IGNORED

Urban/Commute/Paths/About Town

On 1/30/2023 at 8:32 AM, AustinBike said:

Actually I have switched. You can go under Airport on that spur trail, then hit Mansell south (over the pedestrian bridge) and head east on Gonzales to pick up Shady. A little bit longer but no traffic lights or traffic to deal with.

Nice! Never saw that pedestrian bridge.  Good way to avoid all that glass by the convenience store on Shady/Airport. Have to give that a shot on my next loop.  Looks like it may be another hike & bike weekend if this weather persists. 😞 

Question. I headed over to that path a few months back and it had like 2' of water trapped on the path under Airport because the path was the low point. They resolve that?

6 hours ago, June Bug said:

I saw a pic in the last few days of the parking scene related to an OMG Squee "event".  People were driving across the bike path to park on the grass beside the path. 

We rode past the "event" - it was Chinese New Year festival.  There was at least a dozen cars on the concrete bike path right beside the RR tracks. 

3 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

Nice! Never saw that pedestrian bridge.  Good way to avoid all that glass by the convenience store on Shady/Airport. Have to give that a shot on my next loop.  Looks like it may be another hike & bike weekend if this weather persists. 😞 

Question. I headed over to that path a few months back and it had like 2' of water trapped on the path under Airport because the path was the low point. They resolve that?

I have only had one time where the water was trapped on the path. This week's water will not be an issue, I believe it needs a much larger amount of water.

• 2 weeks later...

curiosity finally got to me. I went on a quest to find the "Welcome to Jarden" sign as Moore's Crossing (it's gone 😞 ) and find out where all those bike paths near the airport go. in summary: it was a not a good route, but I got some pedaling in and had some fun.

coming from southwest Austin, I had to traverse east on William Cannon and wrap around McKinney Falls State Park. Parts of that were safe and comfortable, but at other parts, the shoulder would inexplicably disappear. There's a sidewalk on southbound McKinney Falls Pkwy that works for a while (I'm riding against traffic on that) but construction north of the Park has a tall fence blocking the sidewalk. I'm really surprised that they were allowed to put the fence right up against the curb and block the sidewalk. There's no safe way for anyone to follow that stretch of road now.

I pedaled to Burleson and away from the city on a relatively safe road to Moore's Crossing. that's a really nice park.

1703384406_Moores_crossingbridge.thumb.jpg.0f0543531ccd8f629561acc3667279d3.jpg

531101686_ScreenShot2023-02-12at8_00_54AM.png.368138b3a29c0ed311da8d00bc73d325.png

I continued on Burleson to 973 and headed north again. yikes. I forced this into a "gravel" ride by riding the dirt shoulder most of the way.

Just before reaching Hwy 71, I turned onto a smaller road that mysteriously has sidewalks and painted bike lanes. There are no buildings whatsoever. Contrary to what Google Maps says, there is no Del Valle Marketplace there.

361603616_ScreenShot2023-02-12at8_05_56AM.png.cefe67c587a5786909a3158324b3449f.png

VelocityATX.jpg.b86682092220dc9fbd07b2bb9288527d.jpg

I was thoroughly confused about the purpose of all this infrastructure, but I kept going.

It finally made sense when I started seeing large signs for a development called Velocity. Check that out! Seems interesting, like they're trying to build another Domain out past the Bergstrom Airport. This little corner of road must be the first bit of that, which they had to build first for some reason. I'm sure this will have no impact on traffic in the area!

There's a generous bike path along the highway here, which essentially connects no-one to no-where. I rode it to where 71 crosses Onion Creek, but the path abruptly ends. I was hoping there would be more paths to explore in the park, but I needed to head back. All this infrastructure with lights ($$), and it just ends here:

1757546238_OnionCreek71.jpg.2f1f8e057b6183cbfe5be81caeeabbfb.jpg

I made a poor line choice while crossing under the highway and rode through some thick mud, which stopped up my tires. 

mud.thumb.jpg.d6b7893037a12e0a0a68b052efbeed37.jpg

I started heading back, using the bike paths that traverse the airport. These paths are pretty nice, but again, they don't really connect anything residential. It looks like no one ever uses them. I made the mistake of trying to go north on 973, past the Tesla facility. It's fine for a while, then becomes a super narrow highway with nowhere safe to ride, so I turned around. The bike paths past the airport lead you confidently back to 183, which has lovely bike routes back to the old Montopolis Bridge and east Cesar Chavez. This whole thing took longer than I anticipated. I was running out of daylight and it was getting cold, so my wife rescued me at Lustre Pearl.

takeaway: this could be part of an interesting route of mostly roads. The bit from east Austin to the airport is fine. it would work better as an out-and-back. getting to that area from southwest Austin is a lot harder, although it'd like to see if it would work better if I bypassed 973 and continued on Burleson where it becomes El Roy and taken Heine Farm back toward Onion Creek.

If I ever invite you to go "exploring" with me, it's mostly so I have someone to call EMS if I get run over by a redneck in a truck because I'm riding stupid places like this.

85381574_ScreenShot2023-02-12at8_37_30AM.png.d738a8a9d9b21864004a37a08b006bde.png

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 4

good call. reported on 311. there's no good reason to block a sidewalk that gives people access to a State Park.

I'm drawn to the rural-ness of east Austin, but it gets dicey fast. I'll keep my explore-from-home rides to more urban settings going forward. otherwise, I need to drive out to Lockhart or Llano to find settings that are safer.

On 2/12/2023 at 8:37 AM, mack_turtle said:

I pedaled to Burleson and away from the city on a relatively safe road to Moore's Crossing. that's a really nice park.

531101686_ScreenShot2023-02-12at8_00_54AM.png.368138b3a29c0ed311da8d00bc73d325.png

85381574_ScreenShot2023-02-12at8_37_30AM.png.d738a8a9d9b21864004a37a08b006bde.png

OK, I wasn't familiar with Moore's Crossing.  Have to check that out.  

You went by Pilot Knob.  It was an important landmark on the Camino Real, which crosses Onion Creek in McKinney Falls State Park. For those familiar with the park, the crossing is at the large expanse of exposed limestone by the shallow crossing on Onion Creek.

13 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

The North Walnut Creek trail extension is now open. It takes you under Lamar and ends at Oakbrook and Cedarbrook - Walnut Bluffs Trailhead. So not ideal for crossing I35. but still its pretty great. and it turns out there are more trails on that side.

PXL_20230215_205017933.jpg

PXL_20230215_204939653.jpg

Is there a route under I-35 from there? I ended up back on Barker after I couldn't find my way out of there.

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Is there a route under I-35 from there? I ended up back on Barker after I couldn't find my way out of there.

My office overlooks the creek where that trail will go under I-35. The trail will go behind the Girl Scouts office building at some point, if my understanding is correct. It's a long way from being done. I don't see anything down there except some very advanced "camping" spots.

On 2/12/2023 at 8:37 AM, mack_turtle said:

There's a generous bike path along the highway here, which essentially connects no-one to no-where. I rode it to where 71 crosses Onion Creek, but the path abruptly ends. I was hoping there would be more paths to explore in the park, but I needed to head back. All this infrastructure with lights ($$), and it just ends here:

I use 130 (Pickle Parkway!) to go visit family in Cuero and was always intrigued by the bike/pedestrian path that goes from Pearce Lane to the  little Travis County park, Barkley Meadows, at Hwy 71 and Hwy 130 intersection.

On your map, Barkley Meadows Park is the green area with a little lake  directly above the "M" in Meadows at Berdoll.  Pearce Lane is the street that crosses that same "M".  The bike path visible from Hwy 130 is on the west side. Googlemaps shows a path that continues from Barkley Meadows and possibly there is a way to navigate under 71 -- google just shows construction --  to access Southeast Metropolitan Park via trail.  Google maps also shows a trailhead for a "primitive trail" on the north side of the park that leads north towards Onion Creek Wildlife Sanctuary. 

Screenshot 2023-02-20 5.59.38 AM.png

However, Google maps also shows Antojitos La Herradura in the middle of a field close by, so there's that. 

I have to make that trip to Cuero on Thursday; I'll check out Moore's Crossing and Barkley Meadows.  Now I'm wondering if that's a dog park or named after a Barkley or maybe named after a dog named Barkley. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2023 at 9:59 AM, mack_turtle said:

My office overlooks the creek where that trail will go under I-35. The trail will go behind the Girl Scouts office building at some point, if my understanding is correct. It's a long way from being done. I don't see anything down there except some very advanced "camping" spots.

I'm the COA project manager for the next 9 miles of NWCT. We are in the process of finalizing a purchase on Cedarbrook, near the current end of 2A, so we will be able to build a bridge across WC. The design of that project (Oakbrook/Cedarbrook to IH35) will be at 35% this summer, so possibly starting construction late 2024. We should be in construction on the other side of IH35, going east to Peggotty place sooner than that. The only problem - IH35 Crossing - is in TxDOT's court. For this crowd it should be NBD - just bandit ride under IH35. But for the All Ages crowd, it will be a few years, as TxDOT is 100% replacing IH35 over WC - that project is through design but is un funded as I understand. 

The odd ball level of infrastructure you saw south of 71 near Velocity - that is the new Austin Transportation Dept. requirements in real life. As of last year, almost any new road has to have a certain level of bike and ped support, even if it doesn't yet connect to anything. So a random intersection looks like it belongs in a more populated area. Good news is when the developer builds out Velocity or similar neighborhood they will have to continue to the bike/ped support. But for now it looks out of place.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

The odd ball level of infrastructure you saw south of 71 near Velocity - that is the new Austin Transportation Dept. requirements in real life. As of last year, almost any new road has to have a certain level of bike and ped support, even if it doesn't yet connect to anything.

This will pay off big time in the long run.  Where I live (close to McNeil/Spicewood Springs US183 intersection) we have bus stops that drop you in a slip lane island with no sidewalks in all but one direction until now.  These are some of the most used bus stops and walking paths in the NW and you used to have to walk in dirt/grass and off-camber culvert sections where you could.

In related news, I just recently rode on Exposition blvd for the first time in years.  The last time I had ridden it, there was construction and the entitled and aggressive driving just scared me off even though it has mostly good bike lines.  They've since added traffic calming measures (as simple as a raised island at pedestrian crossings) and it's shocking how much difference this has made. These are not bumps/cushions but just a narrowing of the area.  Goes to show how many people have no idea where the edges of their gigantic cars are.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

This will pay off big time in the long run.  Where I live (close to McNeil/Spicewood Springs US183 intersection) we have bus stops that drop you in a slip lane island with no sidewalks in all but one direction until now.  These are some of the most used bus stops and walking paths in the NW and you used to have to walk in dirt/grass and off-camber culvert sections where you could.

In related news, I just recently rode on Exposition blvd for the first time in years.  The last time I had ridden it, there was construction and the entitled and aggressive driving just scared me off even though it has mostly good bike lines.  They've since added traffic calming measures (as simple as a raised island at pedestrian crossings) and it's shocking how much difference this has made. These are not bumps/cushions but just a narrowing of the area.  Goes to show how many people have no idea where the edges of their gigantic cars are.

Personal opinion (not COA) I strongly dislike the pedestrian island as a traffic calming measure. It's ATD's new go-to but I'm not a fan of potentially pausing pedestrians in an area we already know has a speed issue. I get the point, just not in love with the execution.

• Like 1

I used to work in the office park at Riata & 183 and came in off McNeil. My drive went right by McNeil HS. Used to be pissed at the inconsiderate assholes that would take up the bike lane from parmer almost all the way back up McNeil to the HS to try to squeeze past the other traffic. Even saw school bus drivers doing it. Kids would ride and walk to school in the dirt and high weeds instead of in the bike lane because it was that dangerous. Drove thru there for the first time in 6+ mos last week and was glad to see they’ve finally installed the plastic pylons to keep cars in the traffic lanes. It’s no Man’s land at the edge of city & county borders so figured it was on nobody’s radar. Glad it was finally segregated all the way up to 183 it looks like. Now the stretch of McNeil from the concrete plant back to MOPAC…can’t believe the nuts bravely riding that stretch!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Personal opinion (not COA) I strongly dislike the pedestrian island as a traffic calming measure. It's ATD's new go-to but I'm not a fan of potentially pausing pedestrians in an area we already know has a speed issue. I get the point, just not in love with the execution.

Yeah, well those are the same people that said yes to putting traffic islands down the shoulders of shoal creek Blvd. then they put trees in the island that you had to go into traffic to avoid. Just because it’s new doesn’t mean better…no matter who’s in law came up with it. 🙄

Edited by Chongo Loco

It's not just Austin Energy who is behind on basic system improvements. The City overall is WAY behind on bike/ped infrastructure. There is so much to do, and lots of appetite for the improvements, but not a lot of appetite for the cost (financial and loss of traffic lane space or loss of ROW/property edges to expand ROW). There is a really good team at ATD and public works focused on getting more and safer bike infrastructure in. There just are not enough of them to make it happen quick enough.

If you are in Districts 6 or 10 (and some parts of 7) - email your council person asking them to push for more bike and sidewalk spending in your district. Places like Jollyville Rd, McNeil, Old Spicewood, 360, Parmer Ln - places with a lot of existing bike traffic - are not getting the funding priority. 

7 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

Yeah, well those are the same people that said yes to putting traffic islands down the shoulders of shoal creek Blvd. then they put trees in the island that you had to go into traffic to avoid. Just because it’s new doesn’t mean better…no matter who’s in law came up with it. 🙄

Sadly, two different initiatives that clash - traffic calming and the street trees program. Use the 311 app, snap a pic and GPS and report any trees in the way or that need trimming. Different from the people that design, the people that maintain are more than happy to cut stuff back to city standard spacing off lanes. BUT there are not a lot of them and they only really know about places people complain about. 

20 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Yeah as a pedestrian I would never stop in that island.  Cars should stop once a pedestrian starts crossing.  I hope those aren't interpreted by drivers as not having to stop!  I'll say this for any kind of median at an intersection, here in my neighborhood, I've almost gotten hit 2x while stopped at a stop sign on the right of the road b/c drivers are trying to make the left turn before an oncoming car forces them to wait an extra 5 seconds.  They should be more common especially on "arterial" neighborhood streets.

• 4 weeks later...

At the very least, please consider commenting that there are effectively no proposed improvements west of Shoal Creek and that's just silly. With TxDOT making improvements slowly along 360, now is the time for the city to also put in improvements along 360. Jollyville is a heavily travel the bike route and yet woefully unsafe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 8:11 AM, Mattlikesbikes said:

Yes. That is my largest project. It's going to take 4-6 years 

Do you work for Public Works? Can I get your email?

TrailCoordinator at AustinRidgeRiders.com

Edited by cmc4130