IGNORED

Specialized Tools...

AustinBike

I've done that to remove a headset before. Yeah, it's ugly. If you are doing it on an aluminum frame you might be ok, but this is a brand new carbon frame so I don't want to screw anything up. Tools cost a little more than a trip to the shop, so they'll pay for themselves over the life of the bike. And I am happy to loan them out if anyone has a press fit bottom bracket or needs to change a headset.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, notyal said:

What isn't?

More accurately, what is blue and isn't. As much as I love Park Tools, unless I hit the lottery, half of my tools are not blue. That press was ~$38 on Amazon. Wheels Manufacturing. Nice precision and quality. It had sized drifts. The Park tool was ~$79 with no drifts.

There is no greater satisfaction than buying an expensive tool and getting lots of use out of it. My Park chain link pliers is one such tool. But others, that aren't used on a regular basis, are tougher to justify.

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

Are the drifts and threaded rod small enough to work as a bearing press for suspension rebuilds?

It looks like the answer is decidedly no. You need the driftless tool for $40, and the drift set for $80. And probably the sealed bearing extractor collete for $22. 

I have an old Sherline lathe, which I hardly ever use...but to make press-fit tools is one such use I dust it off for.   The head press and removal stuff is something I also made on my own (not using the lathe), but they're not the easiest to use.  

I took my frame to Ron at BSS Research for seat reaming and BB facing.

Park seems to have such a mix of qualities as far as their tools. Some of their cone wrenches are the worst, while some tools like the hanger checker/straightener or their shop stands seem to exude quality.  

My favorite tool is the Chris King hub service kit.  I should make a shadow box to hang it in.

8 hours ago, kpomtb said:

So the press included the drifts for $38?  Got a link?   I haven't found that combo on Amazon

Doh! I lied. I paid $49, not $38. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU3K0I1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I went to Amazn to get the link to my purchase it was now showing $55. I think it was showing $38 in the search and I did not pay attention when I put it in my cart. As always, I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. It looks like Wheel Mfg. does have a press without drifts for ~$40. The reason it shows $62 is tax and shipping (wasn't prime). Still better than the Park price (no drifts, no shipping), but not the killer deal...

1175482671_ScreenShot2020-02-28at6_43_57AM.thumb.jpg.de62ee643ef8d92dace0c07714b9e1d6.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 11:13 AM, Barry said:

Are the drifts and threaded rod small enough to work as a bearing press for suspension rebuilds? I'm tired of my precarious vice/socket wrench set-up.

Pivot bearing can be a pita. Some companies are nice enough to make tools for their bikes, Santa Cruz comes to mind, but they are usually very expensive, Santa Cruz comes to mind. Wheels MFG's kit come with some standoffs to make the job easier, but they don't always work. And if all else fails I tend to resort to some combination of sockets, c-clamp, and PVC fittings to get the job done.

4 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

I just had to pull out my derailleur hanger alignment tool after I ate shit on the gravel bike yesterday. I invested in it about 6 months ago and have already used it 3 or 4 times, which would have been $90-120 in new hangers. 

x2 or x3 times if you have kids that ride!

16 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

I just had to pull out my derailleur hanger alignment tool after I ate shit on the gravel bike yesterday. I invested in it about 6 months ago and have already used it 3 or 4 times, which would have been $90-120 in new hangers. 

Hangers get weaker the more you bend them, so keep that in mind. Also, new hangers are rarely perfectly straight so you'll get to use your tool even if you decide to replace the hanger.

Pivot bearing can be a pita. Some companies are nice enough to make tools for their bikes, Santa Cruz comes to mind, but they are usually very expensive, Santa Cruz comes to mind. Wheels MFG's kit come with some standoffs to make the job easier, but they don't always work. And if all else fails I tend to resort to some combination of sockets, c-clamp, and PVC fittings to get the job done.

No schit. It was cheaper to buy SC pivot with bearings installed on my og tallboy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk