IGNORED

Hauling Schwag

Bamwa

Y'all have had your camel vs osprey vs fanny pack threads....here is how I dork out....I have a saddle bag which holds tube, tool ,link, and der hanger. No room for phone or poop bags/snacks so on front for stuff,  I used to be like this:

4832789.jpg

but then I got this

smartbag-touch-1.jpg

which is better except my phone stays in the right pouch because 1. I don't want to see that shit in the woods (or road) and 2. this bag wants to bend any phone into top tube shape.

which brings me to this

71-9PWog4HL._SX425_.jpg

which has better phone placement if you use emaps and shit but may swing around more since it is way on top like that. The bento box was on top but not with phone weight. Any you fools mess with these shits? I think I would maybe smash the third option unless I was in unfamiliar terrain out of town and needed a map which I wouldn't because I would print one out beforehand and keep it in a ziplock bag so rain or sweat or coffee wouldn't damage it because you never know when you will have no signal. Nomasay? 

• Like 1

Medium Jandd frame bag takes up about half of the front triangle of my frame, so I can still fit a water bottle on the seat tube. The Jandd bag can also hold a 2-liter Platypus bladder with the hose attached to my handlebar.

On short rides, I wear a thin "runner" waist pack that holds my phone, ID, a multitool. Then I carry a bottle on the frame and a Back Bottle in my jersey pocket.

On longer rides, I just shove everything in my Osprey Raptor 10. I will easily drink 3 liters of water in less than 3 hours on a hot day.

2 minutes ago, Shinerider said:

Just wondering if you are worried about your phone taking a beating from impacts.  If it's on my body - it is 90% dampened on impacts.

Took a spill a while back phone was in my pocket landed right on it. Fortunately I have it in a tough case, landed on a rock gouged the case and dented the back of the phone through the case. Phone survived. On body may not be safest place.

What? Y'all don't carry a semi-auto pistol with laser sights and a couple of extra clips, with a Bowie knife for backup, just in case the Zombie Apocalypse happens while you're on a ride? If this is the case, I'm thinking there is someone over on BartMojo.com who would be disappointed in the lack of strategic planning here.

Those frame-mounted bags look interesting, but I prefer to have it all in the Osprey Raptor. Sure, it's heavy, but it is all in one place. (no weapons beyond a saw or lopper on occasion) The phone goes into one of the side waist pockets on the Raptor with the screen facing soft, meaty, me. Easy access, and so far no damage.

Edited by Ridenfool

7 minutes ago, Shinerider said:

Just wondering if you are worried about your phone taking a beating from impacts.  If it's on my body - it is 90% dampened on impacts.

Putting my phone in a runners belt means it's right in the middle of my lower back. If I land on it, which is already unlikely, a broken phone will be the least of my worries. It's in a sturdy case as well.

Backpacks get heavy fast. I prefer to spread the load using shorts pockets, frame and saddle packs, a belt. Hydration pack is mostly for carrying water. 3 liters of water weighs over 6 1/2 pounds, so I avoid piling that and a bunch of other weight just on my back if I can avoid it.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

Short rides:  One water bottle on frame, one in center jersey pocket, left jersey pocket cell phone screen facing me, right jersey pocket Pico. Swat box on frame has tube, C02, tire levers, center cap has chain tool and quick link, frame holds multi tool.

Longer rides, loose the water bottles, throw a camel back on.  Everything else stays the same.

Never had a problem with one of these (except for one I bought from Perfofmance Bike... The zipper was crappy and opened, thankfully I heard my keys and stopped. I was able to go back on the trail and pick up the stuff that fell out).

Between a seat bag — which comes in all shapes and sizes these days — a Camelbak Mule, and tubes velcroed to the frame, I'm usually pretty well covered for rides up to two hours. Anything longer requires a litlle more working out where water is concerned.

03010_banjobrothers_deluxe_small_seat_bag_red_394x.jpg

Edited by RidingAgain

Degenerative neck issues mean I can no longer use a CamelBak type pack.  The Revelate Mountain Feed bags hold an amazing amount of stuff, including a full liter Nalgene bottle.   

Mountain Feedbag

I also have the little top-tube mounted Revelate Gas Tank (80 cu inches, max), but I can't fit very much in to it.  The Mountain Feedbag can gobble up a lot of stuff; it's a much better bang for buck.  Besides it's 1 L interior capacity, it has three little elasticized pockets (2 mesh and 1 nylon) around the sides that will hold small items, like Gu or snacks. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 7:36 AM, Shinerider said:

I feel it's pretty safe there behind the top cap. I'm more worried about dunking it in a creek if I botch a crossing. Junebug we are on the same page. Basically I'm rolling a double gas tank that hangs lower. The bento box was floppy up on top there. Dang except that gas tank is $$$$. My axiom was around $10.

Edited by Bamwa

On 10/16/2018 at 7:42 AM, Ridenfool said:

What? Y'all don't carry a semi-auto pistol with laser sights and a couple of extra clips, with a Bowie knife for backup, just in case the Zombie Apocalypse happens while you're on a ride? If this is the case, I'm thinking there is someone over on BartMojo.com who would be disappointed in the lack of strategic planning here.

Those frame-mounted bags look interesting, but I prefer to have it all in the Osprey Raptor. Sure, it's heavy, but it is all in one place. (no weapons beyond a saw or lopper on occasion) The phone goes into one of the side waist pockets on the Raptor with the screen facing soft, meaty, me. Easy access, and so far no damage.

magazines, not clips.

• Like 1

On October 16, 2018 at 7:36 AM, Shinerider said:

Always store screen in!  I had a rock go through my screen and battery and bulge the back. I hit the eject button on Ed's.