IGNORED

Brushy Creek North Fork Trail Project to Expected Start in January or February

WhoAmI

Article text:

Construction on Cedar Park’s Brushy Creek North Fork Trail project moves forward

620_1660167355.jpg&w=400&q=72&f=jpg?lm=1660167355

By Zacharia Washington | 2:11 PM Dec 16, 2022 CST
Updated 2:11 PM Dec 16, 2022 CST

•  

The city will begin construction on the Brushy Creek North Fork Trail project at the beginning of 2023. (Courtesy Pexels)

The city will begin construction on the Brushy Creek North Fork Trail project at the beginning of 2023. (Courtesy Pexels)

Cedar Park City Council approved an agreement with Fazzone Construction Company for the construction of the Brushy Creek North Fork Trail project at its Dec. 15 meeting.

Stretching from Parmer Lane near Whitestone Boulevard down to the Brushy Creek Regional Trail at Brushy Creek Road, the Brushy Creek North Fork Trail project will consist of roughly 3 miles of shared-use trail, Senior Project Manager Marisa McKnight said at the meeting. Once construction is completed, the trail will be a 10-foot-wide concrete path with associated lighting and fencing.

Funding sources for the project include the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization, the Texas Department of Transportation and the Community Development Corporation Type B funds, according to the city. The estimated project cost is $2.97 million.

Construction is anticipated to begin in January or February, McKnight said, and it is projected to last for a year.

“This is an exciting development,” Mayor Jim Penniman-Morin said.

Wonderful news, BUT a 10-ft-width just doesn't cut it for the amount of traffic these types of trails receive these days.  

For example,  the 10-ft-width on the Southern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path, heavily used by cyclists, is woefully inadequate.  

Considering the amount of lead time that goes into funding, planning/design, opening the project for bid and awarding the contract, little chance for input even for future projects. 

Don't get me wrong -- these paths are of huge benefit to those that use them, just wish they were a bit wider. 

22 hours ago, June Bug said:

BUT a 10-ft-width just doesn't cut it for the amount of traffic these types of trails receive these days. 

I think it's adequate assuming people aren't trying to time-trial and can wait to pass people or give them a friendly "passing on your left".  There's sometimes an issue with walkers walking 3-5 across at Brushy Creek but that's just people being a-holes as expected.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 4fun said:

I see that number ~3 million and think of the glorious MTB trails that AJ could build back there with that kind of cheddar😁

When I was the trail manager at Trek Bicycles, my budget was about $75k a year (not including my salary,) and we accomplished a lot with that.

As a contractor, it would probably have taken me a few years to build trails and features worth $3 million...even with several machines and several crews. 

mebigex.jpg

melittleex.jpg

Trek Facility Design Build 09 104.JPG

Trek Facility Design Build 09 198.JPG

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
21 hours ago, GFisher said:

I heard it is blocked off from Katy Ln. Anyone had eyes on it in the last 24 hours? It would suck if it was blocked for the next 6-9 months or so...

As of this past Sunday it was open. Bulldozed path goes right by Katy Ln. However, based on how they had the southern portion off Brushy Creek road roped off, I can see why they might do the same eventually/ since I was there. 

• 3 weeks later...