IGNORED

Anybody here think the Enchilada Buffet is to easy?

CBaron

43 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

What about keeping the traditional "buffet", then adding a "dessert" option for the superhumans?

Thats the idea, but it would go at the beginning.

The plan would be to begin around midnight before the EB at LGT.  Make a lap of LGT, then ride down Parmer to Deception, then continue on along Parmer to WC.  The goal would be to arrive for the start of the EB just before 6:30am.  

-CJB

5 minutes ago, CBaron said:

The plan would be to begin around midnight before the EB at LGT.  Make a lap of LGT, then ride down Parmer to Deception, then continue on along Parmer to WC.  The goal would be to arrive for the start of the EB just before 6:30am.  

-CJB

Ah, so an appetizer... chips n queso, if you will...

4 hours ago, CBaron said:

>I AM NO LONGER AFFILIATED WITH THE EB AND THUS HAVE ZERO INFLUENCE WITH THE OFFICIAL ROUTE.  

Not entirely the case, CJB - a small few of us are merely the keepers of the flame , and your voice is still a mighty one. The EB is still a great challenge to many in our area, but if the founders want to add a dessert portion - who are we to complain! We shall shut up and enjoy our pudding.

• Like 1

Thanks Tony for the kind words.  However, I was just trying to be clear in that the content/ideas contained in this forum thread do no represent 'formal changes' to our beloved Enchilada Buffet.  If this option comes to light, then it will only be for those who voluntarily desire to punish themselves.  :)

-CJB

• Like 1

I have finished it four years in a row, so my gut says that most riders in Austin probably could, I am not an expert rider by any means. 

Make it harder? No. If you want more of a challenge then ride the nutcracker or another longer ride. Don’t make it easier, don’t make it harder. Nobody ever says “hey, how about the Indianapolis 600...”

i would be all for an EB+ route for people who want more of a challenge, but the current configuration is a sweet spot with most able to finish it in <12 hours. 

Trust me, it is not too easy. When we get to the point of having too many riders then maybe that becomes a consideration but we are a long way from there. 

• Like 1

Also, if people cut the track, and many do either on accident or on purpose, they are only cheating themselves. In my opinion we only need to care about the “winners” - if you want to claim the top spot then you need to be able to prove you rode it all. For everyone else, it’s really all about you.

• Like 4

-CJB

An acquaintance of mine- Todd D did something like this a year or two back. IIRC he started at 12-1am and I believe rode LGT prior to EB. I think he finished that but then fell short of some other crazy goal he had for the end of his epic epic.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Also, if people cut the track, and many do either on accident or on purpose, they are only cheating themselves. In my opinion we only need to care about the “winners” - if you want to claim the top spot then you need to be able to prove you rode it all. For everyone else, it’s really all about you.

If you want to catch people at cheating, make them use a GPS device (which can be a phone) that records their track and distance and take a look at it after they come across the finish line..

4 hours ago, Albert said:

If you want to catch people at cheating, make them use a GPS device (which can be a phone) that records their track and distance and take a look at it after they come across the finish line..

That's exactly what happens, and is what should have happened a few years ago when a bunch of outtatowners came through town to show us how it's done.  No one gets accused of cheating, but you need have 83.5 miles on your GPS (or whatever it happens to be), AND no one protesting that they passed you multiple times, yadda yadda, to be in the clear.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 2:58 PM, Albert said:

Most phone batteries would be dead after 10 or 12 hrs running gps. My cateye might could but it's not gps. Also can I cry one more time about the og GB route? Bring that shiz for the 10th anvsry. Easy up my ass.

• Like 1

I've been 1 part "forgotten about" this post, and 2 parts "avoiding the topic" of this post.

Part of my impetus for starting this thread was the fact that the next day (Sat 25th) I was going to make a run at what I was calling an EB Prologue.  It was to consist of parking at Camp Tejas and making a lap of LGT, then riding down Parmer and doing Peddler's Pass, then Deception proper (1/4 notch & DD).  From there I'd jump back onto Parmer and head to WC for completion.  It was my goal to cover that distance so that I could get an idea for the distance and time to completion.  This would then give me an idea of what time I'd have to begin in order to start (the night before the EB) with this route as a Prologue to the EB.  I was estimating it would be about 6.5 hrs and about 60-65 miles.

I WAS WRONG!

I ended up having one of my worst days on the bike that Saturday while attempting to do this "EB Prologue" ride.  I won't go into the details again here, much of it is summarized on my Strava post.  But I ended up having to pull the plug on my day and have my wife come pick me up at 7hrs, 50 miles, and an aborted run on Deception, which was punctuated by me having to lay down in the stream for recovery.  https://www.strava.com/activities/1797161605

Now that I've got some distance between myself and that day, I'm not entirely sure what my plan is now.  According to my calendar, upon a successful completion of the EB Prologue (on the 25th), I am suppose to be scheduled to do a nighttime LGT lap this coming Friday.  However, at this moment, I really don't plan to do that.  (Let me know if any of you have a hard-on for a Friday night LGT lap and I may possibly reconsider it)  But I'm beginning to think that this ENTIRE idea, doing the EB Prologue beginning at midnight before the EB as a tribute to the Enchilda Buffet's 10 yr anniversary, may just have to be my White Whale for now.

I also think I may have to give out a retraction of sorts to my....the EB is completely doable with grit and determination comments earlier in this (and the other EB post).  Now, in all fairness, I do still believe that.  But it does REQUIRE a qualification.  There is a big difference between: Wow this is difficult, I've never ridden my bike this far, I'm tired & hungry and want to go home....versus.....holy shit I'm seeing stars, my body is feeling cold (and its 100* outside), and I can no longer pedal a bicycle.  Knowing yourself as an athlete, rider, person will best help you to determine these differences and thus make smart decisions on going fwd or not.  The EB is designed to lead rookies into deeper waters so that they can safely accomplish something bigger than what they may have ever done.  Its not designed to lead someone to health issues or (semi) permanent damage.

Later,  -CJB

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CBaron said:

It was to consist of parking at Camp Tejas and making a lap of LGT, then riding down Parmer and doing Peddler's Pass, then Deception proper (1/4 notch & DD).  From there I'd jump back onto Parmer and head to WC for completion.  It was my goal to cover that distance so that I could get an idea for the distance and time to completion.  This would then give me an idea of what time I'd have to begin in order to start (the night before the EB) with this route as a Prologue to the EB.  I was estimating it would be about 6.5 hrs and about 60-65 miles.

This seems insane to me given what the temp and humidity must have been on 8/25. Hopefully you didn't have any open wounds laying in that stream, or your biggest worry might be flesh-eating bacteria. 

Wow, I hadn't seen your Strava ride or comments, had no idea you were attempting that ride.  On the surface it doesn't seem horrible, but the heat can make a big difference for me when attempting an epic ride like that.  

I've wanted to do a full lap of LGT at night for some time now, but have yet to do so.  I'm not sure this Friday is going to be an idea time to do this, though, given the current weather forecast: 

image.png.a5a6d97114ebc74c86db7fc4ec3d9152.png

Friday night:

image.png.617141836fc3a15a3771a1b65c9da829.png

Saturday morning: 

image.png.759a5a0a77eed662774d7db3042d3ad6.png

I am certainly interested in participating in a full lap at LGT, whether you do it this Friday or some other day. 

..Al

46 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I'd only attempt a night ride at LGT if everything is 100% dry.  I don't like riding slick rocks and roots at night.  It does sound enticing... 

Yeah, I wouldn't want to ride LGT in the daytime if it was wet.  Doing so at night would be inviting injury!!

19 hours ago, CBaron said:

I've been 1 part "forgotten about" this post, and 2 parts "avoiding the topic" of this post.

Part of my impetus for starting this thread was the fact that the next day (Sat 25th) I was going to make a run at what I was calling an EB Prologue.  It was to consist of parking at Camp Tejas and making a lap of LGT, then riding down Parmer and doing Peddler's Pass, then Deception proper (1/4 notch & DD).  From there I'd jump back onto Parmer and head to WC for completion.  It was my goal to cover that distance so that I could get an idea for the distance and time to completion.  This would then give me an idea of what time I'd have to begin in order to start (the night before the EB) with this route as a Prologue to the EB.  I was estimating it would be about 6.5 hrs and about 60-65 miles.

I WAS WRONG!

I ended up having one of my worst days on the bike that Saturday while attempting to do this "EB Prologue" ride.  I won't go into the details again here, much of it is summarized on my Strava post.  But I ended up having to pull the plug on my day and have my wife come pick me up at 7hrs, 50 miles, and an aborted run on Deception, which was punctuated by me having to lay down in the stream for recovery.  https://www.strava.com/activities/1797161605

Now that I've got some distance between myself and that day, I'm not entirely sure what my plan is now.  According to my calendar, upon a successful completion of the EB Prologue (on the 25th), I am suppose to be scheduled to do a nighttime LGT lap this coming Friday.  However, at this moment, I really don't plan to do that.  (Let me know if any of you have a hard-on for a Friday night LGT lap and I may possibly reconsider it)  But I'm beginning to think that this ENTIRE idea, doing the EB Prologue beginning at midnight before the EB as a tribute to the Enchilda Buffet's 10 yr anniversary, may just have to be my White Whale for now.

I also think I may have to give out a retraction of sorts to my....the EB is completely doable with grit and determination comments earlier in this (and the other EB post).  Now, in all fairness, I do still believe that.  But it does REQUIRE a qualification.  There is a big difference between: Wow this is difficult, I've never ridden my bike this far, I'm tired & hungry and want to go home....versus.....holy shit I'm seeing stars, my body is feeling cold (and its 100* outside), and I can no longer pedal a bicycle.  Knowing yourself as an athlete, rider, person will best help you to determine these differences and thus make smart decisions on going fwd or not.  The EB is designed to lead rookies into deeper waters so that they can safely accomplish something bigger than what they may have ever done.  Its not designed to lead someone to health issues or (semi) permanent damage.

Later,  -CJB

I like and understand your idea.  a couple of comments on the strategy.

What about riding Cedar breaks-tejas and down to brushy to just ride all of deception and rim job? I think that's a reasonable route  especially given how much of the GB we actually ride. 

17 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

I like and understand your idea.  a couple of comments on the strategy.

What about riding Cedar breaks-tejas and down to brushy to just ride all of deception and rim job? I think that's a reasonable route  especially given how much of the GB we actually ride. 

Thats a new and interesting idea.  I've never considered only doing a leg of LGT, but in some ways that could make sense.  I actually "like" the section from CB to Tejas too.

Since I've now begun to miss some of my benchmarks that would lead me to fulfilling the original scheme, I've become hesitant to post up other things that "I should/could/plan to do".  But now that we are on the subject, I've considered simply adding in Deception to my regular EB day.  After Thumper when everyone goes back East towards WC....I'd simply go West (I've got a nice clean route) and drop into Deception at Staked Plains and ride it backwards.  Pop back out onto Parmer and continue East to WC.  I checked the results from last year and if I added in an additional 1.5'ish hours then I'd still be completing the EB in the top 30.

Right now, I'm sorta beginning to focus in on the Bentonville Epic Rides event that I've signed up for.  So who knows what I really end up doing.  I had hoped for some kind of 10 yr anniversary EB challenge but....

Later,  -CJB

• Like 1