IGNORED

Homeless Camps on BMX Loop at Walnut Creek

June Bug

I haven't been riding much at the far reaches of WC over the last year, sticking closer to the trails near the Lincolnshire entrance. 

Late yesterday afternoon, I did Inner and Outer Log Loops and headed over to the BMX Loop.  First, I got semi-lost on the way over, ending up somewhere in a tangle of social trails at the end of Severe Consequences.  

When I got close to the entry trail to BMX Loop, I noticed a guy approaching on a bike with squeaky rim brakes and a nice front basket, blasting music.  He dismounted and started walking his bike up the trail, so gave him a few minutes lead. Started up the trail, smelled cigarette smoke, and Rudolph Reindeer on an e-bike, there is an established homeless camp right there on the trail.  Kept riding on what I think is an added part to the trail, which loops around just a few feet from the back of that same camp.  Gack.  There is also an abandoned camp with trash. Just overall creepy. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, June Bug said:

I haven't been riding much at the far reaches of WC over the last year, sticking closer to the trails near the Lincolnshire entrance. 

Late yesterday afternoon, I did Inner and Outer Log Loops and headed over to the BMX Loop.  First, I got semi-lost on the way over, ending up somewhere in a tangle of social trails at the end of Severe Consequences.  

When I got close to the entry trail to BMX Loop, I noticed a guy approaching on a bike with squeaky rim brakes and a nice front basket, blasting music.  He dismounted and started walking his bike up the trail, so gave him a few minutes lead. Started up the trail, smelled cigarette smoke, and Rudolph Reindeer on an e-bike, there is an established homeless camp right there on a trail.  Kept riding on what I think is an added part to the trail, which loops around just a few feet from the back of that same camp.  Gack.  There is also an abandoned camp with trash. Just overall creepy. 

Becoming so typical for Austin. Sorry

53 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Becoming so typical for Austin. Sorry

Thanks, I'm startled at what an affront it was to my WC sensibilities; I was def clutching my pearls. 😱

The camp is RIGHT ON THE TRAIL.  No attempt to distance or conceal. That said, the trail is super convenient to haul/roll stuff in (3 or 4 shopping carts are scattered here and there off the trail) and it's not visible from the road.   I guess people just poop in the woods?  🚴‍♀️🛒🚽

There's a  more open area very near by that's flatter and more camp-able and is at least a bit off the trail. 

As is, the camp is set up on a slope and looks kind of miserable for sleeping and general functioning (1 star, do not recommend), but it does have trees to tie tarps off to and to hang stuff. 

Edited by June Bug

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

Install the Austin 311 app. Take a picture of every camp every time and send it in right then, The more reports the better. 

The city IS removing camps, They just don't move as quickly as we would like of course.

Will do.  I'll never ride by there again by myself, though.   Maybe if Mr. June Bug is with me. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 6:31 AM, AustinBike said:

If it was black, that was the one that growled at me and stood in the middle of the trail until I was close enough. Did not seem happy that I was there. Any time I see a dog with no collar I expect the worst. And I am a big dog guy and often stop to pet dogs on my rides.

The one I saw was brindle with some white.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, June Bug said:

Anyone know how to describe the start of the BMX Loop? 

Is there an actual address, coordinates? Can't remember if there is a Carsonite marker at the start. 

Ride the park road out toward Lamar, cross the bridge, go past the Windy Loop entrance, and look for a trailhead on the left. You have to hop the curb.

I rode BMX Loop today and saw 2 new camps from the last time I was there. Thanks for the 311 app info, I'll get it installed and start reporting as well.

On 12/21/2023 at 8:37 AM, AustinBike said:

There is a new piece along the concrete path, east of Lamar, that I substitute instead.

@AustinBike Where is this new trail exactly? Can you please describe it a bit more? thanks!

• 1 month later...

It's such a pleasure to see the city cleaning up camps after so many years of doing nothing. Two big camps on the Big East Loop of the SATN have been cleared. One at the Bluff Springs entrance to Onion Creek Metro, and the other off of Brandt Rd.

Now if they can just get the police to nip in the bud any new activities. Policeman, "Nope. Sorry buddy, move it right now. And pick up all your trash!" Much easier to get that single camper gone before it turns into another environmental diaster area.

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

Now if they can just get the police to nip in the bud any new activities. Policeman, "Nope. Sorry buddy, move it right now. And pick up all your trash!" Much easier to get that single camper gone before it turns into another environmental diaster area.

Yep. The council will have to grow some spines and actually give the taxpayers what they want. 99% of those camps are open drug and prostitution markets. Laws  have long been on the books to start addressing this, if the coward judges will prosecute. 

Seriously hoping the city i loved so much turns it around. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 12:45 PM, Taco Man said:

I dont think the DA has any plan to change anything he has/ hasnt done.

Start at 1.33

LoL at hearing the crowd cheer when he gets into police reform. APD is short 500 cops so crime will just worsen regardless of what this pencilneck says/does.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2