IGNORED

Riders with ear buds involved in head on collisions are criminal liable...

The Tip

...at least that's the rumor I'm attempting to start here. If the rumor becomes pervasive enough perhaps these idiots will think twice before riding trail with both ears stuffed with sound.

I was thinking about this as I was riding the, twisty-turny-lots of blind corner, 45 stuff today. On blind corners I go "ding ding" to hopefully alert oncoming riders. I thought it would be just my luck to run into some doofus that couldn't hear me.

Just a thought. I did have to navigate lots of people on the trail today. They all heard me thankfully.

Criminally liable is different thing and will probably never happen, but if someone has ear buds and does not hear your bell, in an accident you would probably win when suing them (not a lawyer).

If you said "civilly" liable it would most likely be true. 

Basically you could argue negligence and if it is a two way trail that is frequented by bikes at speed, you'd have good standing to say that they should have been paying attention. Earbuds could be argued to be negligent, just like texting and driving. 

I've heard peoples earbuds on the trail before even seeing where they are. I don't understand how you can even listen to music that loud. I ride my bike to get away from all the crap we endure during our regular lives, when I ride I prefer just the sound of nature and my bike.

As for head on collisions, when I was a younger road rider there was a story of two cyclists in my area that had a head on collision on the road. One guy was on the wrong side of the road and collided with the other cyclist one of them died from the collision the other had permanent disabilities from it. Just consider two riders traveling at 20-30mph hitting each other at a combined speed of 40-60mph.

• Like 4

When I was about 16 I was on my Takara Road bike I was racing my friend on a paved "trail" through a very twisty heavily wooded section.  Sure enough I came around a corner and there was family riding side by side on their bikes.  I put my head down and just plowed into the Male rider, did a flip off the bike and landed on my back some distance away.  I became aware of the next moment when the child riding in the bike seat on the bike started crying.  We all got up, the dad chewed me out pretty well and they rode off.  I picked my bike up and I had bent the frame so bad the front wheel wouldn't turn under the frame so I had to walk home.  Thankfully no one was hurt.

FF to today- Yes I do ride with headphones both on the trail and when I used to road ride/ commute.  When I am on the road (riding to a trail or urban) I can hear easily a car coming behind me, I don't have them loud enough that I cant hear the people talking to me when riding in a group.

Never rode this bike again after that day......

vintage 10 speed bike Classifieds - Buy & Sell vintage 10 speed ...

I've started wearing an ear bud while riding.  Especially if on an extended ride or out by myself.  And I can barely hear it in my ear for safety reasons, and this low amount of input really helps with my tinnitus. I doubt that if someone were to try and sue me over wearing them, I doubt it would go very far.  I think nonattentive riding would be a much larger issue.

And for the record, I cant stand guys blaring their music on a blue tooth speaker zip tied to their handle bars.  I truly enjoy the crunch of my tires and the being alone aspect of riding.

3 minutes ago, Ericbike6 said:

And for the record, I cant stand guys blaring their music on a blue tooth speaker zip tied to their handle bars.  I truly enjoy the crunch of my tires and the being alone aspect of riding.

I agree. Just like on a golf course too. So annoying messing with my out in nature experience.

But on my ride the other day, with all the blind turns, I actually thought about this. I decided that I would much prefer tolerating the "cow bell" effect of the radio than smacking into an oblivious ear bud wearer.

14 minutes ago, Ericbike6 said:

This is truly a pet peeve of mine.   I dont care if you have headphones. I honestly dont think on trails there are truly that many blindspots. I hear and see people through trees. It is isnt like we wear ghillie suits and no one can see us. Just situational awareness I guess. BUt yea,, hate the speakers for some reason.   

• Like 1

I would say I hate the speakers, but it really only bothers me for the 5 seconds when I can hear it as they pass. How much can you really hate something that is a minor annoyance for only 5 seconds? I guess it's just the attitude that your tunes are more important than my quiet that pisses me off. 

• Like 1

On one of the map apps I used there would be a voice every so often telling you how long you'd been riding for (I think, or maybe it's mileage)... I'd forget to mute and it would bug me no end.

Never worn earbuds while riding... It just doesn't fit in with why I ride. For me... The less I hear of the human world the better.

Edited by RidingAgain

30 minutes ago, notyal said:

I would say I hate the speakers, but it really only bothers me for the 5 seconds when I can hear it as they pass. How much can you really hate something that is a minor annoyance for only 5 seconds? I guess it's just the attitude that your tunes are more important than my quiet that pisses me off. 

Touche' I am a hypocrite. I thought the dude I rode by last week blasting Motorhead was pretty cool. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, notyal said:

Pissed riding = Cleaning climbs!

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2020 at 2:39 PM, Shinerider said:

I just purchased a set of those "Airstreamz" so I can hear better when I ride.  I will report back if they work.  They are mainly for roadies, but might work at higher speed stuff offroad (as well as the road to get to the trail)

Well, they "sorta" work.  Problem is with helmets with straps that are more enduro vs. roadie - the doohicky stays about 1/4" to 1/2" away from your cheekbone, thereby mostly nullifying the benefit.  They should be pushed up against your cheek for max benefit.  Not gonna keep $15 earmuffs.  Amazon to the rescue.   Oh, yeah, and Brian Sloan even mentioned it made me look like a Hasidic Jew with the curly locks!  😆payos.png