IGNORED

COVID-19...Preparation, or hysteria?

TheX

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

and yet again your incessant narcissism has surfaced, and you inject yourself as a victim in a conversation that has nothing to do with you. 

You must be on drugs... Or off your meds. Honestly... It's the only excuse for your delusional speaking.

I work for a state agency. Large office, not enough toilets, small cubicle layout. Still no word on whether I am expected to be at the office tomorrow.

(Update: I got the memo too late and went in. I was at work for about two hours, then went home.)

I guess I better buy some of the toothpaste Alex Jones is shilling.

3sqylk.jpg

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Sad 1

The French Government has now advised to stop taking NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc) to avoid possible complications with COVID-19. They are saying to take Tylenol instead as a fever reducer. Of course you should call your doctor if you're not convinced, but apparently evidence is emerging to support the association between NSAIDs and COVID-19 complications. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throet said:

The French Government has now advised to stop taking NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc) to avoid possible complications with COVID-19. They are saying to take Tylenol instead as a fever reducer. Of course you should call your doctor if you're not convinced, but apparently evidence is emerging to support the association between NSAIDs and COVID-19 complications. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/doctor-note-ibuprofen-coronavirus-worse-200316045046677.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, throet said:

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 9:43 AM, bestbike85 said:

I also have a tin foil hat on and think this was man made by global powers, 

While I am not convinced of your particular version, make no mistake: opportunistic powers will take advantage of this situation to consolidate power. Those actors come from all corners of the globe from governments, corporations, and other institutions. The US government and the military-industrial complex are among those with the most egregious record for doing this sort of thing.

Naomi Klein's excellent book on the topic, The Shock Doctrine, illustrates many examples. Real estate developers swoop in after a hurricane and re-zone land where poor people once lived and build high-rises where affordable housing once stood. That sort of thing.

Otherwise, are you spouting some Infowars nonsense? 

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

Absolutely, mack_turtle... There are always folks looking to exploit oppression of any kind — wolves in sheep's clothing.

There is no doubt that the resources of the world that human society depends on are being exhausted... 7.5-billion and counting can do that.

Now what?

I think a good measure that the local and federal governments might want to implement is Odd/Even days for people to shop for essentials (some of us here might remember this method for getting gas during the "70's gas shortage). I think something like this would greatly reduce social contact and help to not overburden the supply chain. They could use your address number as a way to determine your day. Of course I know there might be some glitches in this but pretty sure as a society we could find a way to make this work.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chief said:

I think a good measure that the local and federal governments might want to implement is Odd/Even days for people to shop for essentials (some of us here might remember this method for getting gas during the "70's gas shortage). I think something like this would greatly reduce social contact and help to not overburden the supply chain. They could use your address number as a way to determine your day. Of course I know there might be some glitches in this but pretty sure as a society we could find a way to make this work.

This is a really good idea. In Beijing they went to odd/even days for cars based on license plates in order to cut down on pollution. Rich people could get around it (they would buy a second car) but for 90% of the population, it was pretty solid. You don't want to be driving, you stand out and the cops immediately know.

The easiest way to implement it with a grocery store is A-L on one day and M-Z on the other. Basically you have a bouncer out front checking IDs. No ID, no entry. Because it would be an every other day (A-L on odd days, for instance) you'd be ok. People would freak if it was A-D on Mondays only....

Some stores are allowing only seniors in the first hour so that they can shop with less exposure to others.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

This is a really good idea. In Beijing they went to odd/even days for cars based on license plates in order to cut down on pollution. Rich people could get around it (they would buy a second car) but for 90% of the population, it was pretty solid. You don't want to be driving, you stand out and the cops immediately know.

The easiest way to implement it with a grocery store is A-L on one day and M-Z on the other. Basically you have a bouncer out front checking IDs. No ID, no entry. Because it would be an every other day (A-L on odd days, for instance) you'd be ok. People would freak if it was A-D on Mondays only....

Some stores are allowing only seniors in the first hour so that they can shop with less exposure to others.

Good method as well.

California, truly one fucked up place.

LOS ANGELES – California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday evening announced he's enacting a "statewide order" for its nearly 40 million residents to "stay at home," a wide-reaching order for the most populous state in the country as the coronavirus spreads.

The order, taking effect Thursday night, prohibited gatherings outside and required businesses that needed employees to physically report to work to shut down.

And we were allowing spring break at south padre.

I am guessing in about 2-3 weeks we are going to see some patterns develop regarding those that are "too extreme" and those that are not. It will not look pretty. Just look at the difference between Germany and Italy and you start to see that there can be wild swings in outcomes. Too early to tell why, but my gut says that the more drastic you get earlier, the better off you will be. Having spent a lot of time in each country, Germans are very strict about following government rules. Just watch a German pedestrian at an empty intersection late at night waiting for the light to turn green. Contrast that with the Italians that snuck out of lock down to go on their skiing vacations, only to find out later that they were infected and spreading the disease.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheX said:

California, truly one fucked up place.

LOS ANGELES – California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday evening announced he's enacting a "statewide order" for its nearly 40 million residents to "stay at home," a wide-reaching order for the most populous state in the country as the coronavirus spreads.

The order, taking effect Thursday night, prohibited gatherings outside and required businesses that needed employees to physically report to work to shut down.

Starting today shelter in place for me and the wife. One of the issues with this though is that it's going to split families all over. We have our adult kids over for a Sunday meal every week. Moving forward I've expressed to the wife that Sunday meals are going to have to be put on hold until further notice. Let's just say that she was not happy with this.

It's going to be hard if anyones loved ones become ill with this and we're helpless to give them care basically leaving them to fend for themselves. The sad truth is that we're going to have to take these steps to help slow the spread.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

And we were allowing spring break at south padre.

I am guessing in about 2-3 weeks we are going to see some patterns develop regarding those that are "too extreme" and those that are not. It will not look pretty. Just look at the difference between Germany and Italy and you start to see that there can be wild swings in outcomes. Too early to tell why, but my gut says that the more drastic you get earlier, the better off you will be. Having spent a lot of time in each country, Germans are very strict about following government rules. Just watch a German pedestrian at an empty intersection late at night waiting for the light to turn green. Contrast that with the Italians that snuck out of lock down to go on their skiing vacations, only to find out later that they were infected and spreading the disease.

I had heard this a few days ago.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

Edited by Chief
  • Like 1

There's a disturbing trend among certain corners of the media landscape lately to announce sentiments like "I'd rather die than let the economy fall part." they want to send people back to work and school and just let COVID-19 "run its course." they are willing to sacrifice the actual lives of vulnerable people in order to save the economy. some Evangelicals are peppering this nonsense with scripture. have they forgotten about that Golden Calf?

If you or someone you love is spouting nihilistic bullshit like this, try to talk some sense into them. I would recommend a slap to the face, but don't touch other people's faces. not right now, at least.

• Like 4

• Albert locked this topic