IGNORED

Spider Mountain

June Bug

I couldn't find a separate dedicated Spider Mountain thread, so I'll start here with this item.

The January print issue of Texas Highways showcases an article titled 13 Things To Do In 2020 and biking at Spider Mountain made the list.   That page is "Choose Your Adventure at Lake Buchanan" and the print version features two large photos of Spider Mountain, one showing people on the lift and the other a mountain biker w/ bike looking out over Lake Buchanan and the first part of the  text highlights Spider Mountain.  To see the online version (which doesn't show pics of mountain bikers) just click on the link above and scroll down.  Text is the same.  This is kind of a big deal and should get Spider Mountain lots of attention. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Browndog said:

I’ve been five or six times and always end up riding the lift with someone who has driven a long way to get there. Seems like a lot of their traffic is out-of-towners which is cool. Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far, I’ve met folks from San Antonio and Dallas. Not too far, but they had to make a weekend trip out of it. 

• 4 weeks later...

This just came up on my YouTube feed. Says a lot when somebody credible like Rich comes down from Bentonville and makes these kind of statements about Spider Mtn. This post was about his Pivot build but I suspect there will be a follow-up video on his riding experience at Spider Mtn. 

"Spider Mountain was LEGIT! I had an absolute blast and it was well worth the drive down from Bentonville. The runs are by no means the longest, but I bombed down, jumped back on the lift, and bombed back down again more times than I can count. The trail building is top notch, the diversity is killer and I'm excited to get mama bear down there to shred. Word on the street is that more trail is in the works and I can't wait. Our setup at the Thunderbird Lodge was awesome! The entire production team (3 dudes) has plenty of room in Cottage 25. Two rooms with two queen beds in each, in addition to two super comfy futons in the living space. The full kitchen was a must since we didn't have time to travel out much for food and the breakfast bar became the perfect production studio. We're already planning a return trip and I'll keep everyone posted on when it'll be...might even invite some subscribers out to shred!"

Edited by throet
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to get back on the bike after a couple year break by going to Spider Mountain today. What a blast! Even if you're not a hardcore weekend rider, there's still plenty of room to grow. I've never downhill ridden before (at least not without having to pedal uphill at some point), so this was the fastest I've been on a trail so far. It was an absolute blast [emoji16]

I was a little worried about my entry level bike holding up, but it seems like the new pedals and tires I got last week did the trick. Gloves helped too. I'm not normally a gloves guy, but they were certainly useful on that trail. 001095f58415641c57931c3e7c63b987.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 5:02 AM, throet said:

Here's the complete ride report from Rich. Probably the best Spider testimonial I've seen to date, especially for somebody who earns their living mountain biking in Bentonville. He's a ripper too which makes the vid really entertaining to watch. 

Him riding Stinger while having a casual conversation really pissed me off.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

My bigger fear is not that this is shutting down for now but whether it can ever reopen. I have no idea how leveraged they are but they put a ton of money into that place.

You owe the bank $100,000 - they own you. You owe the bank $1,000,000 ....