IGNORED

Trek Fuel Ex 8 29 thoughts

tomreece

16 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

Damn good price on a damn good bike. I’d tell you to pull that trigger if you like it. 

X2

@tomreeceGlad you made it down there and tried one out. Built a sentinel not too long ago and can say transitions are bomb proof. A Smuggler will be just as comfortable at brushy as it will be hauling ass in the mountains. They run long and slack for their size, so it'll be super-stable at speed with the tradeoff of needing a little finesse in the tight stuff. Nice thing is, you'll be on the front end of where the trends are currently headed geometry wise. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, throet said:

Did they figure out what was causing that ratcheting noise from the rear hub?

He said this was apparently a known defect in that batch and he has filed warranty replacements for them. I took the bike back after I left you and he threw on a different rear wheel for me to finish the day on and after that it was a great ride and I enjoyed myself.

5 minutes ago, throet said:

Would you be buying the demo bike or a new one like it at that price? 

I'd be buying the same bike I rode. I am going in today to figure out the rear hub issue and what he can do for me about that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ridenfool said:

It is inevitable that this purchase will result in more rain as Murphy is rarely found to be gracious by not rewarding such deeds.

But hey, you get a new ride!

I'll take the rain as long as we can someone else addicted😁. It's hard being an addict by yourself.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, crazyt said:

to survive brick and mortar also has to do online sales. If they do that they can get the volume they need to trim margins.

BSS has an online store. They invested well to do this. Who here buys from their online store?  It's not just having an online store; it's being able to compete with online prices while not undercutting your brick-and-mortar prices.

On 11/1/2018 at 8:00 PM, throet said:

In the world of 130mm travel 29ers, you should definitely check out the Norco Sight and Intense Primer before settling on the Fuel EX. I've got a large Primer that you can try out if you'd like. You can get a carbon foundation build in your size for under $3K.  

+1 for intense primer. It’s a totally KICK ASS BIKE. 

And if you want aluminum, check out the Guerrilla gravity trail pistol. All GG bikes are super awesome 

• Like 2

I am demoing a Transition Smuggler alloy. It's marked down from $2999 to $2399 at Peddler.
Talk me out of it if you think I'm making a huge mistake, otherwise I think I will buy it given the price point it seems like a nice entry full suspension. I enjoyed riding it yesterday. What do you think?
* SRAM NX
* Raceface dropper
* Rockshox revelation fork
* Rockshox something shock
Components seem on the cheaper side, but given the price I have some room to upgrade parts later on as needed.
4F6vG5QyShKOKDIfW97dsQ.thumb.jpg.913abf92c92dbf1c17563a8935244a63.jpg
ESPKhuuwR3uB1C1n1YmRqQ.thumb.jpg.e6791f43a0572ce9967a78374b8188ea.jpg
s1KOy6zVQSOw4WnNVlHFIw.thumb.jpg.f27801825a4c4a89b63b0a0f99c57ccf.jpg
5449307_FGRRqjYQSSskxWLyMyx4w.thumb.jpg.5fb7cfb54a3063deaa65198819944bb8.jpg
H2cjUYleS92ygiWG3gVrEw.thumb.jpg.8cd38c0f63a39f8486ebed976d4ebee7.jpg
Don't know if you settled on the smuggler but I have one and I love it. Very capable bike all around. I've done black diamonds at Angel fire to full day jaunts around lake Georgetown on it. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Schrute said:

Don't know if you settled on the smuggler but I have one and I love it. Very capable bike all around. I've done black diamonds at Angel fire to full day jaunts around lake Georgetown on it. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

totally buy it 100%. all ive every heard and read is complete rants and raves about that bike. my really good friend Tyler literally won a DH race in Colorado on one this year. racing enduro bikes and DH bikes! LOLOL

1 hour ago, crazyt said:

how about sentinel vs smuggler for austin trails + spider mountain?

Everything in Austin (spider and cat mtn included) can be ridden on a smuggler for sure. The bike will not be as forgiving, and you’ll need your riding skills more ona shorter travel bike, but it can definitely be done.   Shorter travel is just gonna climb better, accelerate better, etc etc. 

After racing enduro and riding trail on my intense primer 29 in the 130r/140f configuration, I definitely prefer it over my other longer travel bigger bikes unless we are gonna be seasoning the whale tale or other big features. 

The majority of riders don’t hit features like that so a smuggler would definitely be my recommendation. But if you want a bigger “do it all bike” that you can take to the DH park and all that, you can’t go wrong with a sentinel. 

14 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

IMO there’s nothing in Texas that calls for a 29er 160 fork. The smuggler is made for this type of terrain. 

This 👆

I mean I can show you some stuff that definitely could warrant a 160mm fork around town, but not sure about being specific to 29er/160mm whatever difference that makes. But I would pretty wholely agree with this statement. 

• Like 2

Aww, man.  I wish I never saw this thread.  I love my Fuel 8 29" and didn't realize the hate for that bike.  I have not ridden any of the other bikes listed above, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.  Ignorance is bliss I guess.  I'm going to continue loving my bike though.  :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spalding said:

Aww, man.  I wish I never saw this thread.  I love my Fuel 8 29" and didn't realize the hate for that bike.  I have not ridden any of the other bikes listed above, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.  Ignorance is bliss I guess.  I'm going to continue loving my bike though.  🙂

dude dont even worry about stupid online reviews if you like your bike. my intense recluse had a bunch of bad reviews online and I loved it! it was awesome. dont let someone else's opinion piss on your parade. if you have fun on your bike and feel like I rides well, keep crankin' on!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Seths Pool said:

dude dont even worry about stupid online reviews if you like your bike. my intense recluse had a bunch of bad reviews online and I loved it! it was awesome. dont let someone else's opinion piss on your parade. if you have fun on your bike and feel like I rides well, keep crankin' on!

*THIS* many times over....

If you want to take the example even further, then just look at different MTB platforms.  Heck, I ride a hardtail...and if you polled most of the users on this site, then *THAT* would get universally bagged on.  But if I was available this past weekend, I would have happily taken it out to the Cat Mtn ride and held my own.  Same could be said if someone is still riding an ancient 26" wheel platform (gasp!).  If it works for them and they enjoy pedaling it around, then GO FOR IT!  It just so happens that we here on the MTB inner-webs have the luxury of discussing the finer details and critiques of each subtle nuance of bicycles and then share our geek-out.  Think of this place as more of a virtual bar stool at your favorite drinking saloon.  Take it all with a grain of salt.

Cheers, -CJB

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Heck, I ride a hardtail...and if you polled most of the users on this site, then *THAT* would get universally bagged on.  But if I was available this past weekend, I would have happily taken it out to the Cat Mtn ride and held my own. 

Cheers, -CJB

Funny, I was wishing i had my hardtail instead of my XC bike when i was out there. Ride what brings teh fun and forget the rest

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1