IGNORED

Deathmarch cancelled - 3/10 is first window for next

DesertNomad

44 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

Oh wow, that's friggen hilarious given that a slug like yourself is calling a bunch of hard core dudes/dudettes, that were about to knock out 50 miles of greenbelt in one day, poosies!

Slug??? You must mean a caterpillar since I just heard you can float above the trail.

And they were doing it on single speeds. They are the real deal. But unless they can float above the trail like you, they would cause lots of trail damage. I know who would end up repairing it.

1 hour ago, Seths Pool said:

wasnt it perfect weather all weekend?

Conditions were fine but a person making a decision for a large group of riders is wise to be conservative and has to make a decision about moving forward with enough time to allow participants to make alternative plans. You and I as individuals would have encountered good conditions but we also could have made a different decision at the moment we left for the ride had conditions worsened.

So I respect Todd's decision.

• Like 3

Conditions were perfect everywhere in hindsight, except on one of the early trails that is fully shaded.

When I prerode, the dirt was perfect, but off camber 45 degree rock faces would send knee caps and chainstays to an early demise.

I’m man enough to admit that there were several rock faces that looked good to ride until all of a sudden they weren’t. It ended poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, FJsnoozer said:

Conditions were perfect everywhere in hindsight, except on one of the early trails that is fully shaded.

When I prerode, the dirt was perfect, but off camber 45 degree rock faces would send knee caps and chainstays to an early demise.

I’m man enough to admit that there were several rock faces that looked good to ride until all of a sudden they weren’t. It ended poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even on Sunday, the first loop still had those rocks being extremely slick.  

Folks, if you go riding, watch out for the green rocks!

The early morning of, it rained and made the opening third to half the ride just muddy enough to be damaging and certainly too slick and dangerous considering the route.  Thanks to dry air and a lot of wind, the trail was fine by noon-2pm, but that was too late to delay a start. 

The last thing I want is for anyone to come away with an injury of any level from one of my events. 

It would have been irresponsible and a black mark on my budding race company to proceed. 

There is a liability issue to consider as well as though the event was fully insured through USAC, it still can put everyone involved in a bind should someone get hurt and file a claim. 

March 10th is the next window. Fingers crossed for bone-dry conditions.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DesertNomad said:

The early morning of, it rained and made the opening third to half the ride just muddy enough to be damaging and certainly too slick and dangerous considering the route.  Thanks to dry air and a lot of wind, the trail was fine by noon-2pm, but that was too late to delay a start. 

The last thing I want is for anyone to come away with an injury of any level from one of my events. 

It would have been irresponsible and a black mark on my budding race company to proceed. 

There is a liability issue to consider as well as though the event was fully insured through USAC, it still can put everyone involved in a bind should someone get hurt and file a claim. 

March 10th is the next window. Fingers crossed for bone-dry conditions.

I for one was not going to be able to make it this past weekend so I am happy with the change of date. Fingers crossed for the 10th.

7 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

I rode lap 1 this morning (Southside, includes some of the highly technical, yet unmentionables) and there were still a couple spots where the rocks were wet. Could only imagine what it would have been like on Saturday morning, just after the brief shower. While most of the trail was great on Saturday, it's not about the whole thing, it's really about those first 7 miles where someone could get really hurt.

Also, in unrelated news, the water is freaking cold.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...