IGNORED

Exodus...movement of ja people

Bamwa

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

best thread so far. it has me singing/humming reggae, feelin' irie.

Ba da, biddy ba da, biddy Bing bong bong.  Of course it wouldn't be mojo if the post title was spelled correctly, Jah?

Edited by Bamwa

I've been jumping back over occasionally to see if there's anything in play, and it looks like as of this morning the bots are back in action. There still appears to be quite a contingent of folks over there resisting the movement. Hard to tell if it's for sentimental reasons or just the idea of maintaining a historical archive or perhaps even just resistance to change. Personally I like change when it is for the better, and this is definitely better, so far. For those committed to the change, my question is, should we:

1) Make a compelling case for the holdouts to join us over here?

2) Establish solidarity in resisting any effort from the holdouts to lure us back?

3) Just let it be and become the AFL of Austin MTB Forums?  

• Like 2

RA wants to make us think he likes it here, but he posts this at mojo.

Yeh I said it... Mojo feels will the one you can kind of hang out with and hold close... The other website feels like you gotta be all formal.

I know, people are trying to go all Mojo on it... But it feels forced.

Mojo just feels normal.

Am I just crazy in love or what.
  • I still go to both, not a big deal.

My thoughts are since the admins there never check in or do anything, they aren't going to take it down.  I assume the forum will be there in perpetuity. So if we ever need to reference something we will always be able to go look it up there. There might be 231 pages of Korean to get past, but it will be there. I personally like the, "You might be a trail builder..." thread for example. I might go and find it at some point.

But this is much better. Administered by a fellow MBer, and specifically for Austin folks.

I laughed thinking about (not at) the one poster there that was all nostalgic for Mojo. He has been a member for all of 13 months now. If some of you long time Mojo-ers can see the benefits of this move, then why can't everyone. It's not like we are going to hurt the feelings of our good friends that run it, right?

• Like 6

That was the mentality for my move over here. It's not like it's a rider maintaining the site that is letting it fall behind trying to juggle work, actually riding, kids, marriage and so on. There's obviously no sentimentality towards the board, so this is what happens when you show a lack of care. I don't care either. I like the features here more anyways.

Edited by MrMentallo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

My thoughts are since the admins there never check in or do anything, they aren't going to take it down.  I assume the forum will be there in perpetuity. So if we ever need to reference something we will always be able to go look it up there. There might be 231 pages of Korean to get past, but it will be there. I personally like the, "You might be a trail builder..." thread for example. I might go and find it at some point.

But this is much better. Administered by a fellow MBer, and specifically for Austin folks.

I laughed thinking about (not at) the one poster there that was all nostalgic for Mojo. He has been a member for all of 13 months now. If some of you long time Mojo-ers can see the benefits of this move, then why can't everyone. It's not like we are going to hurt the feelings of our good friends that run it, right?

I have no idea who the admin or admins are over on MoJo, but I think it's been running on "cruise control" for some time.  The forum software hasn't been updated in five years, and there are known exploits for that version of vBulletin.  Spicewookie was doing a good job of cleaning up the spam from the bots, but they've become increasingly aggressive, and at one point there was a new spam post once a minute in Austin VooDoo.  I know the admins cleaned up Austin VooDoo, but the rest of the forum is still plagued with spam and it doesn't look like they made any effort to delete all the spam accounts or clean up anything outside of that.  

I've been watching new registrations on MoJo, and the bots are still registering at the rate of around 15 a day.  And I'm sure 95% of new registrations (if not more) are spambots.  Just take a look at the links for each of the home icons you can see at the above link and they all go to some sketchy website.  And there was another big wave of spam early this morning. 

I have had people ask if I can transplant threads from MoJo to this forum.  While technically it would be possible (and I could certainly do it with a copy of the forum database), legally it's a sketchy area.  I'd need permission from whoever owns Bike MoJo first.  And many forums are setup where individual members own their comments, so in cases like that you'd really need permission from all those people to copy their comments over.  Which obviously would be a huge pain in the ass.  Creating an archive of Austin VooDoo would be a great idea and is something I could do, but again, I'd need a copy of the database and the blessing of Bike MoJo's owner at a minimum.  I could import the entirety of Austin VooDoo into a forum here so people could continue to reference threads, and if something were to happen to Bike MoJo, at least that would be saved for posterity.  If the current admins are asleep at the wheel, one of the following things is going to eventually happen: 1) The site goes away when the owner stops paying for the hosting costs, 2) The hard drive on the site crashes, taking the site with it, 3) The forum database crashes, making the site inaccessible, or 4) The site gets hacked and erased.  I have no idea if active backups are being made of the site, but if not and any of the above happens, that would probably be the end of all those posts forever. 

I just want to have a place to talk about mountain biking on a site that is actively maintained.  And if the person running the site is a local who is actively involved in mountain biking, that is certainly a plus.  I want to have some fun with this site, and it's a modern platform that will give me the flexibility to add some cool features over time.  I completely understand people not wanting to move to another forum, or not happy about change.  Hell, anytime I make significant changes to my other forum, there are people who grouse about it for a while.  Yeah, this site has a bit more "structure" than posting everything in "Austin VooDoo", but I'm ultimately hoping this site will garner more traffic, and the organization of forums will be needed.  

And I'm open to suggestions on how to improve the forum, so please don't hesitate to say anything if you have an idea to make something better, or there's something you don't like.  I won't be offended. 

..Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheX said:

RA wants to make us think he likes it here, but he posts this at mojo.

Yeh I said it... Mojo feels will the one you can kind of hang out with and hold close... The other website feels like you gotta be all formal.

I know, people are trying to go all Mojo on it... But it feels forced.

Mojo just feels normal.

Am I just crazy in love or what.
  • I still go to both, not a big deal.

Formal and forced...? I mean, yea, there is better organization and it's more modern, but the party feels the same to me... if anything, the new forum just makes the party more fun... and I won't have to constantly monitor the number of messages in my stupid inbox...

5 hours ago, The Tip said:

My thoughts are since the admins there never check in or do anything, they aren't going to take it down.  I assume the forum will be there in perpetuity. So if we ever need to reference something we will always be able to go look it up there. There might be 231 pages of Korean to get past, but it will be there. I personally like the, "You might be a trail builder..." thread for example. I might go and find it at

It will continue on as the keeper of the Brushy Creek mega thread... I'll bet that 70% of the members that frequent that thread don't even venture into the rest of VooDoo... heck, I did only on occasion... and those people don't even know that we jumped ship; even Ganderson, who steps into VooDoo some, told me on our ride today that he didn't even know that this happened, or about the bots... unless the bots find their way into threads, many in that thread will never know.

But, I'm fine with that, and like all the others that are subscribed to that thread with notifications (really kinda it's own community now), I'll probably continue to contribute to its survival, since I live mostly on Deception anyway.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1