IGNORED

Peddle Pain Be Gone....

RidingAgain

8 hours ago, Albert said:

Yeah, the pedals do have pins, I think.  I'll have to go take a look at them.  I don't think I really want to invest in a pair of "grippy-soled shoes" just to try them out, though. 

Just saying that riding flats with more slippery soles than an engineered rock-climbing or skating sole you may not fully realize what the fuss is all about.

8 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

And "peddle" is what you do when you are trying to sell something.

But hey... I understand... Bit over your head. 

Have to admit I'm not getting it either. So selling pedals is no longer painful because ……. why? Whatever hidden meaning was in there has perhaps gotten lost, as this has just turned into another ever popular flats vs. clipless discussion. Of course any thread that turns into hardy discussion is a good one, and there certainly is no cause for badgering about it. Just curious what the original intent was. 

1 minute ago, Ridenfool said:

To peddle pedals preventing potentially painful podiatry problems.

Fair enough, but then then "Peddle the Pain Away" would have perhaps been a better fit than "Peddle Pain be Gone", which implies that the pain is with the peddling and not the pedaling :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

Getting back on topic, from all of these posts on this lively topic, I've not seen anybody say that going to a longer platform, flat or clipless, has eliminated foot pain for them. Is that fair or are others drawing a different conclusion? I think the vendor in question also claims that their platform increases efficiency, and I'd be interested to know if any flat-pedal riders have had that experience with this longer platform. How about getting lift on flat pedals - any advantage to a longer platform there? Given that these folks have been around a while and no other manufacturer seems to have adopted that longer platform approach, it must not be catching on.  

Edited by throet

I will go ahead and say just that- I migrated from a VP Vice pedal to a Chromag Contact. the Chromag is a much bigger pedal and has a concave shape that feels much better under my foot.

just take the idea to some extreme in your head. imagine standing on a 2 inch square pedal for hours. then imagine standing on a 6"x12" plank. which will cause more fatigue on your foot?

• Like 2

I sound like a broken record but I always compare MTB riding to Dirtbikes as that's were I still have more experience. On any of my bikes my foot pegs were barely 1.25" wide, with aftermarket "wide" pegs being 2-2.5". You needed the pegs as a pivot point for operating the shifter (LH side) and rear brake (RH side) from both a standing and sitting position, hence the "narrow" pivot point. Granted I always rode in a much stiffer soled boot but I never felt that my pegs were narrow, even after 30-60 trail miles (mostly standing). My MTB has a set of Chesters that I (wrongly) ride in trail runners and I've never had a wince of width induced pain. I guess if you have a specific foot problem I can understand the need but I'm not buying it (literally and figuratively). Seems like I would definitely be better off in investing in some real riding shoes. You guys almost have me convinced. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I will go ahead and say just that- I migrated from a VP Vice pedal to a Chromag Contact. the Chromag is a much bigger pedal and has a concave shape that feels much better under my foot.

just take the idea to some extreme in your head. imagine standing on a 2 inch square pedal for hours. then imagine standing on a 6"x12" plank. which will cause more fatigue on your foot?

The pedals being peddled in the link from the original post are 1.5 times longer than your Chromag Contacts! I'm just wanting to know if anybody has gone to such an extreme length and can post positive results from that. Personally I like to be able to bend my shoe (heel) off the back of the pedal, either when digging in on a descent or when pulling up on rear-wheel lifts. The HT pedals that I ride are only slightly shorter than your Chromag Contacts. I also have a pair of Chromag Scarabs on another bike, which are even longer than the Contacts, but still nowhere near as long as the PI pedals. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Fuck off ATXZJ... I don't (edited out) answer to you, (edited out).

"And that my good friends... Is how it's done."

Now back to your copy/paste/post

Exactly what question were you asking or what discussion were you initiating with this;  "For $99 that is... Or so they say..."?

Yes, I have heard of PI, looked into them, played around on a set at a NICA event and decided to pass. They were in my opinion too large and heavy for whatever advantage they may have offered over a traditional platform.  I and a few of my buddies use DMR vaults as they are a larger platform, with a shallow concave and reasonably light for the cost. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Now back to your copy/paste/post

Exactly what question were you asking or what discussion were you initiating with this;  "For $99 that is... Or so they say..."?

Yes, I have heard of PI, looked into them, played around on a set at a NICA event and decided to pass. They were in my opinion too large and heavy for whatever advantage they may have offered over a traditional platform.  I and a few of my buddies use DMR vaults as they are a larger platform, with a shallow concave and reasonably light for the cost. 

There ya go... Your related experience answered your question.

Edited by RidingAgain

6 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

There ya go... Your related experience answered your question.

Yes, take this an example of answering questions in real life. I was interested in PI pedals, tried a set and bought something else. No FB required.

Again, what was your question? What is motivating you to ask this (question)? Your original post was at a minimum ambiguous.  

*Do you have foot pain?

*Are you trying to alleviate your pain by purchasing large platform pedals?

*Are your cheapo pedals having issues?

*Do you have hobbit feet?

As for ever trying the pedals being peddled, I've only had the one set of flats as I'm a cheapskate when trying out new stuff and found a deal on Sunrace (I think) flats. They do have the concave surface and seem to be a largerish pedal. After having done research on what others had found, these features seemed like a good bet toward giving it a whirl and so far I'm happy with the choice. I might someday opt for a thinner pedal (top to bottom) to reduce pedal strikes a little more, but probably not until I have trashed the ones I have.

Coming from a dirt bike and adventure bike background going back to the early 1970s, I have similar experience over the years with motorcycle foot pegs as RedRyder3141 mentioned. Of late, the Adventure crowd and trail/enduro/MX riders have seen new pedal designs on the market that provide a wider and/or longer platform, and some even pivot a few degrees to help accommodate braking and shifting duties. This data contributed in selecting a flat for MTB. Two similar user groups have each found how a larger platform provides better control and reduces strain and fatigue on the foot.

I think the linked pedal that started this thread seems to be a bit over the top in how long they have made it. However, if someone is experiencing foot pain, that pedal might be the solution for them. Or, maybe they aren't wearing the right shoes and for about the same price could try changing that variable before replacing the pedal. Or, perhaps meet in the middle and select some other slightly longer or wider pedal from any of a number of brands.

Choice is always better than no choice.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Yes, take this an example of answering questions in real life. I was interested in PI pedals, tried a set and bought something else. No FB required.

Again, what was your question? What is motivating you to ask this (question)? Your original post was at a minimum ambiguous.  

*Do you have foot pain?

*Are you trying to alleviate your pain by purchasing large platform pedals?

*Are your cheapo pedals having issues?

*Do you have hobbit feet?

Oy vey... ATXZJ... Thanks man... You're like the smartest person around. And wise... Like the smartest, most wise man around.

I'll see if I can find some time today to earnestly consider all the various scenarios you've brought up above.

Not promising anything... But I'll see.

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

That's the same pedal I ride. I went from the Performance house brand Forte Converts (good pedal-I broke the spindle) to those and like the large surface area. It lets me reposition my foot around a bit and still have support. I have a tendency to subconsciously drift my foot position to more of a toes out placement. I have never lost grip because of it. Plus the spikes are accessed from the underside of the pedal which is good for replacement if the top gets mangled from pedal strikes. With the Forte's, you would have to get the vice grips out. With these you can do it with a multitool. Plus the bearings are easier to grease and maintain.