IGNORED

Kids bike building

4fun

I know we have a dedicated parent bragging thread, but couldn’t find one dedicated to kids bike builds and know there are multiple guys on this forum who have build bikes for their kids in the past and some currently working on this.

I will go first. I’m building up a 24” hotrock for my 7 y.o. daughter and once it’s done will begin building up a 24” hotrock for my 6 y.o. Son (not in a hurry here, figure he will not grow out of his current bike for a year or two). I purchased a complete hotrock on Facebook marketplace for my daughter that works without issue but weighs 30lbs. I don’t want be a huge weight weenie because I’d like to keep the price under $1k. Figure 23-25lb range is doable in this price point. I’ve already purchased BOX carbon bars 700mm to cut down to 650mm/stem combo on close out at Velomine, I’m on a back order list for a 24” sr Suntour air fork,  Bought sr Suntour Auron 1x cranks at 152mm. Searched the ends of the earth for an affordable 24” disc wheelset and there is nothing to be had. Thought I’ll build some! 24” rims are hard to come by and the two I could find are pricey. Ended up ordering a wheelset off Ali express and keeping fingers crossed they are decent. Once I get the wheelset I’ll figure out remaining drive train. Other than that will need to decide on tires a brakes.

• Like 1

I did a similar thing for my 8yo son this past spring. Bought a Hotrock (with the rear disc tabs) on FB Marketplace for $100 and striped it down to the frame. I replaced everything except the seat post collar and the bolts for the water bottle cage. I also struggled with an affordable replacement wheelset and also ended up going with a Ali Express mystery wheelset. For the fork I shortened a Fox F100 RLC down to 60mm. Cockpit was a host of cheap Amazon parts and the drivetrain is SRAM GX 10sp with a Sunrace cassette. I'll attach the build list, but all in it came to around $800. I need to weigh it, but it feels pretty light...WAY less than what it was originally.

1100788613_2422HotrockBuildlist.thumb.png.ab5a079842c6f2ee6c77a942349e1e39.png

836717747_24_HotrockBefore.thumb.jpg.d2b17a7e1527da88be1f8374ec0cf463.jpg1144714112_24_HotrockAfter.thumb.jpg.9934a8d276d174716672d4556b432e10.jpg590533029_24_HotrockAfter_Fork.thumb.jpg.d3e3445f9e1ec91d556fbf8c7f0055d0.jpg1735875255_24_HotrockAfter_Drivetrain.thumb.jpg.e02afc7ca35ea4e42512cc381d750e5a.jpg1116573380_24_HotrockAfter_Brakes.thumb.jpg.c86baa2fba3d4a6f19492a6476f0b702.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

I did a similar thing for my 8yo son this past spring. Bought a Hotrock (with the rear disc tabs) on FB Marketplace for $100 and striped it down to the frame. I replaced everything except the seat post collar and the bolts for the water bottle cage. I also struggled with an affordable replacement wheelset and also ended up going with a Ali Express mystery wheelset. For the fork I shortened a Fox F100 RLC down to 60mm. Cockpit was a host of cheap Amazon parts and the drivetrain is SRAM GX 10sp with a Sunrace cassette. I'll attach the build list, but all in it came to around $800. I need to weigh it, but it feels pretty light...WAY less than what it was originally.

1100788613_2422HotrockBuildlist.thumb.png.ab5a079842c6f2ee6c77a942349e1e39.png

836717747_24_HotrockBefore.thumb.jpg.d2b17a7e1527da88be1f8374ec0cf463.jpg1144714112_24_HotrockAfter.thumb.jpg.9934a8d276d174716672d4556b432e10.jpg590533029_24_HotrockAfter_Fork.thumb.jpg.d3e3445f9e1ec91d556fbf8c7f0055d0.jpg1735875255_24_HotrockAfter_Drivetrain.thumb.jpg.e02afc7ca35ea4e42512cc381d750e5a.jpg1116573380_24_HotrockAfter_Brakes.thumb.jpg.c86baa2fba3d4a6f19492a6476f0b702.jpg

We’re you able to go tubeless?

Was thinking about seeing if I could cancel my 24” fork from sr Suntour and picking up a manitou markor 26” fork. The markor is 310 grams lighter. With the discount code I used on the sr Suntour it is $53 cheaper, but figure this fork can go to a 26” bike when she out grows the 24”. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I put my old Manitou R7 on my son's 26" Hardrock.  It allowed him to have front disk (his Hardrock frame was rim brake) and it made the geo more slack.  I also used old LX cranks from my old 26" bike.  He rode the heck out of that bike before he moved up.  We took >5lbs off just from fork, bars, and cranks.  BTW, the Hardrock was about the same weight as the Hotrock.  The Hotrocks are crazy heavy.  Those stock steel bars feel like the came off a moto.

I can’t believe how much weight I dropped just from the bars and stem swap on both my hotrocks. I also dropped 3lbs I think by swapping out the fork (and gained actual suspension performance).

I have the 24” wheels tubed. The rim is pretty low quality and I didn’t want to hassle with it. They’re so lightweight at this age that I can run pretty low pressures and they’ve never pinch flatted. The Vee tires I have on there are pretty burly too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 4fun said:

I know we have a dedicated parent bragging thread, but couldn’t find one dedicated to kids bike builds and know there are multiple guys on this forum who have build bikes for their kids in the past and some currently working on this.

I will go first. I’m building up a 24” hotrock for my 7 y.o. daughter and once it’s done will begin building up a 24” hotrock for my 6 y.o. Son (not in a hurry here, figure he will not grow out of his current bike for a year or two). I purchased a complete hotrock on Facebook marketplace for my daughter that works without issue but weighs 30lbs. I don’t want be a huge weight weenie because I’d like to keep the price under $1k. Figure 23-25lb range is doable in this price point. I’ve already purchased BOX carbon bars 700mm to cut down to 650mm/stem combo on close out at Velomine, I’m on a back order list for a 24” sr Suntour air fork,  Bought sr Suntour Auron 1x cranks at 152mm. Searched the ends of the earth for an affordable 24” disc wheelset and there is nothing to be had. Thought I’ll build some! 24” rims are hard to come by and the two I could find are pricey. Ended up ordering a wheelset off Ali express and keeping fingers crossed they are decent. Once I get the wheelset I’ll figure out remaining drive train. Other than that will need to decide on tires a brakes.

the goto is 24" stans crest rims. I built mine with circus monkey hubs, but you could use anything.  For fork, 26" forks often will have the same A2C. So I have an old rockshox sid on my kids bike.

I originally did a hotrock build for my daughter. Then my son inherited her bike. He was riding  more so I bought a trailcraft maxwell 24 frame and migrated all the parts over.

For the cranks I used bombshell crx 155 (?) cranks.

I am in the process of upgrading the bike I picked up for my son for Christmas.  Found a Trek Superfly 20 in his favorite color (green).   It will be a surprise, so work happening in the evenings after he goes to bed.  Didn't want to go to disk brakes for this size bike since it would just add weight.  That works out well as a last chance to use some old parts I have been holding onto from when I got into biking in the 90s.  Will have XTR V-brakes, and I am in the process of building up wheels with Chris King hubs.  

Will have to provide an update once it is done 

20201103_203226.jpg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

Is that a King hub mated to a 20" rim?  Nice!!  Paint the bike turquoise and call it a Yeti SB-20.

It’s funny you say this. I’m going to try my hand at the rattle can powder coat @RedRider3141 suggested, for the frame I have for my son’s build. He wants the same colors as my P7. I’m going to brand it his initials, and call it the J7!😁

• Like 1

I'm not much of a bike builder, more of an over qualified dept. store assembler. I did find a surprisingly quality kid seat that's available in multiple colors from Amazon. Not particularly light but lighter than the beat up one that came with the 24" Hotrock. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCTFB5L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_SxeYFbJ841J51?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

58 minutes ago, 4fun said:

Ludicrous

Given that it has a full carbon frame, fork, handlebar and wheels the price isn't ludicrous. That it is exists, however, is perhaps ludicrous. What advantage does such an arrangement introduce to a 2 year old over a very light alloy frame and wheels? 

26 minutes ago, Barry said:

Given that it has a full carbon frame, fork, handlebar and wheels the price isn't ludicrous. That it is exists, however, is perhaps ludicrous. What advantage does such an arrangement introduce to a 2 year old over a very light alloy frame and wheels? 

don't you love your children?

I will say I bought my 1st child an ez glider balance bike that was a little pricey, but came with a kit that bolted on a BB/crankset, chain and freewheel after they get the glide down and all 3 of my children were pedalling without training wheels before the age of 3! But by pricey I mean you could by 4-5 of them for the price of that specialized!

I could have picked up a used balance bike when I had my first kid, but I too wanted to have the fun of picking out something I new was cool.  I didn't go $1000 crazy, but always planned to keep it forever.  Makes a nice garage decoration, and maybe someday his kid will ride it.  

Supurb bikes from Germany made this one.  

20201203_161312.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/3/2020 at 4:17 PM, mtb_jeremy said:

I could have picked up a used balance bike when I had my first kid, but I too wanted to have the fun of picking out something I new was cool.  I didn't go $1000 crazy, but always planned to keep it forever.  Makes a nice garage decoration, and maybe someday his kid will ride it.  

Supurb bikes from Germany made this one.  

20201203_161312.jpg

OMG!  Love those tiny Big Apples!  That is definitely something that his kids could be learning to ride with....

-CJB

I took a 24” fully rigid trek Roscoe w/ 2.8” Vee’s, put an 26” air shock on it, changed tires to DHF 2.4.  Actually a pretty capable hard tail for a 9YO.

Broke the bash guard/chain keep so will drop the chain in real rough stuff, hopefully the Paul’s chain keeper I ordered 3 weeks ago will be here soon.

this has lasted my son about a year.  Hopefully it will hold together till April when his Commencal Clash Jr should arrive.

image.jpeg

• Like 4