IGNORED

Performance Bikes to close!

jcarneytx

Yeah, the problem is that I have shopped online (email required) and they correlate that to my credit card name. If I were Bob Smith it would be a much more difficult task. But there are exactly 2 people in the country with my name, one in TX and one in CA. So when I buy it is easy to make the connection.

The few times I went into either of the PB shops, they were totally void of customers and I always wondered what kept them open. I had no bad experience with them, just couldn't figure out how they stayed in business with no customers.

While we're on the subject about bike shops. Another shop that I never heard talked about is Bucks Bikes. I've been in the shop on 183 a few times and the same thing, the place was empty. No bad experience for me, it's just always made me wonder since I never hear anyone mention them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheX said:

Be more careful who you give your email address to.

I tried to explain to the guy ringing me up at the Lamar location as to how the personal info they ask for was sold and used for marketing purposes. The guy promised it was not. ha ha

Ended up giving something like Mikey Mouse as the name, and provided my work email address. Soon after, I printed and brought the various pieces of spam in to show him, along with the Performance "Privacy" Policy that clearly stated that they would indeed share the information. He was quite surprised, or seemed to be anyway.

I tend to pay cash at retail stores, or at least decline to provide zip, name, phone, etc. info at their request. If they insist I'll suggest they use the store's address.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

I tried to explain to the guy ringing me up at the Lamar location as to how the personal info they ask for was sold and used for marketing purposes. The guy promised it was not. ha ha

Ended up giving something like Mikey Mouse as the name, and provided my work email address. Soon after, I printed and brought the various pieces of spam in to show him, along with the Performance "Privacy" Policy that clearly stated that they would indeed share the information. He was quite surprised, or seemed to be anyway.

I tend to pay cash at retail stores, or at least decline to provide zip, name, phone, etc. info at their request. If they insist I'll suggest they use the store's address.

I'm pretty sure bob@gmail.com wants me dead.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

The few times I went into either of the PB shops, they were totally void of customers and I always wondered what kept them open. I had no bad experience with them, just couldn't figure out how they stayed in business with no customers.

While we're on the subject about bike shops. Another shop that I never heard talked about is Bucks Bikes. I've been in the shop on 183 a few times and the same thing, the place was empty. No bad experience for me, it's just always made me wonder since I never hear anyone mention them.

They own the building.

2 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

or at least decline to provide zip, name, phone, etc. info at their request.

I was at Harbor Freight last year and the guy at the register asked each customer for their CELL NUMBER and everyone dutifully complied. When he asked me,  "Can I get your cell phone number?" I said "No!" and he continued to ring me up without a pause. Just outrageously harvesting personal information! 

Anyway, the Performance Store on Anderson Lane is closing everything out, including CamelBaks and helmets at 30% off.  I have an Ortlieb M size seat pack on hold at the counter, and will zip over and get that today.  Ortlieb Seat Pack - Medium

30% off makes it almost $45 cheaper. You can get about the same deal online at REI right now (maybe $5 more), but you get a rebate at REI, so likely it's a wash.  Anyway,  German, incredibly well made, waterproof and light as a feather.  Ortlieb has been in the bike touring game forever, so not a big step for them to develop bike packing bags. 

On the downside, we have $21 in Performance Points  on our acct, but can't use them at the Anderson Lane store because....wait for it....they are going out of business.  South Lamar store will not close.  Anyway, they aren't pushing bargain basement prices, because whatever inventory they don't off load, I assume will just get added to another store's inventory.   That said, this might be a great opportunity to get an entry level mtn bike for slightly better than one of their usual sale prices.  (sorry, can't seem to get ride of the bolded text).

I've always enjoyed the Anderson Lane store; the store manager is a mountain biker and a few years ago he was bringing his tan lab incredibly mellow puppy to the shop, so it was great for a bit of puppy therapy when I dropped by.  In summer it was a great mid-way stop to top off my water bottle, get a little package of SKRATCH if I'd forgotten mine and and a snack (gluten-free chocolate Stinger stroop waffle) and enjoy the ac for about five minutes before heading back into the inferno. 

RIP Anderson Lane Performance Bike. 

19 minutes ago, JRA said:

They own the building.

Buck's Bikes has also been around forever; weren't they originally up in Round Rock?  Anyway, they carry Giant and I can't remember what else.  Giant has a light, inexpensive flat pedal that I like and I got mine there.  Also, some of these shops carry inexpensive bikes and are more like neighborhood stores.  Buck's is somewhat in the middle of a bike-shop desert. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2

I dropped about $300 at the Lamar store yesterday - new osprey, jacket with removable sleeves, wool socks, new seat, etc. Everything was 30% or better. 

The clothing was pretty picked through, was hoping for some long sleeve jerseys and there was nothing. Their shorts/pants were worthless. Their prices are pretty high, even with the 30% off they were priced about the same as Pearl Izumi on Amazon and I prefer that brand over performance's cheap attempt.

18 hours ago, June Bug said:

Buck's Bikes has also been around forever; weren't they originally up in Round Rock?  Anyway, they carry Giant and I can't remember what else.  Giant has a light, inexpensive flat pedal that I like and I got mine there.  Also, some of these shops carry inexpensive bikes and are more like neighborhood stores.  Buck's is somewhat in the middle of a bike-shop desert. 

They also used to have a store on Springdale just north of MLK.

18 hours ago, June Bug said:

When I was in College I worked off Anderson Mill (Yes awful commute) but that Bucks location was Mexican Resturaunt for years.  After I graduated and moved back years later I was shocked to see it as a bike shop.   Fast forward years later and I worked across 183 from there and went into Bucks ~monthly just to poke around.  They always had a decent closeout table and I would buy random stuff as needed.

When they had their spring sale I picked up my monocog from them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I dropped about $300 at the Lamar store yesterday - new osprey, jacket with removable sleeves, wool socks, new seat, etc. Everything was 30% or better. 

The clothing was pretty picked through, was hoping for some long sleeve jerseys and there was nothing. Their shorts/pants were worthless. Their prices are pretty high, even with the 30% off they were priced about the same as Pearl Izumi on Amazon and I prefer that brand over performance's cheap attempt.

And there is the problem with any brick and mortar bike shop. Their going-out-of-business-super-blowout-prices are roughly the same as you can find online any day. I feel for the local bike shops, but I'm more guilty than anyone of not supporting them. I found Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts MSPR $90 on Amazon for $14 the other day. How can you compete with that?

Performance does suck though. 

• Like 1

Just rode in the jacket I bought yesterday. 48F outside and it felt GREAT. Best bike jacket I have ever worn. Kept me warm, blocked the wind and kept me from sweating from the venting. Sleeves come off too. Great deal at 30% off:

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/cycling-clothing/mens-cycling-clothing/outerwear-raingear/performance-elite-transformer-jacket-11-4207

There are still some left.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MrMentallo said:

I'm a fan of the Forte flat pedals they carry there. Great construction for a house brand and are easy to maintain. Good mid-level flat pedals for cheap compared to high-end ones. 

I have them on my Scalpel, the blue matches. haha. They are great pedals.