Jump to content
4fun

Brushy Creek

Recommended Posts

Just now, First-Blood said:

You guys are so enduro

I'm quite the opposite!  I think the only time I ever rode down Sponge Bob was on a night ride (years ago, it was probably less scary then too?) following someone and not knowing it's there.  Something about it wigs me out.  I have ridden almost everything else in Deception including stuff that my brain knows it's worse but my sphincter doesn't.  I'm mostly about keeping the wheels firmly planted on the ground XC weenie but I do try to do a few drops and jumps here and there like that post and also the little kicker cheesegrater rock on the left side (E-W) not far from the post.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, I went OTB today... but in a way that I've never experienced in 32 years of MTB'ing. I did my usual up-shift-and-charge at Satellite for the drop, passing by the split cedar branch on the left thinking I was safely clear, but apparently, not quite. Something on my bike grabbed the end of it while I passed, and I felt like Wile E Coyote hitting a rubber band at speed, except instead of being flung back the direction I came, only the bike was; I continued in a forward trajectory. It's a shame there were no bystanders, because I'm sure it would have been a hoot to watch (seems like there're always people stopped these days, usually at the bottom of the drop LOL)

PSX_20210426_203435.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow glad you’re okay. I was just talking to @Cafeend today about how the trees continue to come down. I spent a couple hours on DD on Sunday trimming trees and still didn’t have it finished before the chainsaws battery died and 1/4 is the same way with branches that have lowered. Wild. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2021 at 12:34 PM, AntonioGG said:

I'm quite the opposite!  I think the only time I ever rode down Sponge Bob was on a night ride (years ago, it was probably less scary then too?) following someone and not knowing it's there.  Something about it wigs me out.  I have ridden almost everything else in Deception including stuff that my brain knows it's worse but my sphincter doesn't.  I'm mostly about keeping the wheels firmly planted on the ground XC weenie but I do try to do a few drops and jumps here and there like that post and also the little kicker cheesegrater rock on the left side (E-W) not far from the post.

If you just stick to the right side going down it literally can roll like a smooth concrete path if you find the line. Just don’t get too far right and hook your bar on the sapling on the right like I did once because then you get to eject down the hard way without your bike. Thought I broke my hand but didn’t. But that was one time out of the hundreds I’ve ridden it. Just try the right side, you’ll see a line for tire contact the whole way down. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Morealice said:

If you just stick to the right side going down it literally can roll like a smooth concrete path if you find the line. Just don’t get too far right and hook your bar on the sapling on the right like I did once because then you get to eject down the hard way without your bike. Thought I broke my hand but didn’t. But that was one time out of the hundreds I’ve ridden it. Just try the right side, you’ll see a line for tire contact the whole way down. 

Yeah that's the line I used Sunday; it's pretty easy and not nearly the puckering of just blasting off. Taking it easy moving forward after getting a plate put in on my broken clavicle back in October because I thought I was 20 again at the Walnut BMX park. I'm not 20 anymore evidently. 

I realized I like ice hockey better than mountain biking and broken bones from mountain biking keep me from playing hockey and that just isn't cool. So wheels on the ground from now on for me.

 

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, quixoft said:

Yeah that's the line I used Sunday; it's pretty easy and not nearly the puckering of just blasting off. Taking it easy moving forward after getting a plate put in on my broken clavicle back in October because I thought I was 20 again at the Walnut BMX park. I'm not 20 anymore evidently. 

I realized I like ice hockey better than mountain biking and broken bones from mountain biking keep me from playing hockey and that just isn't cool. So wheels on the ground from now on for me.

 

Yeah I mean... can I hit drops...yes... can I break myself doing it...yes... worth it... no

I get enough nervous excitement from a 2 or 3’ drop... no need to break my face and bike on those big ones. 
 

Respect for those who do it though. 

Edited by Morealice
Your mom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Morealice said:

Yeah I mean... can I hit drops...yes... can I break myself doing it...yes... worth it... no

I get enough nervous excitement from a 2 or 3’ drop... no need to break my face and bike on those big ones. 
 

Respect for those who do it though. 

I just started doing that drop using the far left line a month or so ago after @Morris showed me how easy it was. Took me a few tries before I could land it with enough composure to still clear the small ledge on the other side. That is a very rock-solid, off-camber landing area though, and I'm now wondering it hitting that a dozen or so times was a contributor to my fractured carbon rims.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, throet said:

I just started doing that drop using the far left line a month or so ago after @Morris showed me how easy it was. Took me a few tries before I could land it with enough composure to still clear the small ledge on the other side. That is a very rock-solid, off-camber landing area though, and I'm now wondering it hitting that a dozen or so times was a contributor to my fractured carbon rims.  

Yeah I mean I know it’s the least popular thing but smoothing out chunky trail is a skillset in its own right. 
Plus, I will never wear knee pads and stuff... maybe a little later in life. No shade at anyone that does, but it’s just not for me. I’ve accepted my place as an XC rider that hits a small table or drop here and there. I finally hit the drops on Line 1 at Snail Trail after a few years of looking at them, lol... they’re what...like 2’ tall. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Morealice said:

I’ve accepted my place as an XC rider that hits a small table or drop here and there. I finally hit the drops on Line 1 at Snail Trail after a few years of looking at them, lol... they’re what...like 2’ tall. 

That's me except for 1' drops is my limit right now.  Drops = CX dismount/mount practice if I'm not already super tired.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2021 at 9:29 PM, GreenMTBrider said:

Wow glad you’re okay. I was just talking to @Cafeend today about how the trees continue to come down. I spent a couple hours on DD on Sunday trimming trees and still didn’t have it finished before the chainsaws battery died and 1/4 is the same way with branches that have lowered. Wild. 

Yeah took me three hours today to clear Gnargasm, Blow White, Caddyshack, and the little spur trail across the creek by Champion Park to the point of having good flow. Crazy how the trees are still drooping this long after. My next trail for trimming will be Gumdrop I think. There is a tree that is very dangerously low on Gumdrop where me skyyhorn and gotdurt cleared not long ago. Guess a 3’ or so chunk will just have to be cut out of it. I’m short and it’s tough for even me to get under without a headbanger.
 

Seems like someone may have trimmed up Picnic. Thanks to whomever if that is the case. 

Edited by Morealice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gotdurt said:

Anyone know what the trail conditions are at Brushy? I feel like going for a ride...😏

Yesterday I had hopes of a ride Sunday afternoon....then I got at least 2 inches of rain today right along gumdrop and the hope is gone. 
 

I also remembered today how much I dislike dodging people on the regional trail, but it was better than no ride. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you know anyone that wants to make some extra cash this weekend? I need a couple of guys to help me move some furniture this weekend, 3-4 hours max. I'll pay $200 per person and provide the U-Haul truck. Message me if you know someone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Do you know anyone that wants to make some extra cash this weekend? I need a couple of guys to help me move some furniture this weekend, 3-4 hours max. I'll pay $200 per person and provide the U-Haul truck. Message me if you know someone. 

PM sent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter did little Bella’s tonight and my son and I rode PP and Picnic. Trails were in great shape, with lots of people out. Was surprised to see a lot of e-bikes. Besides the obvious motor and batteries they didn’t seem to be much different than the regular bikes that passed us. I don’t have a problem with them, but just can’t understand the appeal in a trail bike scenario. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 7:32 PM, Skyyhorn said:

Yesterday I had hopes of a ride Sunday afternoon....then I got at least 2 inches of rain today right along gumdrop and the hope is gone.

Yeah, that was tongue-in-cheek... but I did get out yesterday (Wednesday) morning, and Rim, DD, Picnic/PX and 1/4 were better than GTG, although the usual splashy spots were "extra splashy"...

48 minutes ago, 4fun said:

My daughter did little Bella’s tonight and my son and I rode PP and Picnic. Trails were in great shape, with lots of people out. Was surprised to see a lot of e-bikes. Besides the obvious motor and batteries they didn’t seem to be much different than the regular bikes that passed us. I don’t have a problem with them, but just can’t understand the appeal in a trail bike scenario. 

Just a few years ago, I didn't either... but lately, on the downhill-trajectory toward 50, it's starting to make lots more sense...

 

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a few years ago, I didn't either... but lately, on the downhill-trajectory toward 50, it's starting to make lots more sense...
 
In my mid 50's and it makes no sense to me, I enjoy the challenge of a good and hard ride and do not want an ebike to simplify it.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, 4fun said:

I don’t have a problem with them, but just can’t understand the appeal in a trail bike scenario. 

I was at Little Bellas too. I'm on a dark blue Orbea - come say hi. A buddy I rode with a few Little Bella's ago was on an e-bike recovering from an injury. Seems like a good use case. I intend to switch over to one too when I get old enough and need a little extra help pedaling. If it allows people to mountain bike for longer, I'm all for it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, natas1321 said:

In my mid 50's and it makes no sense to me, I enjoy the challenge of a good and hard ride and do not want an ebike to simplify it.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
 

Has nothing to do with simplification, but everything to do with just enjoying the ride again. Joint, tendon and asthma issues over the last couple of years have me to the point where my body can only handle one, sometimes 2 rides per week... and that's during a "good" period. My rides have become more about getting through it, rather than enjoying it... It would be really nice to be able to focus on enjoyment again, rather than "embracing the suck" and enduring pain. The ability to enjoy the climbs has long passed, and now I'm getting to the point where I'm so spent after the climbs, that I can't even enjoy the descents...

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, gotdurt said:

Has nothing to do with simplification, but everything to do with just enjoying the ride again. Joint, tendon and asthma issues over the last couple of years have me to the point where my body can only handle one, sometimes 2 rides per week... and that's during a "good" period. My rides have become more about getting through it, rather than enjoying it... It would be really nice to be able to focus on enjoyment again, rather than "embracing the suck" and enduring pain. The ability to enjoy the climbs has long passed, and now I'm getting to the point where I'm so spent after the climbs, that I can't even enjoy the descents...

You could lose an arm and some people would call you a po0sie if you needed any e-help..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TheX said:

You could lose an arm and some people would call you a po0sie if you needed any e-help..

Apples ≠ oranges, and a missing arm wouldn't benefit from an e-bike anyway, unless it's an e-arm trike.
I don't give a rat's arse what "some people" might call me. In fact, a small part of the appeal of an e-bike would be to trigger the twisted-panty types.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gotdurt said:

Apples ≠ oranges, and a missing arm wouldn't benefit from an e-bike anyway, unless it's an e-arm trike.
I don't give a rat's arse what "some people" might call me. In fact, a small part of the appeal of an e-bike would be to trigger the twisted-panty types.

It wasn't meant to be a direct correlation.  I said e-help. Point is, some people are going to talk shit about it and play the tough guy no matter what. My health challenges aren't a secret, and I'm 62 so I may be close to one already. I don't give a fuck if someone thinks I'm doing it to simplify things. People gonna people. We can start an e-bike trail gang!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...