Jump to content
TheX

COVID-19...Preparation, or hysteria?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

There's a disturbing trend among certain corners of the media landscape lately to announce sentiments like "I'd rather die than let the economy fall part." they want to send people back to work and school and just let COVID-19 "run its course." they are willing to sacrifice the actual lives of vulnerable people in order to save the economy. some Evangelicals are peppering this nonsense with scripture. have they forgotten about that Golden Calf?

If you or someone you love is spouting nihilistic bullshit like this, try to talk some sense into them. I would recommend a slap to the face, but don't touch other people's faces. not right now, at least.

I've seen some of what your referencing and its just insane. But we don't need to look much further than behavior of our "leader" and whats going on with his pissing match with Cuomo and the lives it will cost in NY.

We americans tend look down our noses at other countries only to find this experiment is no different.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When COVID-19 overwhelms hospitals, is Trump going to set up a network of experts who decide who gets a ventilator and who doesn't?

Could one call that a "death panel"? Is that "pro-life"?

Eugenics is also a universal disease that affects all cultures one way or another.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

When COVID-19 overwhelms hospitals, is Trump going to set up a network of experts who decide who gets a ventilator and who doesn't?

Could one call that a "death panel"? Is that "pro-life"?

 

Irony in it's purest form.

On a positive note, Prince Charles has it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save the babies! Kill the aging! The powers that be are all looking at this from a monetary standpoint. Let the old die... typically older people aren't the consumers that the corporations need to be profitable, and think about how much SS, Medicare and Medicaid money letting them die would free up. They see this as an opportunity to get even richer. So here's a question, what does everybody plan to do with their one time stimulus check? Which if you get $1200 would be approximately $684 after tax because it gets taxed as a bonus or gift. They can keep their F%CKING money they obviously need it more than anyone else.

In letting this run its course and letting the elderly die it would completely overwhelm our already taxed medical system and after they die what do we do with all the dead? Some numbers I heard for letting this run its course would be 2.2 million Americans dead. Is this leadership or incredibly disgusting greed. Also let's not forget it's not just the elderly getting and dying from this there are completely healthy young adults dying from this also. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my morning work call today we were told one of the dudes on our team in Sweden is in their version of ICU with this. He is only in mid 30s.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Irony in it's purest form.

On a positive note, Prince Charles has it.

The real irony is that the "run its course" strategy would likely take out half of Trump's voting base, i.e. all the obese, cigarette smoking, lazy old farts scattered around rural America.

That's funny about the Prince, but sure as shit they'll be yanking a ventilator off of some poor Brit while hailing Royalty. 

Edited by throet
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a serious note, my biggest problem with the "run its course" approach is our healthcare workers. There are far too many valued resources (my daughter included) on the front-line who don't deserve to get overrun because of a bunch of selfish pricks. This is a test for our country and we'll see how well we do to come together now and when it's over to make things as good as they can possibly be for all affected. Trying to rush through it is the worst possible scenario. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

expecting a failed businessman to not run the country into the ground is living in absolute denial. That was Bush II

 

Now we have this bitch in charge

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cafeend said:

On my morning work call today we were told one of the dudes on our team in Sweden is in their version of ICU with this. He is only in mid 30s.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

I haven't looked up the latest statistic but last I saw 17% of hospitalized patients were under 40 in Italy.  I'm hearing 20% hospitalized are under 55 here in the US.  So anyone thinking this only affects people 65 and over are kidding themselves.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I haven't looked up the latest statistic but last I saw 17% of hospitalized patients were under 40 in Italy.  I'm hearing 20% hospitalized are under 55 here in the US.  So anyone thinking this only affects people 65 and over are kidding themselves.

I wish there were clearer patterns emerging. I'm hearing everything from your blood type to the level of exposure you've had are influencing the severity but I'd sure like to see some statistics before jumping to conclusions. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nature is an equal opportunity killer. Sometimes we in modern times forget this

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, throet said:

I wish there were clearer patterns emerging. I'm hearing everything from your blood type to the level of exposure you've had are influencing the severity but I'd sure like to see some statistics before jumping to conclusions. 

The blood type thing is unproven. They got the information from the numbers of people in hospitals in China that had been effected with the virus. No clinical information is available to prove it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently reading this. If we are currently living in a movie this is the script. Written in 2017.

Unknown.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

There's a disturbing trend among certain corners of the media landscape lately to announce sentiments like "I'd rather die than let the economy fall part." they want to send people back to work and school and just let COVID-19 "run its course." they are willing to sacrifice the actual lives of vulnerable people in order to save the economy. some Evangelicals are peppering this nonsense with scripture. have they forgotten about that Golden Calf?

If you or someone you love is spouting nihilistic bullshit like this, try to talk some sense into them. I would recommend a slap to the face, but don't touch other people's faces. not right now, at least.

I think these people should have to register; if they catch it, they aren't allowed in a hospital. That would free up capacity for those who catch it while trying to do the right thing. It's a win-win.

Sadly, I don't think these people understand what their stock portfolio would look like if we flattened the curve and then, suddenly it started climbing again. We can all survive a world where we take drastic measures and get through this, I don't think we can survive a world where this thing won't go away and we just keep yo-yo'ing up and down.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cafeend said:

On my morning work call today we were told one of the dudes on our team in Sweden is in their version of ICU with this. He is only in mid 30s.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

I think the number I saw from NYC is that ~40% of the new infections were "younger" people. Not sure about the veracity of that data, but I would bet it has been cherry picked specifically to help the younger folks understand that they are at risk because some seem to believe this is an old people's disease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, throet said:

I wish there were clearer patterns emerging. I'm hearing everything from your blood type to the level of exposure you've had are influencing the severity but I'd sure like to see some statistics before jumping to conclusions. 

Sadly the two things we are battling here are numbers and time. When we have enough of each we'll be in a better spot.

I'd just like to see some probability #'s around "social contact". For instance, if you walk past an infected person and don't have any contact, what are the odds of contraction? At 6 feet? At 2 feet? When my wife and I walk the dog she will not turn down a street with anyone else on it, even if they are on the other side. Meanwhile, people are physically in grocery stores, all passing each other in the aisles. I think the 6 foot rule is overly strict, but I just don't know. If at 6' the chance is .000001% and at 2' it is .000002% then, yes, it is double, buuuuuttttttt.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I think the number I saw from NYC is that ~40% of the new infections were "younger" people. Not sure about the veracity of that data, but I would bet it has been cherry picked specifically to help the younger folks understand that they are at risk because some seem to believe this is an old people's disease.

Maybe so-- I've been told by my kids and guys at work a lot younger than me that they hear it as the boomer killer.   Since I am Gen X,, I guess I am safe then by that logic 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Sadly the two things we are battling here are numbers and time. When we have enough of each we'll be in a better spot.

I'd just like to see some probability #'s around "social contact". For instance, if you walk past an infected person and don't have any contact, what are the odds of contraction? At 6 feet? At 2 feet? When my wife and I walk the dog she will not turn down a street with anyone else on it, even if they are on the other side. Meanwhile, people are physically in grocery stores, all passing each other in the aisles. I think the 6 foot rule is overly strict, but I just don't know. If at 6' the chance is .000001% and at 2' it is .000002% then, yes, it is double, buuuuuttttttt.......

My understanding is that at this point, the thinking is not that this is aerosolized, but that it's droplets going into nose or mouth that infect you.  The other way is touching something that has the droplets then touching your nose or mouth.  I rode on a trail yesterday and had to pass people at probably less than 6'.  I was listening very careful for sounds of coughing or sneezing.  If I would have heard that, I would have turned around, but I didn't hear it.  Early in the ride, I got a bug in my mouth, and quickly spat it out, but there was nobody around thankfully.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

Maybe so-- I've been told by my kids and guys at work a lot younger than me that they hear it as the boomer killer.   Since I am Gen X,, I guess I am safe then by that logic 

Funny you mention that. 

We were all just joking about how our kids have opened our eyes to things we've been saying that are now considered inappropriate. 

Two weeks ago my 16 y/o was calling covid the "Boomer remover". Not as virtuous as they'd like to see themselves.

We had a discussion about this😑

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With help like this who could ask for anything more. Trillion dollar bailouts for big business and bootstraps for the people. 

#letitallcollapse

IMG_20200326_104159315.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

With help like this who could ask for anything more. Trillion dollar bailouts for big business and bootstraps for the people. 

#letitallcollapse

 

Come on now... You know this is the norm... It's how it is... The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 10:43 AM, ATXZJ said:

I've seen some of what your referencing and its just insane. But we don't need to look much further than behavior of our "leader" and whats going on with his pissing match with Cuomo and the lives it will cost in NY.

We americans tend look down our noses at other countries only to find this experiment is no different.

When I first moved to the US back in the mid-90s I was amazed at how clearly I saw what had happened in Jamaican political culture on a micro level, happening in the US on a macro level. The only difference being the speed at which it happens. The larger the country the longer it takes to be realized.

The US is a beautiful country... But folks shouldn't fool themselves in thinking this country is impervious to what other countries suffer. Humans will be human.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2020 at 10:22 AM, mack_turtle said:

There's a disturbing trend among certain corners of the media landscape lately to announce sentiments like "I'd rather die than let the economy fall part." they want to send people back to work and school and just let COVID-19 "run its course." they are willing to sacrifice the actual lives of vulnerable people in order to save the economy. some Evangelicals are peppering this nonsense with scripture. have they forgotten about that Golden Calf?

If you or someone you love is spouting nihilistic bullshit like this, try to talk some sense into them. I would recommend a slap to the face, but don't touch other people's faces. not right now, at least.

The well-being of "...the economy..." being... The Golden Calf. Interesting (I would have thought the economy is seen as the Golden Goose, but I understand the connection with the "Evangelicals"). Not the economy itself, as in the US economy, the poor stay poor and the rich stay rich. Which isn't what the poor really want. Meaning, the poor would like a different economy. But no one wants the suffering that a fallen economy would bring... Poor or rich.

"It's the economy, stupid!"

LOL...

Well no... It's the way people view the economy as related to their existence. Just as it is with everything. The self... It is what it is... It wants what it wants... It does what it does.

Anyone here think that this whole experience is going to show the poor how vulnerable they are, and cause them to demand a true change? Or will the $$$s handout suffice?

Regarding the Golden Calf... It represents a turning to amusement and entertainment. If you read the related scripture you'll see that the Israelites ate, drank, "...and rose up to play..." in front of it. This is indicative of what humans worship — amusement and entertainment — as the Golden Calf was an idol created for worship. And there is an element of vanity in it, as it had to be made with human effort... So they worshipped what they made, that gave them amusement and entertainment.

So...

"I'd rather die than let the economy fall part."

Pure vanity.

Where is the guarantee that the economy won't fall apart even with your death?

And for sure... If there is anything that we can know from scripture... It's that scripture doesn't big up human vanity.

 

Edited by RidingAgain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

Come on now... You know this is the norm... It's how it is... The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

Absolutely. All I can hope for is the opportunity to watch it all go away.

And my question for our virtue signaling LT governor is : would you suck a dick for the economy Dan? How much do you love the free market?

It's just one dick Dan.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...