IGNORED

Helmet recommendations

The helmet I'm currently using is a Bell Catalyst.  It's light and has good airflow.  It has MIPS built in and a sweat guide on the brow that directs sweat between your eyes, rather than into them (this mostly works, unless sweat levels are extreme).  Bell refers to this helmet as xc, as opposed to enduro.

Yes, I would recommend this helmet to a friend.

I have a Kali Lunati (I think that is the version).  It's my first Kali helmet and I like it alright.  I had Fox helmets before and I think they fit my noggin a little better.

Pros: Good coverage on the back.  Accessory rail on the top to very easily attach your light/camera.  Good adjustments.  Bug net.  Less than $100.

Cons: It isn't the best fitting helmet in the world but that could be my head.  Slides back a bit which worries me should I really need it in an "Oh shit" moment. 

Get the helmet that fits your head the best. To date, nothing but Giro helmets fit the shape of my head. I tried a few of the Bell, Kali, and TLD helmets that other people like and all of them fit awkwardly. That's because people who like those helmets have skulls that are shaped differently from my skull.

Asking for recommendations online is a pointless exercise. You need to go to a shop and strap some to your head until you find one that fits.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

I'm with Mack_Turtle on this one.  Exactly same experience and recommendations. 

I've used Giro for 15 years or so, because they are a consistently good fit for my head shape and very, very light:  three Xens, one Feather, and now a Hex (lightest yet). I wanted to go Giro MIPS on this last one, but the Giro MIPS helmets fit the tiniest bit lower so they are just at the tops of my ears and press down on the temples (the long piece that goes over your ears) of my glasses.  I wouldn't have known this had I not spent time trying on MIPS helmets from my favorite brand. 

Find the brand that feels "ahhhhh, just right" for your head shape, and go from there.  Could be a bazillipn dollar POC or Performance house brand.  You'll know.  Bell, Fox, Kali, POC, Smith, Performance, Giro and Monkey Wrench carries a brand I can't remember -- any others?

One more thing.  The adjustment mechanism.  I hate cold ears and wear a head band/beanie if it's below about 65, so my helmet has to be able to adjust wider for that.  Mr. JB wears a light skull cap to keep the sun at bay, so same deal. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

I agree with the recommendation to find the helmet that fits your head over anything recommended by others. However, I don't think closing the thread or any other 'request for recommendation' threads. I for one don't want to have to try EVERYTHING on the market to see what works for other and myself. In addition to differences in body shape, there are differences in riding styles, tastes and such. Take preferences for different tires. I like the Ardent and Nevegal tires. Others don't like them. I'm not going to try every different tire so I listen to what other people like and don't like.

I find that Bell and Fox helmets fit my head best. I have been using Fox Flux helmets for the last several year. I changed from the Bell helmets to get the better coverage on the lower back of my head. That said, I have Giro Montaro MIPS sitting on my desk. My wife bought it for me but I have not taken out of the box yet. We bought it after I tried on many many helmets.

I generally buy whatever I can get a good deal on, or in some cases just see something I like at my LBS. I've never had an issue with a helmet fitting properly, assuming of course that I buy the right size. I've had a couple of the Fox Flux helmets and like them a lot - very comfortable and competitively priced. After going head first into the ground a couple of times though I decided to try MIPS; so I got a TLD A1 really cheap and have been using that quite a bit. It does sit lower on my head, which as somebody else mentioned tends to push the earpiece of my goggles into my temples some. Seems I've just gotten used to that though. 

+1 on the trying.

I'd like to see head shapes and sizes for those posting reviews.

I hate my Bell MIPS.  I wear a 7 7/8 hat (if I wore hats).  It doesn't fit my head shape very well, I guess it's kind of oval, but I imagine I'd look like Bull Shannon from Night Court if I shaved my head.  It's also on the limit to maybe too-tight when wearing a beanie.  I have to wear a beanie all the time to block the sun (I hate sunscreen on my head and I don't like leopard sunburn spots in my scalp).

I loved my old Specialized S-works.  I want to get whatever equivalent they have now.  Why mess with what works?

+1 Different brands fit different heads. 

On a slightly different note, MIPS has been brought up a few times. I understand the claims behind it but has anyone experienced it yet? I tried some MIPS helmets on the other day at the peddler and they lost that nice secured feeling I was used to, which is... probably the point. Who's made the switch/upgrade, anyone crash with one yet?