IGNORED

Looking into new full suspension bike($4K max budget)

quixoft

Hi folks, I've been riding for a couple years on a Specialized Rockhopper hardtail doing mostly easier stuff. I've started getting into some harder technical stuff(1/4 Notch in Brushy Creek for instance) and I'm starting to look at getting a new full suspension bike. I've been saving up the past year or so and the budget is about $3-4K.

I wouldn't say I'm a beginner, maybe low intermediate? I can get through all the downhill parts on 1/4 Notch but I do struggle on a few of the uphill parts but that's mostly my lack of skill and being out of shape! I can get through drops less than 4 feet just fine but I've started consistently bottoming out my front forks even when I make a fairly decent landing and my drive train seems to be falling apart even after a recent service. It has been two years on it so maybe that's normal? I've looked at upgrading my current bike but looking at the cost it seems more prudent to go with something new. Especially since I would like a full suspension bike at this point.

I've found a liking for going both up and down hill on technical stuff and hitting small drops(less than 4' at this point in my skill level) and jumps(very small gaps!). I prefer the downhill stuff a bit more than going up but enjoy both and I really want to get better on drops and jumps. Pretty much all of the trails I ride and will be riding are in the central Texas hill country so lots of limestone ranging from loose rocks, bare rock, rock gardens, boulders, small drops, short but steep up/downhill, hardpack dirt, roots, etc. I'll mostly be on the Brushy Creek trails since I live right next to them and easily ride to them and OP Schnabel in San Antonio. I grew up in French Creek right next to the park in the 80s and 90s and my sister still lives in our old house so I'm there frequently.

From what I've read it seem I should be looking at an all mountain trail or enduro type bike for the stuff I like to ride. I don't plan on ever doing competitions and I have no delusions that I'll be doing crazy downhill stuff or rad drops/jumps, but as I get to be a better rider, I want something I can grow into that will last me a few years.

I've been planning to upgrade for a while so I've been saving up and my budget is $4000 max although I would prefer to keep it around $3500 or less if at all possible. I'm 42 years old, 6'2", 190lbs, with a 34" inseam and always ride with a camelback full of water so say 205lbs total on the bike. Anyone with similar build as me have any recommendations?

I've been poking around and have my eyes on the Trek Remedy 8 and the Canyon Spectral CF 7.0. Both of those seem to have great reviews and are in my price range and seem to be bikes that can do what I want and grow into. Any others I should be looking at?

Edited by quixoft

If you're ok with an aluminum frame, I've heard and read nothing but praise for the Ibis Ripmo AF. A true climb anywhere, jump off anything trail bike. The SRAM NX build is $2,999 and the Shimano SLX build is $3,999.

They also make a carbon version but it starts at $4,399 for the SRAM NX build.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo-af

I believe Cycle Progression in Central Austin in a Ibis dealer if you were to go check one out.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Txduc said:

In the just under 4k range you might want to take a look at the Guerrilla Gravity stuff.  They have a wide range of options from 120 to 160mm travel and you can swap out the rear seat stays and shock to change the rear travel if your needs change in the future.  https://ridegg.com/#featured-products  

That looks pretty solid. So many options. I do like the idea of buying from a US company with in country manufacturing.

2 minutes ago, quixoft said:

That looks pretty solid. So many options. I do like the idea of buying from a US company with in country manufacturing.

Yes they also do have a secret menu where there are more options like a Pistola (Trail Pistol with 130mm travel rather than 120mm), or a mullet bike with different sized wheels front and rear.  I was strongly considering going with a Pistola but ended up going with a Yeti SB130 instead.

This sounds fun! I want to be you.......except.........I would get a screaming deal on craigslist from some rich guy who gave up this hobby, then pocket the other 2k for a sweet roadtrip to Moab and Fruita.  Maybe even splurge for some Stash IPA while I'm at it.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Bamwa said:

This sounds fun! I want to be you.......except.........I would get a screaming deal on craigslist from some rich guy who gave up this hobby, then pocket the other 2k for a sweet roadtrip to Moab and Fruita.  Maybe even splurge for some Stash IPA while I'm at it.

Hah! Kids and grandkids only allow for a few trips per year and I use those up for snowboarding and pond hockey tournaments in winter!

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/us/en/vitus-sommet-29-vrs-bike-xt-slx-1x12-2020/rp-prod182714

killer spec for price. A friend of mine In a similar situation and size to you bought the nx spec vitus escarpe last fall for under 2k and it seems like a solid bike and he has no problem with any of the trails at Brushy.

Edited by 4fun

48 minutes ago, Bamwa said:

I would get a screaming deal on craigslist from some rich guy who gave up this hobby, then pocket the other 2k for a sweet roadtrip to Moab and Fruita.  Maybe even splurge for some Stash IPA while I'm at it.

He is a larger fellow who already likes drops on his hardtail. He'll probably be hitting bigger and bigger stuff on his new bike. I would absolutely suggest not buying a used bike, outside of the odd scenario that it comes with a full warranty, like some demo bikes.

@quixoft, whatever you go with, buy new and get that warranty. And as a 190+ lb rider myself, I have broken a ton of aluminum frames. But modern carbon fiber seems to hold up to my abuse much better than aluminum. My Santa Cruz is the only frame I've ever gotten more than 1500 miles on without breaking, and it's currently sitting at 7K miles with no issue. And I second the idea that you may want to look hard at Guerrilla Gravity.  They're a great company to work with, and their pricing is spectacular.  They've somehow managed to make some of the cheapest (and they claim most durable) carbon frames available, all while building their frames in the US. Unfortunately this doesn't support local business at a time that they need it, and it also means you can't demo it. 

3 minutes ago, Barry said:

@quixoft, whatever you go with, buy new and get that warranty. And as a 190+ lb rider myself, I have broken a ton of aluminum frames. But modern carbon fiber seems to hold up to my abuse much better than aluminum. My Santa Cruz is the only frame I've ever gotten more than 1500 miles on without breaking, and it's currently sitting at 7K miles with no issue. And I second the idea that you may want to look hard at Guerrilla Gravity.  They're a great company to work with, and their pricing is spectacular.  They've somehow managed to make some of the cheapest (and they claim most durable) carbon frames available, all while building their frames in the US. Unfortunately this doesn't support local business at a time that they need it, and it also means you can't demo it. 

I gave Guerrilla a call and they were super awesome so I'm leaning toward that route. I really like the modularity and it being a US company. If I go with them I'm going to see if one of my local shops can do the build so I can give them some business.

I'm not a fan of used machinery(cars, bikes, whatever) as you never know what sort of abuse the previous owner may have put it through. It's easy to put lipstick on a pig and cover up any problems there might be.

2 hours ago, WLemke said:

If you're ok with an aluminum frame, I've heard and read nothing but praise for the Ibis Ripmo AF. A true climb anywhere, jump off anything trail bike. The SRAM NX build is $2,999 and the Shimano SLX build is $3,999.

They also make a carbon version but it starts at $4,399 for the SRAM NX build.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo-af

I believe Cycle Progression in Central Austin in a Ibis dealer if you were to go check one out.

I've got one of these on the way and I am hoping it lives up to the hype.  I'm coming from a Salsa Horsethief which is more of a trail bike (130/120mm) and the Ripmo AF is definitely more in the All-mountain/Enduro category.  From what I've read and watched, Ibis has always been known for making frames that are great climbers and the AF seems to be following in that tradition.  Before the lockdown, I was making 2-3 trips to Spider Mtn per month, so I wanted my next bike to be something that was better suited for that style of riding.  It also seems like just about every trail system in the area is starting to integrate more jumps, drops, and flow trails so I think this bike is going to be just the ticket.  It's a bit scary to buy a bike without even sitting on one, but with the wealth of info out there (youtube, mtbr.com, etc.) I feel pretty confident in my decision. 

It's also true that you can often get bikes for less than MSRP.  Wes at Velorangutan gave me a great deal and all it took was a phone call...

Forgot to mention... Wes mentioned that they are making smoking deals on the Ripmo.  They just came out with a new version of the carbon frame that has the same geo as the Ripmo-AF so they are blowing out the previous version.  Still a great bike, just a slightly different frame geometry.

1 minute ago, olddbrider said:

I've got one of these on the way and I am hoping it lives up to the hype.  I'm coming from a Salsa Horsethief which is more of a trail bike (130/120mm) and the Ripmo AF is definitely more in the All-mountain/Enduro category.  From what I've read and watched, Ibis has always been known for making frames that are great climbers and the AF seems to be following in that tradition.  Before the lockdown, I was making 2-3 trips to Spider Mtn per month, so I wanted my next bike to be something that was better suited for that style of riding.  It also seems like just about every trail system in the area is starting to integrate more jumps, drops, and flow trails so I think this bike is going to be just the ticket.  It's a bit scary to buy a bike without even sitting on one, but with the wealth of info out there (youtube, mtbr.com, etc.) I feel pretty confident in my decision. 

It's also true that you can often get bikes for less than MSRP.  Wes at Velorangutan gave me a great deal and all it took was a phone call...

Would love to hear your thoughts on the bike once you get it. I've got my eye on the Carbon Ripmo with the GX build. Also considering a Yeti SB130 C1. I've demoed the SB130 twice in Colorado and it was the best bike I've ever ridden. The ripmo seems to be a slightly better value though...

• Like 1

I second going to see Wes at Velorangutan. I demoed two bikes and slapped down the credit card on an awesome deal. Great laid back guy to deal with, he gets it.

I bought an Orbea Occam but based on your riding you might want to check out the Ibis Ripley/Ripmo bikes as the Occam is more XC than downhill (but still a great bike).

Not sure why you're wanting 27.5 vs. 29er, but if the Remedy and Spectral are the bikes you're looking at, you might think about scooping one of these up at a great discount from Jenson. Damn good deal on a carbon build with a great spec. EDIT: Not a full-carbon frame - chainstays are aluminum.  

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Process-153-CRDL-275-2019

image.thumb.png.f63bcbe0a16b7ca156f51e27ed9200aa.png

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

Or a leftover from centre city. Guy has some of the best prices on NOS konas

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2494734/

Otherwise, I'd be down to the LBS, demoing a santa cruz tallboy v4 aluminum. I've had a METRIC SH*T TON of bikes in every wheelsize and suspension configuration and a short travel 29 with modern geo is tough to beat in CTX. Hell, it's tough to beat anywhere

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2