IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

Once you go neat ....... 

I've been drinking whiskey my entire adult life, which translates to 44 years of whiskey drinking. It wasn't until this year though that I started drinking it neat. Wow! I can't even imagine ice cubes in my bourbon anymore. Sipping on some Four Roses Single Batch right now and it is sooooooo enjoyable.  

• Like 2

I'm drinking neat the vast majority of the time. Although there are some occasions when ice works well for me.

A mid-shelf bourbon or rye (WT101 or Bulleit Rye) on ice on a hot evening working on bikes in the garage, for example. I'll even keep it in the garage freezer between sips.

Or on a rainy and cool day an Islay malt on ice in a large bulb glass (brandy snifter or Canadian Glencairn) is amazing. It's like a cold blast from an ocean breeze. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Barry said:

I'm drinking neat the vast majority of the time. Although there are some occasions when ice works well for me.

A mid-shelf bourbon or rye (WT101 or Bulleit Rye) on ice on a hot evening working on bikes in the garage, for example. I'll even keep it in the garage freezer between sips.

Or on a rainy and cool day an Islay malt on ice in a large bulb glass (brandy snifter or Canadian Glencairn) is amazing. It's like a cold blast from an ocean breeze. 

I'm really loving the Rare Breed that you recommended. Opens up the sinuses going in and opens open the bronchial tubes going down, while still tasting incredibly smooth. I liked the the JD SBBP that you recommended as well, but I think the Rare Breed will be more of a regular pour for me, along with the OF 1920. My tendency these days has been having at least something in the 115 proof range in stock, along with something else in the 100 proof range, like the Four Roses Single Barrel  (mistakenly referred to it as Single Batch in my last post) or WT Kentucky Spirit, both of which are incredibly smooth sippers. I've got so much to try still though - just added Chattanooga to my list based on a YT report I saw. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, throet said:

I've got so much to try still though

Overwhelming right?

I have the 1920 OF based oh your posting.  Pretty smooth.  Maybe the sweetest bourbon I've tried.

I ran out of the Talisker 10.  I'm definitely picking up some more of that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, throet said:

just added Chattanooga to my list based on a YT report I saw. 

I'm originally from (very near) Chattanooga 😃! Last time I went home 2 years ago I went to their distillery for the tour and tasting. At the time they were largely using MGP whisky (contract distilling like any good start-up should [don't push out your over priced and underaged bullshit! [[I'm looking at you Peerless and Garrison et al.]]) and were just starting to include their own distillate. I really enjoyed what they were doing and was interested when I found their bottles locally. Still...I'm a "craft" whisky skeptic and haven't yet grabbed a bottle. But I'm super glad to see their distribution expanding. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, throet said:

I'm really loving the Rare Breed that you recommended. Opens up the sinuses going in and opens open the bronchial tubes going down, while still tasting incredibly smooth. I liked the the JD SBBP that you recommended as well, but I think the Rare Breed will be more of a regular pour for me, along with the OF 1920. My tendency these days has been having at least something in the 115 proof range in stock, along with something else in the 100 proof range, like the Four Roses Single Barrel  (mistakenly referred to it as Single Batch in my last post) or WT Kentucky Spirit, both of which are incredibly smooth sippers. I've got so much to try still though - just added Chattanooga to my list based on a YT report I saw. 

18 minutes ago, Barry said:

I'm originally from (very near) Chattanooga 😃! Last time I went home 2 years ago I went to their distillery for the tour and tasting. At the time they were largely using MGP whisky (contract distilling like any good start-up should [don't push out your over priced and underaged bullshit! [[I'm looking at you Peerless and Garrison et al.]]) and were just starting to include their own distillate. I really enjoyed what they were doing and was interested when I found their bottles locally. Still...I'm a "craft" whisky skeptic and haven't yet grabbed a bottle. But I'm super glad to see their distribution expanding. 

Gotta say, we really, really liked Chattanooga when we never expected to. Wife and I did a short MTB trip to raccoon MTN and some stuff in northern GA a couple years ago. Stayed at the Read House downtown and just hit as many of the cool restaurants, bars and breweries we could, and crawled home at the end of the night.  Want to go back for sure!

What was really cool was, the freaking liquor store had a taproom in it and the guy was giving us samples.  We ended up buying some local collaboration of whiskey aged in beer barrels. Was really good but cant remember the name of the distillery.

IMG_20171120_195244188.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

Sabor Tapatio's Tacos de Birrira (properly termed, I think, Quesabirria Tacos) are glorious. Crunchy. cheesy and savory. Served with consume, you dip the tacos right in to make them even better. I think they are what you've been missing out of your life. And while they are a food truck, and don't have alcohol, they are right next to a Twin Liquors. That's where I scored this excellent Russian Imperial Stout. Just don't go on a Sunday.

image.thumb.png.d191b0179dcdaf2943a08ef14adb39e4.png

• Like 6

On 3/7/2021 at 12:39 PM, Barry said:

Sabor Tapatio's Tacos de Birrira (properly termed, I think, Quesabirria Tacos) are glorious. Crunchy. cheesy and savory. Served with consume, you dip the tacos right in to make them even better. I think they are what you've been missing out of your life. And while they are a food truck, and don't have alcohol, they are right next to a Twin Liquors. That's where I scored this excellent Russian Imperial Stout. Just don't go on a Sunday.

image.thumb.png.d191b0179dcdaf2943a08ef14adb39e4.png

Do you have any idea how many times I've come back to look at this picture?  I have it mapped, and now I'm picking the bike route.