IGNORED

rank trails in order of heat stroke danger

13 hours ago, throet said:

Damn does it really have to be this complicated? If you're thirsty ... drink. If you're not thirsty ... don't drink. If your piss is dark yellow ... drink. If your piss is clear ... don't drink. 

Agreed. Not everything has to be turned into a pissing contest. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

What's complicated about a discussion of water consumption?  It could've been a discussion about tire pressure or handlebar width.  I thought this board is a place for discussion.  

Oh, and you can only drink if you have water on you, so the discussion follows well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TAF said:

Curious where you are sourcing a 32 oz bottle. The largest I have is the Camelbak Podium Big Chill, and that's 24 oz.

Oh, I don't use bottles when I mountain bike and simply guessed on the size.  I don't even have a bottle cage on my mountain bike.  

I know tons of people have to pee during a ride, but that's not usually me.  My brother (an MD) tells me I should probably drink more.  I've done 12 and 24 hour races during which I pee only once in the first lap. In my head, I drank the perfect amount such that I do not have to stop and all my fluids are expelled through sweat...but my brother tells me I may be limiting muscle perfusion which is needed to flush by-products.  I've had races where I retained too much fluid and I weighed more after the race than before.  I've had races where it was cold enough that I didn't have to drink much (less than a half bottle per hour) and that meant I wasn't taking enough calories.  I've been doing these kind of races for 11 years now and I'm still learning every time I do another one. It only takes one variable changing before the old adage "drink when you're thirsty" is not enough--at least for me.

BTW, I am interested in learning more about the human body efficiency on power conversion and how much we dissipate.  I've always known my top-end power for more than 1-2 minutes is limited by my ability to dissipate heat.  This is especially obvious when doing trainer rides.  But I've never quantified this and researched enough to figure out airflow/evaporation rates which I'd love to do.  But I love geeking out on this stuff and anyone else can just ignore me.

• Like 1

I stopped using a Camelbak full time after the 2018 Dragonslayer. I was drinking the full 100oz on each lap, and I ended up having to stop to pee 3 times each on the last two laps. I was drinking way too much water (...to be clear). Since then I've largely only used bottles, although recently I've started dabbling in a fanny hip pack for some occasions and locations--or if I just don't want to wear a jersey.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Barry said:

I was drinking way too much water (...to be clear). 

is this a double-entendre?

I usually stop by pee about once an hour while riding, even in the heat. I always know my hydration strategy is wrong when I ride for more than two hours and don't have any sensation that I need to pee. "i'm drinking water. where is it all going?"

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

is this a double-entendre?

I usually stop by pee about once an hour while riding, even in the heat. I always know my hydration strategy is wrong when I ride for more than two hours and don't have any sensation that I need to pee. "i'm drinking water. where is it all going?"

Do you pee once an hour or two when not riding?

Three years ago I started using SKRATCH hydration mix in really hot weather. It's fantastic but the recommended amount/bottle triggered such an intense thirst response I had to cut way down on how much I added to a bottle of water.   

Three years ago I started using SKRATCH hydration mix in really hot weather. It's fantastic but the recommended amount/bottle triggered such an intense thirst response I had to cut way down on how much I added to a bottle of water.   

In the heat a big (24 oz) bottle I found I tolerate a not quite full scoop with half a NUUN. Skratch is a bit too sugary at their proportions. On longer hot rides I just put 5-6 scoops in a bottle and water only in camelbak. Easier cleanup and you always have some water for your head or to clean sweaty glasses.

Lately I notice I’m good with hydration with 2 bottles but tend to get behind at times with the pack. Harder to see just how much you’ve had to drink. Went so long without a pack from back issues so need to get better.

For those that tried Fanny packs and disliked them, I got bibs with pockets and really like them with a loose jersey. Two bottles in them is much more comfortable than a jersey tugging down or a Fanny pack moving around. My frame only has room for 1 cage so it was the best option for packless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chongo Loco said:

In the heat a big (24 oz) bottle I found I tolerate a not quite full scoop with half a NUUN. Skratch is a bit too sugary at their proportions. On longer hot rides I just put 5-6 scoops in a bottle and water only in camelbak. Easier cleanup and you always have some water for your head or to clean sweaty glasses.

[snip]

For those that tried Fanny packs and disliked them, I got bibs with pockets and really like them with a loose jersey. Two bottles in them is much more comfortable than a jersey tugging down or a Fanny pack moving around. My frame only has room for 1 cage so it was the best option for packless.

Yeah I don't put anything but water in my bladder.  My Infinit mix has protein in it so it tends to allow stuff to grow super easily in there.  I think most would be shocked at what I put in my bottles.  It's 70g of powder per bottle, which is mostly carbs and 700mg of sodium.  280 calories per bottle and gets absorbed super fast.  Diluting it further actually will slow down absorption.  Drinking the concentrated solution has to be followed quickly by a few gulps of water.

As far as jersey tugging, I generally wear race-fit jerseys, but I've lost some weight and now some feel loose.  Those are the ones that tug the most for me...well those and any Specialized jersey (they suck, especially in the summer).

• 9 months later...

I'm usually a weather eagle and know the 10-day forecast, but it caught me by surprise when a friend posted this insanely hot long-term forecast on fb today. 

It doesn't matter which trail, these are danger zone temps -- between 102° and 104° starting Monday and going through the following Sunday.  Who knows after that. Even if the forecast drops by a few degrees, crazy hot. 

Screenshot 2022-06-03 3.43.44 PM.png

I'm determined to GTFO of Texas within the next year, or find some way to come back only during the temperate months. This is only going to get worse. I with I could "acclaimate"  to it, but I just confirmed that I moved here nine years ago today, after six years in San Antonio. It's not happening.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I'm determined to GTFO of Texas within the next year, or find some way to come back only during the temperate months. This is only going to get worse. I with I could "acclaimate"  to it, but I just confirmed that I moved here nine years ago today, after six years in San Antonio. It's not happening.

Youngest just graduated. Our house is now listed for sale and we have our eyes on two places to spend our time.

The heat & humidity can go fuck itself. We're done with trying to make the most of cycling here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Youngest just graduated. Our house is now listed for sale and we have our eyes on two places to spend our time.

The heat & humidity can go fuck itself. We're done with trying to make the most of cycling here. 

On the plus side, it's pretty darn nice here for riding 8 months out of the year. Still, I'm sure there is better out there, especially when factoring in cost-of-living. I'm taking the summer off from riding this year, unless I take a trip to the mountains. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, throet said:

On the plus side, it's pretty darn nice here for riding 8 months out of the year. Still, I'm sure there is better out there, especially when factoring in cost-of-living. I'm taking the summer off from riding this year, unless I take a trip to the mountains. 

For sure. Admittedly, I lost my fall weather riding due to injury and my last MTB ride was this past easter. 

You'll have a place to crash soon if you do seek the mountains😉. Found a couple places to buy right outside monte saint anne  for the summer and southern AZ for the winter. Just have to get this house sold before the door slams on foreign buyers in canada. 

Since i work outside every day,  i have a particular disdain for the TX heat.  It seemed to me that gravel biking is the only way to go when summer hits in ATX. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

It used to be June 15th to September 15th for the hot season when we moved here in the 90's. Now it is May 15th to October 15th.

I am pretty confident that this will get worse in the future, not better.

We've gone from 3 months of bad heat to 5 months. So we are literally getting close to the point where bad weather outpaces good weather. 

I will be happy to be leaving and heading to cooler locations. Some places like Denver were out of reach because my wife does not want snow, but in a few more years this might not be an issue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

It used to be June 15th to September 15th for the hot season when we moved here in the 90's. Now it is May 15th to October 15th.

I am pretty confident that this will get worse in the future, not better.

We've gone from 3 months of bad heat to 5 months. So we are literally getting close to the point where bad weather outpaces good weather. 

I will be happy to be leaving and heading to cooler locations. Some places like Denver were out of reach because my wife does not want snow, but in a few more years this might not be an issue.

Pretty much this∆

I was listening to a researcher say that by 2050, the climate/landscape in Austin will more resemble San Angelo and the desert will have crept further into the western hill country. I think that's certainly a possibility with lack of rain we've been seeing, and the massive influx of people moving to TX.

By that logic, the PNW might be a good choice as it'll be more like the SF bay area by then.

I will say that living with snow in the Rockies is completely different than the Midwest or northeast. Fuck those winters. 

Either way, moving by large fresh water sources is a pretty safe bet.

Edited by ATXZJ