IGNORED

Peddle Pain Be Gone....

RidingAgain

I've never used flats.  Even when I started mountain biking (around 1991) I was using toe clips.  Amazingly I didn't kill myself using those things.  I eventually graduated to clipless pedals.  Those shoes have very stiff soles, and I've never had foot pain, even on very long rides.  What kind of shoes do people typically ride with flats? 

..Al

25 minutes ago, Albert said:

What kind of shoes do people typically ride with flats? 

..Al

I am riding in Adidas Terrex Solo somethings. they were about half the price of Five Tens and I can't bring my cheap bastard self to spend $150 on some sneakers. they have Stealth rubber similar to what Five Ten uses because Adidas owns Five Ten. the general consensus is that Five Tens make the best flat-pedal shoe out there. some people prefer a super stiff sole but none of the mtb-specific sneakers on the market have a sole nearly as stiff as most mtb clipless shoes. most of them are just built like a beefy skate shoe from the 90s. (Damn I miss my Emerica Templtons!)

The guy who designed these pedals has a whole Flat Pedal Manifesto page that is quite compelling. he does not believe that you need a super-stiff shoe for cycling and goes into that theory in some detail. as someone who prefers to wear minimalist type shoes all the time, I agree with his premise. I'll let you all go read it yourself before you judge the whole idea. the pedal is based on that idea- that the pedal should support your shoe so you don't need a shoe that's so stiff that your foot can't move in it.

• Like 2

I've really only used 5-10s since switching to flats a couple of years ago. I did try the new Afton MTB shoes, but the soles tore up pretty quickly. I had bought a pair of 5-10 Sleuths on sale for like $45 a while back and just broke them out recently. They have a different sole pattern than what I was used to with the FreeRiders. The uppers are completely canvas, very minimal, and I bought them thinking I would just wear them now and again for quick rides. They have quickly become my favorite shoes though. Unfortunately I can't find them now for under $100.

I read part of the flat-pedal manifesto before making the switch to flats, but was never sold on needing a humongous pedaling platform. I've never experienced foot pain issues either though, on clipless or flats, except for the times I've smashed my feet on rocks and roots. 

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

During the transition, did you have any close calls due to being used to being attached to the bike?  I’ve tried it and almost hurt myself a few times.

yes, but the learning curve is fast. the transition from flats to clipping in is a lot harder than the other way. I started on flat BMX pedals and "graduated" to SPDs. I ate shit so many times while learning to use SPDs but eventually got comfortable with it. give flats (good pedals and good shoes!) three or four rides and you get used to dropping your heels, which is better technique anyways. I used to ride with cleated pedals with my toes DOWN until I forced myself to lose that habit, which was difficult.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

During the transition, did you have any close calls due to being used to being attached to the bike?  I’ve tried it and almost hurt myself a few times.

i also used clips back in the early 90’s.  Not only that, I’d cinch them tight!

The biggest thing I had to get used to was staying planted when accelerating hard up a hill. Seems I'd be fine adding thrust to gain momentum ahead of the climb, but as soon as I hit the incline a foot would go flying off the pedal. That resolved itself within a week or so. I also hadn't graduated to jumps or drops prior to switching from clipless to flats. Learning to do jumps on flats was challenging, but I suppose it was best that I learned that way vs. having my feet connected to the pedals.  

Used SPD for years. Then switched to Time when I had knee issues. Been on Time since then and never had an issue. SPDs are more universal, but they do bring some unanticipated challenges to your body. Times are more forgiving.

As for flats, I use them periodically and I am so used to clips that flats scare the crap out of me. Clipped in = confidence, flats =no confidence for me. I like going into a sketchy section without any worry that my foot is going to come off the pedal. As a kid I had an incident with a foot slipping off a pedal, catching the pedal at speed with my achilles tendon, which stopped the bike cold and threw me over the bars. Not fun. I prefer the confidence of being hooked in. That also forces me to attempt more features, because I am basically committed to forward momentum.

• Like 1

I converted to flats after fifteen or so years of clipless riding. On like the third ride with flats my ass was saved when the front wheel dug into a root on a downhill, launching the bike ass over tea-kettle. I just walked over the bars and down the trail as the bike endoed behind me, bending the seat rails when it hit. Probably would have been uglier had I been clipped in. I've broken a wrist when nearly stationary and fell on the downhill side and couldn't get out quick enough. Flats give me more confidence than riding clipped in. I preferred skateboards over skates for similar reasons. You can't jump off of skates, nor while clipped in.

Bought some previous year's model 5-Tens from their old stock on the mfg website, cheap. Will likely look at Ride Concepts next, if I ever wear them out.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/first-look-ride-concepts-livewire-flat-pedal-mountain-bike-shoe/

One investment I made was to add lightweight shin guards to my armor, in the case of pedal strikes, but haven't had a hit yet. I was quite amazed at the grip of flats, which seem quite comparable to clipless, except when bunny-hopping and other vertical lifting pursuits. That sort of thing is a new technique I have yet to master on flats.

As for foot pain, I've experienced it after long rides on flats, and while using clipless over the years. Mostly in the arch and usually not noticed until the day after the ride.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Been on Time since then and never had an issue.

I've been on Time pedals since I switched to clipless pedals ages ago.  They've generally worked really well, but once the metal "bars" get bent (from slamming into rocks), you can pop out of them too easily when you don't want to.  But the pedals have always lasted years for me, and I have them on four different bikes.  I have seen many reports that their newer pedals are poorer quality. 

I really have no desire to go to flat pedals, but I find it fascinating that people are riding technical trails with them, and doing it well.  

..Al

• Like 1