16 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Anyone else have sago palms?

Had three that got hit pretty hard. Dug one out but the roots looked really good so I left the other two hoping theyd come back to life.

There's a short paragraph about Sago palms. 

https://www.statesman.com/story/lifestyle/home-garden/2021/02/23/texas-winter-snow-storms-survive-plants-trees-garden-dead-dormant/4548153001/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

+1
We always wanted to get rid of these bushes.  They never fill out great.  They're so 80's.  I don't know what you call them but they put out the clusters of super-fragant white little flowers and have dark green waxy leaves.

Wax Leaf Ligustrum’s (aka privet) perhaps? Hacked mine year one. Make me sneeze like hell. https://images.app.goo.gl/JyUcAza3JPfgNKDS6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chongo Loco said:

Wax Leaf Ligustrum’s (aka privet) perhaps? Hacked mine year one. Make me sneeze like hell.

5 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

yeah that's it.

I love mine. Incredibly fragrant and attract a lot of bees, which nobody in my family is allergic to, that I know of anyway. I'm seeing regrowth up to about 2 ft high on mine, which are standing around 5 ft tall. Suppose I might just have to cut them down by a few feet if we decide to keep them. 

Just now, throet said:

I love mine. Incredibly fragrant and attract a lot of bees, which nobody in my family is allergic to, that I know of anyway. I'm seeing regrowth up to about 2 ft high on mine, which are standing around 5 ft tall. Suppose I might just have to cut them down by a few feet if we decide to keep them. 

We plant bee friendly as much as possible.

I have 5 Dwarf yaupon holly bushes out front that had no ill effects at all. I'm replacing dead bushes with them

10 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Anyone else have sago palms?

Had three that got hit pretty hard. Dug one out but the roots looked really good so I left the other two hoping theyd come back to life.

When this one was much smaller I had given it up for dead only to see it come back a couple of years later. That was over a decade ago. Plan now is to just cut these dead leaves back and see what happens. 

image.thumb.png.b20a8e48e17cc7f63c5444af1d8a138f.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The ice storm created some serious havoc at our place.  This represents about half the firewood we’ve cut so far from downed Live Oak trees/limbs.  My guess is we are only about 10% of the way through cleaning up our property.  There is as much or more Juniper down as well.  In addition to the effort of cutting up firewood and stacking it, the ends of the branches represents even more time and effort to manage.  

46DFF186-3B1A-44E6-A517-F846F4131597.jpeg

Edited by hurronnicane
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Many yards in my 'hood have Arizona ash trees -- giant shade trees  -- and many of them didn't make it. 

On 4/6/2021 at 6:36 PM, throet said:

When this one was much smaller I had given it up for dead only to see it come back a couple of years later. That was over a decade ago. Plan now is to just cut these dead leaves back and see what happens. 

image.thumb.png.b20a8e48e17cc7f63c5444af1d8a138f.png

I’m seeing a lot of these palms either like this or with the fronds cut to the trunk (aka the phallic look).  Some with the fronds still on have green stems.  Maybe not all the sagos are lost.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Many yards in my 'hood have Arizona ash trees -- giant shade trees  -- and many of them didn't make it. 

Probably need to add my yard to that list  We have a really big one in front.  It was already getting on in years, but now I get to look into removal costs.

• Sad 2

Probably need to add my yard to that list  We have a really big one in front.  It was already getting on in years, but now I get to look into removal costs.

If they haven’t started blooming by now does that pretty much mean they’re dead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I’m seeing a lot of these palms either like this or with the fronds cut to the trunk (aka the phallic look).

Mine is drooping a bit - should I be concerned? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Browndog said:

If they haven’t started blooming by now does that pretty much mean they’re dead?

My neighbors are going to wait for a month before doing any aggressive trimming. Their trees didn't die, but about half of the branches didn't leaf out. 

My neighborhood was built out in the early 70s, so the trees are mature for sure. 

2 hours ago, Browndog said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one potential for these trees is if they were just starting to grow before the snow storm hit.  The cold would reset the tree to act like it did in fall and take extra time (months) to sprout. 

For mine, I fear that the ice weighed down the branches and damaged them so much (lots of small, internal cracks) and killed all of the major branches.  The tree was near its normal lifespan (40+ years).  We had it trimmed properly (all horizonal/downward branches) two years ago and though still big it is very thinned out now.

3 minutes ago, mtb_jeremy said:

The one potential for these trees is if they were just starting to grow before the snow storm hit.  The cold would reset the tree to act like it did in fall and take extra time (months) to sprout. 

This is what I was hoping was happening to my pomegranate tree.  It had started sprouting before the freeze.  There are fresh shoots coming from the ground.  There's no sign of new growth on existing branches.  

Posted (edited)

Looks like we got a little sago boner going on. Super stoked to see this thing come back to life! Also feel really guilty for digging its brother out of the other planter after making it almost 20yrs.

IMG_20210413_192316231.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 6