Jump to content
throet

Injury Reports

Recommended Posts

NBR but I'll go ahead and post it here anyway. 

Got a quote on trimming my trees that were growing into the house. Instead decided to save $680 and do it myself. Was up on the ladder sawing a 4in diameter branch off a Live Oak. Once the cut was nearly complete, the branch bowed down as I expected it would. As I finished the cut, I expected the branch to fall down and away from me. Still not sure exactly what happened, but the moment I completed the cut, the thick part of the branch that I just cut away catapulted into my face, putting a sizeable gash in my upper lip. As is generally the case with these things, all of the urgent cares were closed, meaning I ended up at the ER paying $580 copay / coinsurance to get 3 stitches.   

image.thumb.png.bc118b229f889c244a0921cbdefb83a3.png  

  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, sorry to hear about the busted lip. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, throet said:

NBR but I'll go ahead and post it here anyway. 

Got a quote on trimming my trees that were growing into the house. Instead decided to save $680 and do it myself. Was up on the ladder sawing a 4in diameter branch off a Live Oak. Once the cut was nearly complete, the branch bowed down as I expected it would. As I finished the cut, I expected the branch to fall down and away from me. Still not sure exactly what happened, but the moment I completed the cut, the thick part of the branch that I just cut away catapulted into my face, putting a sizeable gash in my upper lip. As is generally the case with these things, all of the urgent cares were closed, meaning I ended up at the ER paying $580 copay / coinsurance to get 3 stitches.   

image.thumb.png.bc118b229f889c244a0921cbdefb83a3.png  

Sorry man. I've banged myself up pretty good being a cheapskate. Was it worth it? 

Absolutely😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this was bumped I will share my injury story.  I play ice hockey in the local leagues but hadn't played in a year because Covid.  Well, after getting vaccinated I subbed in a game a month ago and promptly tore my distal bicep tendon from the bone.  Had surgery and now no riding until at least until July/August.  Sucks because I recently got a new bike and was putting in 70+ miles a week.

On the bright side (for me) is I haven't missed much trail riding because of the rains.  I have been hiking a lot of the trails I normally ride which give a cool perspective of lines, etc.  /CSB

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

Since this was bumped I will share my injury story.  I play ice hockey in the local leagues but hadn't played in a year because Covid.  Well, after getting vaccinated I subbed in a game a month ago and promptly tore my distal bicep tendon from the bone.  Had surgery and now no riding until at least until July/August.  Sucks because I recently got a new bike and was putting in 70+ miles a week.

On the bright side (for me) is I haven't missed much trail riding because of the rains.  I have been hiking a lot of the trails I normally ride which give a cool perspective of lines, etc.  /CSB

I tore my proximal bicep tendon 15 years ago.  They couldn't re-attach it so now I have a unicep and back closer to when it happened my friends accused me of constantly flexing my left arm.  I was told that even if they'd been able to re-attach it may not do much good.  Is a distal repair more usable?

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2021 at 11:09 PM, throet said:

As is generally the case with these things, all of the urgent cares were closed, meaning I ended up at the ER paying $580 copay / coinsurance to get 3 stitches.

As a fellow recent lip injury recipient, I can certainly sympathize. I was lucky enough to have an urgent care facility open at 2AM and super close by, and a buddy to get me there. I was unlucky enough to need 11 stitches for my repair though (the installer claimed it was 12, but the un-installer only found 11). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Barry said:

As a fellow recent lip injury recipient, I can certainly sympathize. I was lucky enough to have an urgent care facility open at 2AM and super close by, and a buddy to get me there. I was unlucky enough to need 11 stitches for my repair though (the installer claimed it was 12, but the un-installer only found 11). 

How's that healing up anyway? Ya gonna live?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The Tip said:

How's that healing up anyway? Ya gonna live?

All healed up just fine. Some obvious scaring, but not nearly so  gruesome as you'd expect if you'd seen the original injury. It's maybe the definitive feature of my face now, but the good news is that now you don't notice how big my nose  is!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I tore my proximal bicep tendon 15 years ago.  They couldn't re-attach it so now I have a unicep and back closer to when it happened my friends accused me of constantly flexing my left arm.  I was told that even if they'd been able to re-attach it may not do much good.  Is a distal repair more usable?

I've been told it will be back to 100%.  I did have the option of letting it go, but decided to fix it since they said it would most likely be good as new.  I do admit I thought the procedure would be pretty simple, but there is a pretty long scar and rehab has been tough.  I hope to be back on the bike just in time for the August drought and 100 degree temps!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...