IGNORED

Which of these trails do you ride the most?

WhoAmI

What trail do you ride the most?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these trails do you ride the most?

• Walnut Creek
    • The Greenbelt
    • SATN
    • Brushy Creek
    • Suburban Ninja
    • City Park
    • Reveille Peak
    • Spider Mountain
    • Muleshoe
    • Pace Bend
    • Remiers
    • Slaughter Creek
    • Rocky Hill
    • Thumper
    • Other

Um, yeah, my go to trail is the one closest to me. So much of a "go-to" that I've now built about half of the loop. 😁

Maybe I need to get out more and go ride some of the other trails on that list that I've helped with over the years. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Ridenfool

3 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

The trail I have ridden the most over the 30+ years I have been mountain biking in Austin is Walnut Creek....b/c of our Tuesday night R&I, which has been going on since 2001 or 2002.  My go-to tail is SN these days.

Same on both. Although for the dozen+ years I worked downtown I rode BCGB after work once or twice a week while the traffic died down. 

"Slaughter Creek" is one of the choices. I'm guessing that is referring to Maxwell Slaughter Creek? We regard that as part of the SATN. 

I ride SATN almost exclusivly because I'm in the middle of it and can pick and chose what experience I want for each ride. I have ridden all the other choices on the poll except Thumper and Spider. I will ride them eventually.

Someone posted somewhere that according to TrailForks Austin has over 1,000 miles of single track. I didn't doubt it all. I also saw a weighted map of the USA showing the density of trail. There were not many spots in the country with as much a concentration as we have. We are very lucky to have such a diversity and choice of trails.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

Someone posted somewhere that according to TrailForks Austin has over 1,000 miles of single track. I didn't doubt it all. I also saw a weighted map of the USA showing the density of trail. There were not many spots in the country with as much a concentration as we have. We are very lucky to have such a diversity and choice of trails.

I looked at this when I was weighing where to move to next...I looked at "MTB" places.  Maybe some have nice trails a drive a way, but my criteria was being able to do something like the EB, and not many places would qualify.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The Tip said:

"Slaughter Creek" is one of the choices. I'm guessing that is referring to Maxwell Slaughter Creek? We regard that as part of the SATN. 

A cursory search shows that whoever created the trail on Trail Forks called it that.  I've simply known it as Slaughter Creek since we designed the trail.  Calling it Maxwell Slaughter Creek is like calling City Park "Emma Long" or Town Lake "Lady BIrd Lake" or the Greenbelt the "Barton Creek Greenbelt."  Only people who aren't native Austinites or haven't been in Austin long use these names.  🙂

It originally was called Slaughter Creek only, true. But now it's called Maxwell by those of us really in the know. This is to differentiate it from the multiple other trails in the SATN that are also named simply Slaughter Creek. There is a Slaughter Creek trail in Bauerle Ranch. There are the Slaughter Creek trails in Circle C park. And guess what the new multi-use trail in Mary Moore Searight is named? yup, "Slaughter Creek Trail Loop." 

And an irony about Maxwell Slaughter Creek is that you never see Slaughter Creek itself except at the entrance!

I'm not sure what TrailForks you were looking at. But the one I just checked had it properly named:

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/maxwell-slaughter-creek-trail/

• Like 1

Admittedly, I don't go south of the river much and really only ride the GB when I do.  I've ridden some of the SATN trails once recently and some of it long ago before people started calling it SATN.  

As far as Trail Forks, I was looking at Google search results, and the only result that showed that name was Trail Forks. Also, I only use Trail Forks in places in which I'm unfamiliar with the trails.

image.thumb.png.cf7c862e558654a2c28a5c8cd4318545.png

I kind of consider Brushy Creek and Suburban Ninja the same trail network because I frequently hit both and sometimes both in the same ride. But I guess they technically are not connected. 

I hit the regional trail from my house and run Brushy Creek(Peddlers, Mulligan, Deception, Picnic) and then run up through the neighborhood to Suburban Ninja and run that until I hit Redhorn for beers.

Then a slow ride home back down SN along the creek, downhill through the neighborhood, back on the regional trail and home. 

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, quixoft said:

I kind of consider Brushy Creek and Suburban Ninja the same trail network because I frequently hit both and sometimes both in the same ride. But I guess they technically are not connected. 

I hit the regional trail from my house and run Brushy Creek(Peddlers, Mulligan, Deception, Picnic) and then run up through the neighborhood to Suburban Ninja and run that until I hit Redhorn for beers.

Then a slow ride home back down SN along the creek, downhill through the neighborhood, back on the regional trail and home. 

If I lived closer to both trail systems, I would do something similar.  I live near Parmer and McNeil and ride my bike to SN to ride that trail, taking as much not-road as I can.  I don't ride on Parmer anymore, so I don't take the most direct routes.  My routes are usually around 10 miles to get there.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2023 at 12:35 PM, WhoAmI said:

Admittedly, I don't go south of the river much and really only ride the GB when I do.  I've ridden some of the SATN trails once recently and some of it long ago before people started calling it SATN.  

As far as Trail Forks, I was looking at Google search results, and the only result that showed that name was Trail Forks. Also, I only use Trail Forks in places in which I'm unfamiliar with the trails.

image.thumb.png.cf7c862e558654a2c28a5c8cd4318545.png

It is soon to be official. The stakeholders and the city officials have met and okayed the name to now be "Maxwell Trails". It will take awhile to be changed on all the different platforms.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...