Jump to content
IGNORED

rank trails in order of heat stroke danger


Recommended Posts

I stopped in Academy Sports last night to look for light, long-sleeved shirts and found this "running hoodie" for $5 on the clearance rack! I'm going to go back and try to find another one in that size. went on a ride this morning and it felt fine. the hood seemed to help a bit when I was out the open with the Saturday morning sun beating down on me.

image.png.131855925b16647470632d00d5cbf950.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awhile back I did a r**d ride with friends on our regular ride out of Dripping Springs - a lollipop route with a fork at a creek.   On the way back I was overheating and stopped to dip my entire jersey in the creek, thinking evaporative cooling would provide a nice cool down. 

But no.  It was too hot and such high humidity that evaporative cooling didn't work.

Gack. It was just a nasty hot clammy slog the three or four miles back to the car. 

This morning I zipped over to Walnut Creek for a quick ride -- Inner and Outer Log Loops, and on the little climb back up to the detention dam by the Lincolnshire entrance  there was no shade and it suddenly felt like a blow torch on my back -- it was only 9:45 am.  Just kept pedaling onto Lincolnshire toward home and and had a nice collapse in the AC. 

Health issues and some new meds might be creating a heat sensitivity, I don't know.  Or maybe it's, you know, so ******* HOT.  

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Funny you guys mentioned sweat smell. A couple of years ago I stopped used deodorant/anti-perspirant during the week, and have since developed a mild allergy to it. Luckily i work alone and don't sweat or stink too bad so its not an issue during the day. At night when we go out, I'll use deodorant and then wake up with itchy pits in the middle of the night. Have since switched to some all natural fragrance free roll on deodorant, and that seems to be fine but i still sweat.

I been a speed stick deodorant user forever.  If I use antiperspirant I get the worst itch.  I also tried Tom’s all natural (with hops) and I honestly feel after 8 hours I may smell worse than no deodorant at all.

the pandemic and hybrid work means I don’t wear deodorant every day.  I never thought I’d get to that point but it’s fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

the pandemic and hybrid work means I don’t wear deodorant every day.

Yeah, same initial reason, but I've given up on that altogether , even use a more miles and fragrance free soap and shampoo now, no complaints. Not like the old stuff held up against real sweat situations before anyway. Would have had to bodily dip me in it to get full coverage of where my sweating originates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

the pandemic and hybrid work means I don’t wear deodorant every day.  I never thought I’d get to that point but it’s fine.

I'm with you on this.

My typical day is get up do some yard work or contracting work in the morning, ride my bike about 11 - 1, then shower. I find that on normal days if I shower ~1 in the afternoon I never need deodorant because there is no need (trust me, Mrs. AB would be the first to let me know.) Basically I only wear it if I am going to be out in public. Pandemic world has limited that and a single stick lasts a long time. In really hot times I am often showering a couple times a day, further limiting the need. Ultimately that is a good thing for my body, I suppose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I also tried Tom’s all natural (with hops)

There's a Tom's deodorant that smells like roses...

Just made a donation to bikepackingroots.org and then clicked the tab (out of habit) for the 10-day forecast. 

For mental self preservation, people, DO NOT CHECK THE 10-DAY FORECAST!

Robert Earl Keen, Not a Drop of Rain (final stanza) 

The wind and dust are dancing like the devil 'cross the lake
I could try and find a bottle or try and find a breeze
Salvation won't be traveling either road I take
So I turn my collar to the wind that echoes this refrain
It's been a long, hot summer, not a drop of rain

Edit: I was on facebook literally a minute after posting and this thing from Lumē Deodorant addressing something no one has brought up is RIGHT THERE:  "All crotch and butt smells come from bacteria digesting the fluids on our skin and creating odors. Lumē stops them from eating so they can’t stink. Now they are polite bacteria!"  

A cheerful mom in a video is telling us that Lumē is the best thing for all those cracks, folds and crevices!  But it's also for guys! lumedeodorant.com

 

 

 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2022 at 10:50 AM, mack_turtle said:

I'm looking to the southern end of the Appalachian Mountains now. staying away from the Atlantic coast. Boone, NC, perhaps? something like that.

We're rethinking AZ due to the water issues, and figure we should check out the eastern US as well. TN, VA and NC are on the list with NC being the most appealing because it has a fairly low cost of living, four seasons, mountains and a coastline. 

Planning on taking a trip out the in the next 30 days to scout it a bit.

 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Love NC and the OBX.  Check the area out before it’s gone.

@June Bug

Especially before 20+ million people realize they'll be out of water in the coming decades, and buy up everything east of the Mississippi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Focus on western half of NC ... Raleigh area getting lots of Big Tech inflow and all that means.

And while the riding is decent around Raleigh it's better around Charlotte . I'm no expert on the mountain towns like Boone though, only barely explored at all. Stupid pandemic hit right after we got relocated here so kind of hamstrung that way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, bear said:

Focus on western half of NC ... Raleigh area getting lots of Big Tech inflow and all that means.

And while the riding is decent around Raleigh it's better around Charlotte . I'm no expert on the mountain towns like Boone though, only barely explored at all. Stupid pandemic hit right after we got relocated here so kind of hamstrung that way.

Thanks

Definitely looking in Asheville area. After Austin, I've had just about all the flatlandia I can stand.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Planning on taking a trip out the in the next 30 days to scout it a bit.

The wife and I spent last weekend planning the same thing. Roadtrip to Knoxville, Asheville, Raleigh-Durham, maybe some little north GA towns.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 1:21 PM, June Bug said:

On the way back I was overheating and stopped to dip my entire jersey in the creek, thinking evaporative cooling would provide a nice cool down. 

But no.  It was too hot and such high humidity that evaporative cooling didn't work.

Too wet I think. I rode the SN race last night and used one of my bottles to splash my back and chest with water, with the temp and tech shirt I was bone dry after 15-20 min so I kept repeating. Did wonders to keep my core from overheating. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Definitely looking in Asheville area.

Some family members are doing a 2nd retirement in Asheville.  She went to high school there and has some elderly family in the area, so it's not new to them.  It has more serious winters than SE Texas though.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

Too wet I think. I rode the SN race last night and used one of my bottles to splash my back and chest with water, with the temp and tech shirt I was bone dry after 15-20 min so I kept repeating. Did wonders to keep my core from overheating.

Could be, but remember that humidity drops significantly in the later afternoon and into the evening. Today, the relative humidity at 7 am was 87% and will be at its lowest (34%) at 7 pm. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Could be, but remember that humidity drops significantly in the later afternoon and into the evening. Today, the relative humidity at 7 am was 87% and will be at its lowest (34%) at 7 pm. 

Yeah after a warm ride yesterday afternoon I got up at 6:50 am today, my thermostat said 92% humidity.  I just stayed in.  I definitely  prefer late afternoon rides these days.

Edited by AntonioGG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Yeah after a warm ride yesterday afternoon I got up at 6:50 am today, my thermostat said 92% humidity.  I just stayed in.  I definitely  prefer late afternoon rides these days.

My preferred riding time in the summer is 9:00am - 10:30am. Too early, and the dew point and temperature are too close for comfort, meaning the air is saturated with moisture. On any given day though, the dew point doesn't generally drop drastically later in the day, meaning there is just as much moisture in the air but at much higher temps. Late morning is the perfect compromise IMO because the temps are high enough to allow some evaporative cooling, but not so high that they raise your body temperature even when you're standing still. I rode Friday night from 6:30 to 8:30, and that first hour was brutal. Temp was 96 but "feel like" was 102. Of course it also depends a lot on how much you exert yourself, and Double Down probably wasn't the right place to start my ride that night.    

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

The wife and I spent last weekend planning the same thing. Roadtrip to Knoxville, Asheville, Raleigh-Durham, maybe some little north GA towns.

Fwiw, if you don't have and want some RDU local info or riding time shoot me a pm or email. Usually free weekends and with a bit of planning can make more time. Good luck in your journeys.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

The wife and I spent last weekend planning the same thing. Roadtrip to Knoxville, Asheville, Raleigh-Durham, maybe some little north GA towns.

Asheville is in a boom the last few years. Brevard, south of Asheville, is a growing college town. Right on the edge of Pisgah Forest and DuPont State Park.  Came real close to moving there 20 years ago, but wife missed Texas. It’s grown a ton in the last decade since I was last there friends tell me. North of Asheville you have either Boone, NC (NNE) or Johnson City, TN (NNW). Both small college towns but far enough from AshVegas to not be booming like Brevard but a short hop on the interstate if you want to go bigger city. I have friends in Johnson City and they found the coolest old Victorian house right near ETSU’s campus. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, throet said:

My preferred riding time in the summer is 9:00am - 10:30am. Too early, and the dew point and temperature are too close for comfort

"back in the day" ... in the '00s when I lived in ATX and worked in the pixel mines most ppl I worked with got in to the office between 10-11am so I went for ~2 hr GB or CP rides most mornings. Stupid humid, yes, for the warmer times but beat the crap out of not riding. Was quite challenging sometimes considering at the time I rode with double-lensed eyeglasses (RX + sunglass shield) so fogging was a problem.

*&*&*^^&^&^ job now has 8am "huddles" and "crap" often kicks up at 3:30-4pm ... why, again, did I go for promotion last summer? Must have been hypnotized.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2022 at 7:50 AM, ATXZJ said:

Speaking of forecasts, here's a little MTB park comparison. 

Spider Mountain vs Beech Mountain.

 

 

 

Screenshot_20220620-074227.png

Screenshot_20220620-074533-620.png

Don't have a bike with me in Chicago this time, but wish I did, here's the rest of my week:

194735278_ScreenShot2022-06-21at8_07_23AM.thumb.jpg.cf4afc8e984753320d66ff9ad236c4cd.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, bear said:

"back in the day" ... in the '00s when I lived in ATX and worked in the pixel mines most ppl I worked with got in to the office between 10-11am so I went for ~2 hr GB or CP rides most mornings.

I could never get to an R&I when I was working at Dell because there were always 5:00 meetings because some bonewipe would say "that's the only time I have open..."

I started doing 6AM WC laps then hit the showers at work. It was great. Well, actually it sucked, but it was better than not riding.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I could never get to an R&I when I was working at Dell because there were always 5:00 meetings because some bonewipe would say "that's the only time I have open..."

I started doing 6AM WC laps then hit the showers at work. It was great. Well, actually it sucked, but it was better than not riding.

I actually just put a mandatory 4-5 clise-out meeting Fridays for all my direct reports.

Then I skyped then to tell them I'd never be there unless there's and ongoing Incident.

Considering repeating for M-Th

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...