IGNORED

Icy Trees

GFisher

My live oaks are flowering.  The pomegranate is hard to tell.  It's either budding (reddish brown buds) or it started budding before the freeze and it's now dead.  The Hackberry trees are putting out suckers and leaves.  The other oak (will need to identify it) is also budding.  The red oak (Shumard, Texas Red Oak, Spanish Oak?) so far shows no signs of life but it's always the last one to come back in the spring.  The cedar elms are coming back strong.  My piquin plants are still dead.  I think they're really dead.

• Like 2

The red oak finally has flowers.  I have one large cedar elm that has been super slow compared to the even larger one and some of the smaller ones. 

99% sure the pomegranate, piquin plants, and a small purple crepe myrtle are all dead.  

For the first time in a while poison ivy is back in my yard though. Why can't this $hit get killed by the freeze?  

• Like 1

I finally saw some flowering at the very tip of a high branch on my Mexican White Oak yesterday. What a relief. They are pretty vulnerable and I had just had mine trimmed the day before the chit hit so I was afraid I had added a bit too much stress, I had an Electric Jellyfish to celebrate. It still looks like total ass:

IMG_20210329_102054648 (1).jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sluggo said:

Don’t give up. Warm days and cool nights slow the big stuff  down. Level temps and a good drink of water will help things to bud out. Large root systems are hard to kill and they just need a little help getting back on track. 

Exactly.  I noticed last year once overnight temperatures were consistently in the 60s+ that is when you saw new growth really start.  The long range forecast currently shows next week being the first time to expect overnight temperatures to regularly be there.

17 hours ago, Sluggo said:

Large root systems are hard to kill and they just need a little help getting back on track. 

We have very shallow sandy soil over limestone. I fear the root system for the red oak in the front yard, where the soil is shallower, may have frozen.  It shows zero signs of life, while the tree in back is leafing out. 

I do have some Medina and I'll mix some up and apply it. 

The punting pole bamboo has frozen and died back to the ground twice in past years.  I'm hoping there is something still alive in the root stub this time around. 

Edited by June Bug

My pomegranate is showing signs of life from the ground.  The 10ft or so above are pretty dead though.  Part of a gardenia also survived. Branches close to ground had rooted so now I have 2 plants.  My more decorative rosemary is mostly dead, but same story with branches that rooted survived.  The other one hardly suffered at all.

I pulled 5 mature shrubs from their beds this weekend. They were dead 90% through. New branches/ growth was beginning not more than 2" from the ground, the roots were probably fine. I might have been able to cut them almost to the dirt and "start over" but my wife and I want to do something else with the bed anyways. My crepes are all slowly coming out, each at a different rate. My largest oak looks good but my three younger ones all show stress, one is that is touch and go. I have no plans to remove it until an arborist declares it a lost cause. 

• Like 1

The red oak in the front yard still shows zero signs of life.  The red oak in the back yard has leafed out for the most part, although more towards the end of the main branches.  The little branchlets (4-5" long coming off a main branch) show no signs of leafing out. 

My monster rambling rose, with a 2" trunk where it comes out of the ground, is dead.  My two smaller rambling roses are putting up some fresh growth. 

45 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

but my wife and I want to do something else with the bed anyways. 

+1

We always wanted to get rid of these bushes.  They never fill out great.  They're so 80's.  I don't know what you call them but they put out the clusters of super-fragant white little flowers and have dark green waxy leaves.

19 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

+1

We always wanted to get rid of these bushes.  They never fill out great.  They're so 80's.  I don't know what you call them but they put out the clusters of super-fragant white little flowers and have dark green waxy leaves.

That sounds exactly like what I removed! 

• Like 1

Anyone else have sago palms?
Had three that got hit pretty hard. Dug one out but the roots looked really good so I left the other two hoping theyd come back to life.

I have a small one. I covered it with a sleeping bag and tarp and miraculously it looks totally fine. The branches (fronds?) are still green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1