IGNORED

Enchilada Buffet

crazyt

I've got to look at my calendar more closely, but as usual, I'm up for leading a Thumper-St Eds pre-ride.  Would be great to do it on a Saturday.  But I know my Saturdays are fairly busy at moment.  I'm thinking a Thursday or two could be in the works.

-CJB

I started my training because I will be out of town for a big chunk of time between now and the EB. Most of my training rides will be weekdays. If anyone wants to join, ping me. My typical route will be from central Austin to the GB, up 360, all of the steep climbs, a lap around CP and then back. ~50 miles and 3K+ of climbing. That will put you in shape.

Quite a lot of prep work has already taken place for this year's EB. Trail Angels have been recruited, the turns on the Green Belt have been marked, an additional water stop has been added, and the route is being checked to make sure nothing has changed since last year. Stickers and decent first place finisher awards have been made, tee shirt ordering is being worked on. Once everything is as final as it can be, and the weather has cooled off some, one or two pre-rides will be announced. Hey, you can go ride any of it at any time, though! 

Edited by TAF
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

every year I say I am going to drag my ass out for this, and every year I don't convince me to go do it!

Don't feel like you don't have to do it all if you don't feel like you can't do the whole thing.  The whole spirit of this ride is you "eat" as much as you can.  I highly recommend doing the morning neutral ride to the BCGB, doing some of the BCGB then heading back if you want.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Don't feel like you don't have to do it all if you don't feel like you can't do the whole thing.  The whole spirit of this ride is you "eat" as much as you can.  I highly recommend doing the morning neutral ride to the BCGB, doing some of the BCGB then heading back if you want.

If I drag myself out to start this thing I will drag it through every mile of this thing. No cutsies. I think this is why I am so hesitant to start this thing, because I don't know if I will let myself not finish.

51 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

If I drag myself out to start this thing I will drag it through every mile of this thing. No cutsies. I think this is why I am so hesitant to start this thing, because I don't know if I will let myself not finish.

Then I'd wager there is a 99.9% chance that you'll finish!  Over the years, this type of attitude is the #1 determiner if someone can complete the EB.  Its not how fit you are, or how technical you can ride, or whatever....it's an unrelenting motivation to NO QUIT.  Those other things, they determine how you will feel in the days following the EB.

The first year of the EB we had 2 guys who were work friends who had picked up riding MTB together.  I think by the time the EB came along they had only been riding lipless pedals for a few months.  We had another guy who was riding long(er) travel trail bike before that was 'en vogue'.  After finishing, he said the longest ride he'd ever done was only 25 miles.  He completed the EB on a 5"+ travel bike with chunky rubber (this was back in 08').  I could keep going, but you get the idea...

-CJB

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 3

Just now, mack_turtle said:

serious question- What GPS units are you using that last all of EB? the battery in my watch or my phone would die within 5-6 hours.

I'm currently using a Garmin Edge 800 that can last through the whole thing.  As long as you leave the backlight off and don't have it displaying a map page.  If you're using a phone, I'd probably bring an external battery pack and have it plugged into your phone.  That gets trickier if you have your phone mounted to the bike.  Could always tape the battery pack to your frame. 😄 

13 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

So do people carry a tent or do you just bivy overnight for two or three nights? where does everyone sleep?

If the mileage is extended much beyond 80 miles, that will certainly be a valid concern.  😄

50 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

serious question- What GPS units are you using that last all of EB? the battery in my watch or my phone would die within 5-6 hours.

Currently using a Garmin Edge 800. It will make the whole ride. The Garmin Forerunners (310 and 910?) would not make the distance before the battery died. My phone still has battery left but I know NOT to use it for navigation. The map apps I tried before used a TON of battery. I have not used the app built into the iPhone or Google maps. 

In spite of Cody's history that people can finish as long as they don't quit - I would pre ride and learn the route before the EB. Call me silly if you want but I want to feel like I am ready and can make everything.

22 minutes ago, cxagent said:

In spite of Cody's history that people can finish as long as they don't quit - I would pre ride and learn the route before the EB. Call me silly if you want but I want to feel like I am ready and can make everything.

Please don't get me wrong.  I think it is very wise and prudent to prepare and train properly.  The better prepared you are the better of a day you will have.  Its part of why I try to lead a handful of Thumper EB pre-rides leading up to the event.  I REALLY want people to be more familiar with that trail and what they are getting in to.  But what I also want to convey is that this IS NOT an event for the 'hardcore' riders only.  I think riders who look towards the EB end up feeling its just sooooo big and soooooo out of reach.  Its not and thats the example I want to show them.

All that being said, we are now about 2 months away from the event date.  If you are wanting to build real fitness beforehand, you cannot wait any longer.  Its time to get training, NOW.

-CJB

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CBaron said:

All that being said, we are now about 2 months away from the event date.  If you are wanting to build real fitness beforehand, you cannot wait any longer.  Its time to get training, NOW.

-CJB

I am afraid I am about 24 months to late "to build real fitness". But better late than not at all.

• Like 3

My thought on this is that the hardest part is not the ride, it is the saddle time. My legs made it with no problem but my ass was the thing I had the most challenges with. 

My recommendation is start training, start riding long distances. 40miles. 50. 60. And so on. If you can get yourself used to riding 60 miles befor the event, you can do 80 miles on the day. 

Chamois butter is sold in single serving sizes, bring a couple with you. I cannot overstate the shorts issue.  Shoes as well. 

I put bar ends on so I have extra positions for my hands to keep things fresh. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it'd be very difficult to complete the EB if you're not accustomed to long rides.  Doing the Enchilada Buffet is no joke.  The whole package requires that you be in decent enough shape to pedal for hours and hours through some of the toughest trails in Austin (BCGB, City Park, Thumper), plus the horrific road climbs connecting those trails.  It's not something you're just going to hop in the saddle and succeed at if you're used to 20 mile rides at a reasonably casual pace.  While some might get away with it, the rest of us need to acclimate ourselves to such feats. 

I agree with John, train yourself to ride longer and longer distances.  Learn what kind of nutrition your body needs for these long rides.  See how comfortable you are on the bike for such long periods and make any adjustments you can.  Having bar ends is a good idea, on my 50 mile ride yesterday they would have been nice.  I need to get some new gloves as the pads in my palms were uncomfortable after 30+ miles.  

7 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I have done a few 100k gravel races. I am pretty wiped at the end of those. That's about 63 miles of "roads." 80+ miles that includes a lot of technical trail sounds like quite a task.

This is not gravel. The EB is a mental game. You need to ride each trail system independently, so you know what to expect, how long it will take, and where you are in the big scheme of things. For me, at least, the road connectors are a time to settle back, relax, listen to some tunes, and hydrate. Having said all that - yes, it's harder than a 100k gravel race .... but not impossible!

• Like 2