IGNORED

PSA: Trailforks price increase

Apple messaged me this morning - my Trailforks annual subscription was set to increase 50% from $36 to $54. Seems like they are now a part of Outside+, who keep jacking up the prices on everything they buy. Anyway, thought I'd let you all know. I cancelled mine for now.

• Thanks 1

I've pretty much given up on Trailforks and am using MTBProject exclusively.

Used to try to keep both sites updated with RHR data, but will now be focusing only on MTBProject. They have consistently been quicker to respond to issues and questions, and very supportive of their contributors.

8 hours ago, TAF said:

Apple messaged me this morning - my Trailforks annual subscription was set to increase 50% from $36 to $54. Seems like they are now a part of Outside+, who keep jacking up the prices on everything they buy. Anyway, thought I'd let you all know. I cancelled mine for now.

I did the same. Used MTB project app yesterday in AZ. It was good enough to get me back on the trail I wanted.

All that trailforks data was crowdsourced from users and as usual, big business gets involved ruins something great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I will probably drop down to the base subscription now. Loved the Garmin integration, but not enough to merit paying when I only use it while traveling.

I think you and I are not alone - we know our local trails well, and only use the app sporadically when traveling. I bet this price hike loses them a chunk of business. They also took over Bikereg - not sure what their ultimate goal is.

1 hour ago, TAF said:

They also took over Bikereg - not sure what their ultimate goal is.

Total domination of the world of outdoor recreation, obvs. 

Here's an overview of the Outside+ strategy from 2021 that lays it out.  The subtext is the bundle, i.e. pay us a BUNCH of $$$ and you get All The Things that they are actively acquiring. 

Outside CEO says 40% of new subscribers are choosing its bundle for access to its entire portfolio. 

We somehow get Outside print mags; I'm not really enjoying the content and don't read much, if any of it. I paid for a Ride With GPS subscription and don't really need or want anything else.  A trail app comes with that subscription but can't remember which one it is.  

• Like 1

Outside, BikeReg, VeloNews, Trailforks, PinkBike and other brands been one thing for a couple of years now.  I have the Outside+ bundle mainly to get access to Velo News and TrailForks.  I like the long form articles on Outside.  They have a streaming channel but I haven’t looked in ages.

If you have trail forks through the Apple Store you can cancel now and still have access to your subscription until it ends (vs. me having to remember to cancel before July 23rd...)

I typically use it for navigation in August when I am out of town for the month. The rest of the year, the only time I access it on my Garmin is with the ForkSight functionality that pops up the map when I stop. Very intuitive because when I need to figure out where to go, I stop anyway. I do not know if Forksight will work on only the free subscription and not the pro, I guess I will find out in July.

20 hours ago, June Bug said:

Total domination of the world of outdoor recreation, obvs. 

Here's an overview of the Outside+ strategy from 2021 that lays it out.  The subtext is the bundle, i.e. pay us a BUNCH of $$$ and you get All The Things that they are actively acquiring. 

Outside CEO says 40% of new subscribers are choosing its bundle for access to its entire portfolio. 

A curious strategy - to attempt to monetize your interaction with something which is essentially free - the great outdoors. I see that they have also taken over Pinkbike.

• Like 1

Never subscribed to it, only use it like others to find trails where I dont normally ride.   I use it to find a "route" export the GPX and add to my garmin.

Wonder if that will now be a paid option- like Strava does.