IGNORED

Peddle Pain Be Gone....

RidingAgain

Clipless VS flat is kind of a moot point for me. Coming from years and thousands of road miles with clipless pedals there is not much of an advantage to clipless on an MTB in my opinion. We are not physically designed to pull up on the the pedals on the upstroke while sitting and it doesn't really generate that much power. Standing is a different story you can generate a fair amount of pull when standing. For me on the road bike the clipless pedals were more to get a really good round pedal stroke which is important for efficiency. A round pedal stroke on an MTB is almost impossible due to the terrain being rough and the features you encounter. I tried clipless when I started riding MTB, my bike tried to kill me a few times so that ended the clipless thing for me. When I went a good set of flats with grippy shoes I realized that I get about the same pedal stroke when I'm sitting as I did with the clipless. The flats helped me progress my skills faster then clipless because I wasn't thinking about not being able to get away from my bike in crash situations. As far as the original comment I looked at those pedals and read his agenda just didn't think it was that revolutionary. JMO.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Hopefully moving past the non-related stuff... Came across this video and though not on pedal size, it does speak about foot placement, and I wonder how larger pedals would affect it...

With all due respect, why don't you stop wondering and try it for yourself? 

4 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

meh.....

If you really want to know if wider platforms would work, then there's nothing stopping you from finding out for yourself but you. 

Okay big fella... Thanks for filling me in on that. Although I created the first of four companies at age 25, it's never occurred to me that there's nothing stopping me from finding stuff out but myself. Maybe I need to start all over again.

35 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Okay big fella... Thanks for filling me in on that. Although I created the first of four companies at age 25, it's never occurred to me that there's nothing stopping me from finding stuff out but myself. Maybe I need to start all over again.

https://pedalinginnovations.com/cart/

Anticipating your review

RidingAgain, here's a helpful tip: Take a position on something.

When I look at your threads they are often "here's something" with no context. Is this good? is this bad? Do you agree with this? Do you think this is BS? That is why people might be reacting to you the way that they do. It comes across as either "do my work for me and tell me if this is worthwhile" or "here, let me stir the pot and then jump in on people." If you say "hey, here's something interesting and here are my thoughts" (pro or con), you'll foster a much better discussion.

Just my 2 cents, you're free to disagree with me, just an observation that I have seen several times on your posts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"...It comes across as either "do my work for me and tell me if this is worthwhile" or "here, let me stir the pot and then jump in on people."

Honestly... How hard can this be to grasp.

I come across something I think may interest the mtb community on a website.

I post it with the hope that it initiates a discussion that the community on a whole can benefit from

It's like really simple.

And I participate with my thoughts on the matter, often based on my own experience... Which is what I did on this thread (and other threads).

And I am always appreciative of what others have to say regarding the subject, especially when it is helpful to me.

And I can honestly say that I don't create threads to try to "...stir the pot and then jump in on people..."

The above made clear...

Folks...

This is the last time I'll take the time to explain myself regarding why I create threads... It's not what I'm here to do.

Hope that helps.

Edited by RidingAgain

What's up with the black highlighted font? Does this happen when someone is using the dark theme and copy/pastes? 

Back on the pedal topic, I think part of the PI Pedal huge platform theory is that in the gym, if you are doing squats, you don't balance on a step with your heels off the back suspended in the air. The balls of your feet and heels are equally supporting the load and you actually drive up through the middle of the foot for max efficiency. So why do we perch with only the balls of feet on the pedals?

Seems like a decent argument until you realize that a squat and a pedal stroke are completely different motions under different conditions. If you were to add some instability to your squat with a Bosu ball or something, I'd bet a lot of that weight moves forward to the balls of the feet.

I'm saying this as a lifetime clipless rider. I have tried flat a couple of times, but they never seem to stick. I'm about due for another wave of flat pedal experimentation. It's just hard to do something you know is going to be frustrating when you could easily just stick to what you know. 

6 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

I come across something I think may interest the mtb community on a website.

I post it with the hope that it initiates a discussion that the community on a whole can benefit from

It's like really simple.

And I participate with my thoughts on the matter, often based on my own experience... Which is what I did on this thread (and other threads).

And I am always appreciative of what others have to say regarding the subject, especially when it is helpful to me.

And I can honestly say that I don't create threads to try to "...stir the pot and then jump in on people..."

"I think there was somethng else too, regarding another thread I started. Or maybe it was all the threads I started. Shoot, I lost count of how many times these particulr folk seemed to have a seatpost up their butt over what I posted"

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/members/11545.html

78 threads started by you in the 15 months you were on mojo and you haven't learned yet. The problem is you.  

I don't know what insight you can add when all of your experience is based on technology that is over a decade old. It'd be like me adding my 2c in a discussion about fuel injection when all i've owned is cars with carburetors. You copy/paste/post all of these new concepts and bike parts that you have no intention of buying and can only "wonder" how it would work.

Did you ever build/buy those 29 & 27.5 wheels? 

Did you rebuild your seized lefty fork? 

Did you buy that rear shock? 

Do you even own the bike in your avatar? 

Problem is people like myself get tired of having discussions with someone who never acts on, or finishes the projects they were inquiring and received advice for.  You could, at a minimum stop the C/P/P stories as most of us are on MTBR and PInkbike saw this crap six months ago.  Hell, who's actually interested in buying a fork that looks like a dildo designed by HR Giger?  

You have an old bike, and that's fine. Nobody is judging you for that. Just understand you're outside your wheelhouse on a vast majority of these discussions and then get your feelings hurt when called out on it.

Edited by ATXZJ

5 hours ago, notyal said:

Seems like a decent argument until you realize that a squat and a pedal stroke are completely different motions under different conditions. If you were to add some instability to your squat with a Bosu ball or something, I'd bet a lot of that weight moves forward to the balls of the feet.

I use a bosu when doing squats and yes it changes things quite a bit. It has definitely helped improve my balance as i get older and slower. Agree that the PI pedals would appear to work at the gym but, IRL felt large, clumsy, yet not very grippy when i tried them. They seem to fall into the category of high concept/low execution seen in other less than popular bike innovations. 

Edited by ATXZJ

4 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

"I think there was somethng else too, regarding another thread I started. Or maybe it was all the threads I started. Shoot, I lost count of how many times these particulr folk seemed to have a seatpost up their butt over what I posted"

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/members/11545.html

78 threads started by you in the 15 months you were on mojo and you haven't learned yet. The problem is you.  

I don't know what insight you can add when all of your experience is based on technology that is over a decade old. It'd be like me adding my 2c in a discussion about fuel injection when all i've owned is cars with carburetors. You copy/paste/post all of these new concepts and bike parts that you have no intention of buying and can only "wonder" how it would work.

Did you ever build/buy those 29 & 27.5 wheels? 

Did you rebuild your seized lefty fork? 

Did you buy that rear shock? 

Do you even own the bike in your avatar? 

Problem is people like myself get tired of having discussions with someone who never acts on, or finishes the projects they were inquiring and received advice for.  You could, at a minimum stop the C/P/P stories as most of us are on MTBR and PInkbike saw this crap six months ago.  Hell, who's actually interested in buying a fork that looks like a dildo designed by HR Giger?  

You have an old bike, and that's fine. Nobody is judging you for that. Just understand you're outside your wheelhouse on a vast majority of these discussions and then get your feelings hurt when called out on it.

Dude... Here's a really simple solution for... Get this... Your problem.

Piss off when you see my threads or comments.

It really isn't hard.

Just don't allow your immense ego to get the better of you.

If you can that is.

Your ignorance of this simple solution for you aside...

I don't have a "seized lefty fork"... Never have.

Which means you just spoke out of your butt... As usual.

And my choosing to do anything is most certainly not subject to your preferred timing... But that I guess is just a vanity thing for you.

My buying a rear shock, and building wheels, and starting threads with stuff you've seen, etc... None of your business... If you choose not to make it your business.

Seriously man... You're like the worse whiner troll on these boards.

I know I deservedly slapped you around a bit on Mojo... But grow up and get over it dude. It's a brand new day.

But I'm thinking that you've got too much of a stiffy for me... Just look at your comment footer.

Now... Go outside and play with your fancy super colorful Barney-purple bike.

Edited by RidingAgain