Chief

Gravel rigs

On 10/5/2019 at 7:20 PM, TheX said:

So, I can get the levers, rear derailleur, cassette, bars (24 degree flare) and two hose kits for $691.00 from Jenson.  This is all GRX 600 and 800 series stuff.

Let's do this!

What bars did you go with? I'm pretty confused when it comes to curvy bars and what to target in terms of width, drop, and flare and how stem length would come into play. I'm wanting to try a flared bar on my CX bike, but it's much harder to *try* a different style bar when you have to re-wrap it vs. a MTB where everything just bolts on and is easily adjusted.

• Like 1

You're welcome to try my Woodchipper bars.  I think you could try them without wrapping just to see how they feel on the road.  I am pretty sure I've seen road bars with ODI style foam which would make it easy to install and remove.

• Like 1

LOL, the road levers use a different thread size on the master than the mountain levers. Had to order an adapter  for the cup so that I can bleed the new brakes. Just about done with this though.

Edited by TheX

On 10/12/2019 at 8:04 PM, TheX said:

LOL, the road levers use a different thread size on the master than the mountain levers. Had to order an adapter  for the cup so that I can bleed the new brakes. Just about done with this though.

Wow!  That's good to know.  I've not had to bleed my road bike's levers but now I'll be expecting to need a new adaptor.

BTW, after digging through the bits that came with the levers, that adapter is in there. I went ahead and ordered the GRX calipers. They'll be here Thursday. All I'm missing is the crankset, but I'm happy with what I have.

• Like 2

Picked up this f/f set off the ebay and built it up with some goodies from the parts library. It's more of a go anywhere/hipster/urban bike.

trek 720 001.jpg

trek 720 009.jpg

• Like 1