Jump to content
mack_turtle

Helmet pads, who needs them?

Recommended Posts

Is there some reason a helmet needs pads? They get funky and tear over time. Pads rarely out-last the useful life of a helmet (which is a lot longer than whatever marketing BS you've heard).

I removed mine, along with the velcro bits that hold them in place. I always wear a cap of some sort inside the helmet. Are there any potential safety risks with this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, just for comfort.

Since I started wearing one of those SPF rated sweat-transfer beanies under and my helmet pads have lasted a long time.  I used to regularly wash the pads and replace them 1-2x during the life of the helmet.   I hadn't thought about removing the velcro for the pads.  At this point, I don't feel like I need to even replace the pads so I'm not going to worry about it.  For my current helmet, I bought a spare set of pads and haven't even had to use that (I think going on 3 years old now).

Not sure what marketing BS you refer to as far as helmet replacement.  I replace mine about every 5 years or so.  The straps get super funky, the shell gets brittle and starts cracking.  Depending on where you keep your helmet, the foam can degrade significantly.  Ozone from ambient or high voltage devices definitely degrades plastics/rubbers.  NICA requires helmets be 2 years or newer which I think is overkill, but 5 years if you ride a lot, and/or keep your helmet in the garage or car is prudent IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some marketing BS that says you have to replace a helmet every two years because the foam breaks down because chemistry or something. It is a ruse to sell more helmets. No helmet lasts forever, but there's no reason other than a crash to replace a helmet that often. 

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mack_turtle said:

There's some marketing BS that says you have to replace a helmet every two years because the foam breaks down because chemistry or something. It is a ride to sell more helmets. No helmet lasts forever, but there's no reason other than a crash to replace a helmet that often. 

Yeah I think NICA has bought into this.  

I think someone like @Bamwa if he keeps his helmet where he welds may want to replace it often (or in thee same room as a laser printer that gets a lot of use for example).  But if you keep your helmet indoors 5 years is probably OK.  In the garage, it depends on level of aerosolized chemicals, ozone, heat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.meaforensic.com/when-should-i-replace-my-helmet/

https://www.meaforensic.com/bicycle-helmets-stand-the-test-of-time/

Sorry, atmospheric issues apparently do not affect modern bicycle helmets. It's a marketing BS ruse from Snell and the helmet manufacturers to get you to buy a new helmet.

That said, I replace mine every few years just to try something different and for peace of mind (and brain) in case I dropped my helmet or pinged it off a tree branch one too many times. It takes a significant single impact to truly damage a helmet.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

https://www.meaforensic.com/when-should-i-replace-my-helmet/

https://www.meaforensic.com/bicycle-helmets-stand-the-test-of-time/

Sorry, atmospheric issues apparently do not affect modern bicycle helmets. It's a marketing BS ruse from Snell and the helmet manufacturers to get you to buy a new helmet.

That said, I replace mine every few years just to try something different and for peace of mind (and brain) in case I dropped my helmet or pinged it off a tree branch one too many times. It takes a significant single impact to truly damage a helmet.

Interesting, I always replace after about 5 years thinking the helmet is degrading and becoming less safe, guess I am falling for the marketing. But it is fun to buy shiny new things!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

SPF rated sweat-transfer beanies

Can you post a link to these? I've been using the Headsweats beanies for several years and they seem to work OK. They are very thin though and may not be adequately protecting my very exposed scalp from the sun. They require quite a bit of wringing out as well during warmer rides.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That study really didn't delve into atmospheric issues. (full study is linked to in the 2nd link you gave above)

There is a caveat in the first link.  

Quote

Exposure to extreme heat or chemicals, like gasoline, ammonia and solvents, can also degrade a helmet. But aside from impact, heat or chemical damage, does a helmet need to be replaced just because it is old?

Is a garage or interior of a car in a Texas summer considered extreme heat?  Are aerosolized chemicals (including O3) considered here as well?

The data shows a fairly small std. dev. (20-25g) for all the helmets, but the extremes cover 150g for the 6m/s test.  That's huge.  It's a good study, but I'd love to see more variables controlled, such as where was helmet stored, how much was it actually used outside, etc.  

I still think for me, storing my helmet either indoors, or in my car with some ventilation is OK for 5 years.  When I can actually see the shell degrading at 5 years, I think it's time to replace it...and maybe a bit late.  I already take a penalty by having a huge noggin (large helmets have worse performance overall than smaller helmets).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem is finding a helmet that fits the shape of my head. Giro small helmets are pretty consistent. I have tried Bell, Fox, Kali, and a few others, and they all give me a headache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, throet said:

Can you post a link to these? I've been using the Headsweats beanies for several years and they seem to work OK. They are very thin though and may not be adequately protecting my very exposed scalp from the sun. They require quite a bit of wringing out as well during warmer rides.  

I can't find the original Sugoi ones I love.  I have the headsweats as well but they have the thick terry headband and I already have enough problems with my head fitting into most helmets. The headsweats do seem to keep me from getting sunburn spots.

I have one of these.  This one covers more of your head, but it fits a bit larger than the Sugoi does:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/deflect-uv-engineered-beanie/p/161992?color=250400-161992

Now Sugoi only makes one with a bill.  I haven't worn one of these but I may give them a try:

https://us-store.sugoi.com/collections/bike-accessories/products/u930030u-cycling-cap

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to just hand wash the pads until they wore out, then replaced. I got lazy this last time, and just threw the entire helmet in the washing machine.

 

I doubt the manufacturer would recommend that 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

My problem is finding a helmet that fits the shape of my head. Giro small helmets are pretty consistent. I have tried Bell, Fox, Kali, and a few others, and they all give me a headache.

Yeah, same here.  Used to be Specialized was the only one that worked for me, but they recently got rid of the larger size in their upper range MTB helmets.  My head is oval, so while the largest helmet from Bell I can get presses hard on my forehead, there's a ton of slack to take up on the sides with the ratchet. I'd love to find a more oval helmet...which may mean I don't have to go quite so big on the size.  I've tried all the ones you listed and also Scott.  I want to try POC and those ones with the cool organic-looking round openings you see in the pro tour.  My favorite helmet was my S-Works from 2010.  Removable visor, good rear coverage, excellent ventilation.  They don't make anything like that anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

My problem is finding a helmet that fits the shape of my head. Giro small helmets are pretty consistent. I have tried Bell, Fox, Kali, and a few others, and they all give me a headache.

I have this same issue. Will never buy a helmet (or shoes) online because of fit issues. I choose not to buy Giro, Bell or Camelbak for personal moral reasons, but if that fits your head, by all means go with that because fit is 99% of the reason to buy a helmet. Airflow is the other 1% but honestly most helmets have decent airflow these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yosmithy said:

I used to just hand wash the pads until they wore out, then replaced. I got lazy this last time, and just threw the entire helmet in the washing machine.

 

I doubt the manufacturer would recommend that 

Put the helmet in the sink, fill it with hot soapy water and put a brick or something else heavy on top of the helmet to keep it from floating. Come back in an hour, smells a lot better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

My problem is finding a helmet that fits the shape of my head. Giro small helmets are pretty consistent. I have tried Bell, Fox, Kali, and a few others, and they all give me a headache.

Giro (size Small)  is my go to.  Tried a Bontrager r**d helmet I found at REI and it was 95%  okay, but that last 5% where I couldn't get it to stop slipping down my forehead was the deal breaker.  Also, REI is not currently carrying Giro, so just asked Joe @ Monkey Wrench to order me a new Giro r**die helmet. 

Edited by June Bug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just email Giro today because I lost one of the screws that attached the visor to the helmet. They are sending a replacement plus some new "courtesy" pads.

Watch out, world. My moment is now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, throet said:

Haha Giro or Maytag? 

Well, if you see me on the trail wearing the Laundry Ball on my head, you'll know something didn't go right

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I think someone like @Bamwa if he keeps his helmet where he welds may want to replace it often (or in thee same room as a laser printer that gets a lot of use for example).  

My helmet lives safely at home in the hallway closet. It is not man enough to survive arc flash and burnt paint fumes like me. However when I let it out to play...it plays in moondust.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I have this same issue. Will never buy a helmet (or shoes) online because of fit issues. I choose not to buy Giro, Bell or Camelbak for personal moral reasons, but if that fits your head, by all means go with that because fit is 99% of the reason to buy a helmet. Airflow is the other 1% but honestly most helmets have decent airflow these days.

is that because giro is part of vista outdoor which sells guns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Put the helmet in the sink, fill it with hot soapy water and put a brick or something else heavy on top of the helmet to keep it from floating. Come back in an hour, smells a lot better.
I use the same method for washing my helmet.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 quote post="23890" timestamp="1573152006" name="crazyt" userid="69"] is that because giro is part of vista outdoor which sells guns?

 

 at the risk of being compared to someone who always posts links... here is a link.

Vista sold their gun component of their company.

 

 

 https://newsroom.rei.com/company-information/statements/update-rei-statement-on-relationship-with-vista-outdoor.htm

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...