IGNORED

Hill Top Trails in Fredricksburg

ATXZJ

Heading out to FB Sunday to scope these out and hit a few wineries afterwards. Have any of you ridden this? We tried in the spring and found the gate was locked and ended up talking to the LBS who informed us that the gate is open 10am-3pm on Sundays and Mondays after 6.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/hill-top-trails/

HTT.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Heading out to FB Sunday to scope these out and hit a few wineries afterwards. Have any of you ridden this?

Their hours are so limited that is hard for me to get there for a decent ride. Maybe @Jessica and I will give them a try sometime though. They post their odd hours on their FaceSpace though and it looks like you're GTG on Sunday.  

Screenshot_20211120-143622_Facebook.thumb.jpg.94c42b3ca618c5394a5e7c796b8776f9.jpg

• Like 1

Went there Sunday and had a surprisingly good time. As some of you know, I can be a bit critical of ctx trails but this one was all smiles. Well marked, good flow and great views. Terrain was really diverse and has a little of everything to offer and feels like a mixture of pedernales (minus all the rocks) RHR, Reimers, Bandera and a little RPR thrown in for good measure.

Hours are changing after Thanksgiving to open later and stay open a little longer. Heads up, there are no bathrooms and it's $10 a day.

IMHO, the builders laid the trails out with enough flow, that it'd be a super fun place for gravel bikes for @Barry & @mack_turtle etc. The single speed dudes would get a kick out of it as well. There's also still enough challenges to keep it interesting for full suspension bike guys.

Wife has declared Fredericksburg her new favorite trail now that most of RHR is basically closed. Was surprised how Well she handled 15 miles her first time out. 

Totally recommend

Only picture I took but there is a lot of cool stuff to see.

IMG_20211121_124535600_HDR.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2021 at 3:56 PM, ATXZJ said:

Went there Sunday and had a surprisingly good time. As some of you know, I can be a bit critical of ctx trails but this one was all smiles. Well marked, good flow and great views. Terrain was really diverse and has a little of everything to offer and feels like a mixture of pedernales (minus all the rocks) RHR, Reimers, Bandera and a little RPR thrown in for good measure.

Hours are changing after Thanksgiving to open later and stay open a little longer. Heads up, there are no bathrooms and it's $10 a day.

IMHO, the builders laid the trails out with enough flow, that it'd be a super fun place for gravel bikes for @Barry & @mack_turtle etc. The single speed dudes would get a kick out of it as well. There's also still enough challenges to keep it interesting for full suspension bike guys.

Wife has declared Fredericksburg her new favorite trail now that most of RHR is basically closed. Was surprised how Well she handled 15 miles her first time out. 

Totally recommend

Only picture I took but there is a lot of cool stuff to see.

IMG_20211121_124535600_HDR.jpg

want to check it out but the rock parts are what make me smile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We made it out here the Sunday before President's Day. There was a port-a-potty by the registration shack. They are pretty inconsistent, you have to check the facebook page every week if you plan to go out, someone basically has to go out of their way (likely ride the trails while they are there) to open/close the gate. The gate was listed as only open from 2-4:30 so we felt really rushed. The gate was open a little before 2 when we got there. The guy who opened it says someone else usually opens it and thought it was open until 5. I ended up getting back to the gate along with another guy around 4:40 and hustled to get loaded and ready to roll. We drove down the road a bit and could see the gate (still open) and were able to chill a bit and have a beer and taco and be able to stop anyone from locking us in, we were there well after 5 and no one had come to close it.

No printed maps available there, I expected it to be a cluster of many small loops by looking at on-line maps but it is about as well marked as anywhere I have ever been. Just follow the red arrows for the full (13ish?) mile loop and at some point you see blue arrows directing you to a shorter loop. You regularly intersect a jeep road(s) with signs directing you 'back' to the parking lot. Overall it is extremely fast and flowy, with most of being in the bottoms in the woods with a few miles worth out in the scrub and up high, It is in really good shape, it seems to get just the right amount of traffic and is mostly true singletrack, not the 3-6' sprawl most of our local trails become, brake ruts, bypasses, etc. Interesting features and trail names. We went when we had the following day off (President's Day) and then went to Kerrville for the night and rode the Kerrville Schreiner trails on Monday before coming home.

If you look closely you can see some golf balls in the trail. This was literally the only sandy part though. Mostly very smooth dirt. Lots of fun. 

20220220_151115.jpg

20220220_153152.jpg

• Like 2

They are basically open Sunday afternoon and Monday evening, and yes, you need to check the FB page to be sure. Someone does have to drive in to open the gate - no one lives on the property. I honestly don't think they'd lock the gates if a car with a bike rack was still sitting in the parking area. There used to be a fun TMBRA marathon event out there - I remain hopeful that someday someone will pick it back up.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

https://www.bikereg.com/63137

TMBRA Marathon race Dec 2nd

Extended hours for course pre ride if you have been wanting to check it out. I enjoy the trail system, fast and flowy but real hill country feel.

Pre-Ride Information: The course will be open the following days for pre-ride:

November 25 9a-4p  

November 26 9a-4p

December 1 9a-6p

Makes for a good overnight combo with the Kerrville trails and brewery options. Just saying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Holy crap!  I rode Hilltop yesterday.  I hadn't driven that way in a long time.  You can't throw a rock and not hit a brewery, winery, or distillery on the way to Fredericksburg!

Yep. Sorry for the delayed response. In Fredericksburg I have only tried Fredericksburg Brewing on Main and Altstadt (both decent with good food). I was shocked at the number of new breweries that popped up near F'burg. I am semi-used to all the wineries, but yeah they have multiplied as have the distilleries. We also stop frequently at Pecan Street in Johnson City, but I saw they have a second one there too. We usually stay in Kerrville and like Pint and Plow (decent beer/good food/nice place with patio, live music, etc). I have also tried Brewers Basement (which has really good beer but only food trucks). I noticed there are at least 2 more in Kerrvile now too. Of course the whole Dripping Springs/Fitzhugh stretch has another dozen at least. Suds Monkey is a good stop for PAs and IPAs and you can order a pretty good pizza online on the way if you are tight on time. I wish that area wasn't so painful to get to from NW Austin. So many options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1