bestbike85

Austin area spots for gravel grinding?

About to pull the trigger on a gravel bike and want to find some good places for 20-40 mile rides. Any recommendations around Austin? 

Ride or drive, 20-30 miles isn't that far to get where you want to be. No surprise that if you live inside a major city that you don't have access to endless unpaved roads right out your front door.

Barry is correct from my experience.  Even when riding from home (usually on my road bike), it takes quite a long while to run across unpaved road(s).  

Now what some of us use to do is roll-out from the house on our gravel bikes and do big(ish) urban rides which incorporated mixed 'terrains': bike paths, double track, urban concrete (steps and such), and of course road...  It was quite fun and I'd do them again, but we'd have to get @GFisher on board because he was the one who'd put together the routes.

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Barry is correct from my experience.  Even when riding from home (usually on my road bike), it takes quite a long while to run across unpaved road(s).  

Now what some of us use to do is roll-out from the house on our gravel bikes and do big(ish) urban rides which incorporated mixed 'terrains': bike paths, double track, urban concrete (steps and such), and of course road...  It was quite fun and I'd do them again, but we'd have to get @GFisher on board because he was the one who'd put together the routes.

Later,
CJB

Yes, I loved those rides!  I still remember on one particular night ride, the girls on 6th street telling @GFisher nice butt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Yes, I loved those rides!  I still remember on one particular night ride, the girls on 6th street telling @GFisher nice butt.

I could use some more of that kind of riding.  Lately, I've been finding it challenging to get motivated.  A good group and some exploratory routes might cure that.

-CJB

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CBaron said:

I could use some more of that kind of riding.  Lately, I've been finding it challenging to get motivated.  A good group and some exploratory routes might cure that.

-CJB

Let me get this salsa in the stable and set up in the coming week, and I’m down for all of that. 

21 hours ago, CBaron said:

It was quite fun and I'd do them again, but we'd have to get @GFisher on board because he was the one who'd put together the routes.

Later,
CJB

You need to get this guy ( @GFisher ) on board too, he was the mastermind.  

-CJB

Posted (edited)

Ha! I'm down, those rides are a blast. Let me get back in town and put something together. Stay tuned.

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 1

Look at the BP MS150 Day 2 route, particularly between COTA and Bastrop. While the actual route is paved, there was a LOT of gravel hitting the route on cross streets. Again, not ride out your door gravel, but a 20-30min drive away.

Did the Lockhart Breaker last year, quite a few gravel miles. The route should be online.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheX said:

Did the Lockhart Breaker last year, quite a few gravel miles. The route should be online.

Yeah that's a good route.

1 hour ago, bestbike85 said:

Pumped to be picking up my Salsa Journeyman tomorrow, Friday at the latest. 

Pics or it didn't happen.

I'm going to lobby for Thursday(s).  Lets see what @GFisher has to say.  We need to get through this impending rain first.

-CJB

I do some of these "mixed terrain" rides around town on a cyclocross bike. they end up being more pavement than gravel because there's just not that much gravel in town. however, if you can find segments of relatively tame singletrack, you can string together some fun rides. 

• Like 1

I remember riding townlake trail to the dam and back, Shoal Creek trail, and even the BCGB main trail dropping in at Spyglass.  I even have video of Cody dropping it at the skate/bike pool:  

Town Lake, Shoal Creek, VCT, lots of stuff along Slaughter Creek, Walnut North, Walnut Metro, Walnut Creek South, etc can all be linked together by roads and bike paths. I want to find a way to link it to Onion Creek/ McKinney Falls, but I have not figured that one out yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

I remember riding townlake trail to the dam and back, Shoal Creek trail, and even the BCGB main trail dropping in at Spyglass.  I even have video of Cody dropping it at the skate/bike pool:  

Dang, I'd forgotten that there was video of that.  Ha!....rear bike rack and all....

Those were some good rides.

-CJB

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

New Bike Day. Size 54 Salsa Journeyman 700c Apex 1 build with bolt on top tube bag. 

Stoked for this thing. Gravel rides here, gravel/paved rides in Houston on weeks I’m there for work 

39756096-D583-4A97-9D72-4AD7D529DFF3.jpeg

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 6

On 4/25/2019 at 11:11 AM, CBaron said:

Later,
CJB

Riding multi-surface is my prefered ride.  I do a lot between RR and Gtown.

Got to break her in this morning. Such a fun bike. Incredibly comfortable, efficient and stable. Looking forward to tons of miles on this thing. 

68B89592-7CD6-4259-A2FC-923454946326.jpeg

• Like 1