IGNORED

Am I being cheap?

No, you are not being too cheap. Check out swapping the front and back. I have a a regimen for my tires, the good bike gets the new ones, passing down its tires to the singlespeed, and then the singlespeed tires go to the urban bike for the final grinding down. I get years out of a set of tires across multiple bikes.

• Like 4

Get the most out of the tires. If they don't have enough bite but still have enough rubber to be functional, down-cycle them until bald.

When tires are really gone, Yellow Bike recycles them. Recycling tires, as you probably know, is a hassle.

I was getting reverse snobbery about my almost bald rear tire. Astonished looks followed with a "man, you need a new tire" comments were frequent. I finally put a new one on when heading to Big Bend. So that's my philosophy. 

22 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Get the most out of the tires. If they don't have enough bite but still have enough rubber to be functional, down-cycle them until bald.

When tires are really gone, Yellow Bike recycles them. Recycling tires, as you probably know, is a hassle.

I have dropped a bunch of tires off there and have more on the shelf. I am slowly cleaning out the garage and when I hit the bike area I will have another big shipment to drop off.

So yesterday I replaced my Gravel Tires- why.

I rode the Come and Grind it and walked away with a leak in the front.  (last time I did this ride I got 3 punctures)

Tire went flat sitting in garage, pumped it up, spun it and it held better.  Pumped it up, and rode and held well.  Great 4 days later I see a giant puddle under the wheel and sure enough it leaked and stopped up.   Reviewed the tire and its a tiny hole- too small to just insert bacon.

Choices- ream it out and put bacon strip, consider new tire.  I looked at the tread and realized they had a good life (~1500 miles) and called it a day, replaced both.

These stupid tires come from EU somewhere (no one in US stocks them) and take like 6 weeks on the slowest boat to get here so thankfully I had just gotten those tires in about 3 weeks ago when I thought these might be ready to hit EOL.

When I commuted to work years ago I saw someone say on Mojo when X flats happen its time to change them.  Well I hate getting stuck somewhere- adding bacon, adding a tube, running out of CO2 and calling someone.   So yeah I said yep time to go.