IGNORED

I know there are online gear ratio calculators, but...

notyal

27 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Also can't see 5mm making much difference with pedal clearance. I got a lot less strikes when i learned better timing and to ratchet backwards instead of continuing to pedal the crank. Trailbike has 175mm with DMR vaults.

I kind of thought pedal ratcheting went without saying. And no, 5mm doesn't make a ton of difference if you're rock crawling, but on the random light strikes, the slight hits can turn into just misses. I mean, it is necessarily fewer. And the shorter the cranks the fewer still. Like a lot of things on the bike, small variations can make a big difference. Until you get used to the difference that is, and it normalizes. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Barry said:

I kind of thought pedal ratcheting went without saying. And no, 5mm doesn't make a ton of difference if you're rock crawling, but on the random light strikes, the slight hits can turn into just misses. I mean, it is necessarily fewer. And the shorter the cranks the fewer still. Like a lot of things on the bike, small variations can make a big difference. Until you get used to the difference that is, and it normalizes. 

Yes.  I've actually been shocked at how used you can get to your extremities and by extension things like handlebar ends and pedals.  Can we call it proprioception when it's not a part of your body?  

One of the things I do when riding road is to ride in the gutters when the rest of it is rough.  For me it's like practicing skinnies (no, I never pretend I'm on stage 21 of the TdF riding the Champs Elysees on the gutter to avoid the rough paveé) but I also get to get used to handling around mailboxes and the curb.  It's amazing how close I come to hitting my pedals on the curb.  If I'm ever close enough to strike while the pedal is at the bottom, I know to tilt the bike to compensate.  I've grazed the pedals 2-3 times ever.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

One of the things I do when riding road is to ride in the gutters when the rest of it is rough.  For me it's like practicing skinnies (no, I never pretend I'm on stage 21 of the TdF riding the Champs Elysees on the gutter to avoid the rough paveé) but I also get to get used to handling around mailboxes and the curb.  It's amazing how close I come to hitting my pedals on the curb.  If I'm ever close enough to strike while the pedal is at the bottom, I know to tilt the bike to compensate.  I've grazed the pedals 2-3 times ever.

Did someone say Beauford Drive?

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

i think of it all in terms of leverage

If you're trying to move a large rock, you get the longest breaker bar for the most force multiplication. That multiplication will also move the rock the shortest distance. At some point between the gear ratios and crank length, it all becomes relative.

Also can't see 5mm making much difference with pedal clearance. I got a lot less strikes when i learned better timing and to ratchet backwards instead of continuing to pedal the crank. Trailbike has 175mm with DMR vaults.

Yeah, I get how gear ratios, torque, and leverage work. That's why I'm a little surprised there isn't a concrete answer to my question. "Subtract 1 tooth from the chainring for each 10mm of crank length" or something. I guess body geometry would factor in as well. Maybe that's the wildcard when you start talking about how it feels. 

Just like anything in life, equipment is no substitute for better technique. That doesn't stop me from wanting better equipment. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, notyal said:

Yeah, I get how gear ratios, torque, and leverage work. That's why I'm a little surprised there isn't a concrete answer to my question. "Subtract 1 tooth from the chainring for each 10mm of crank length" or something. I guess body geometry would factor in as well. Maybe that's the wildcard when you start talking about how it feels. 

TBH, there really is no concrete answer when it comes to this

• Like 2