Jump to content
4fun

Brushy Creek

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, trailrider77 said:

Are there plans to extend picnic x all the way to 183 and then to ymca? Seems like there is room
for more single track to be threaded along the creek.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other plans that were in flight but stalled for the time being until Wilco has time to review/discuss. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, trailrider77 said:

Are there plans to extend picnic x all the way to 183 and then to ymca? Seems like there is room
for more single track to be threaded along the creek.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We tried, it was off the table. Up to the current administration now. Wilco's default answer is always "No." Even adding Picnic XX to connect Picnic with Rim was a no-go. 

Edited by rugger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rugger said:

This is the best I can do...I'd need to blow up Double Down to label everything in there and without pics, it'd be kind of pointless I think. 

rsGyXEiNcQFbZ0ZVJHvMjqW6ZLPFFCqonEzaRMk0k8Z3KnpQFuXz8PCHsALzdC2PLOwKSe4lRSDB3eaOA1BbX2MCs-HptYITqb-uyejAg1KOMWGuFu6E54HTY3SQq62oBKltdsmbBLGEff7wytTqQ5TcW6M9mFlKxBGwD9mpDOimVdSQ-9G1f5zVoR37Aq4qBWPcSWpa8k9bhvQTSSLUAWG8k8rhqiltRVr0rxPFaxS8dCBBzFFKB6d4CvdWWRRjRBLaeYsHNp9UAgNxLQXpJPWMAS0zdS8W_sNzex6Aa4kpbVhihBhRPpUoiiE2Y2jfklwu1yy7YSvlYT3ojjrf56--uZqmnLcWTV0DJOnHg571RMgmPJ8gcJD8lDowZ8rLI8bLUYtMxJdzp-SkA6J-S9fTjlU-zQLQeQCpJiFWURklzTVYjLbcb3ZhxTibsE4G0kyRv4P1Z82YYvHhjkpqBEOQbLI2Bpw1E-iEywzpUMXja9qE65lFuxgAXyRudew3NVG9M701QWtzxtgxS585MjZieAT9X0MwKuiyuVXYNAoi92fGoASF8GprGSB95H_CIiwgoeyezBr1HMSf2ovWYNryruWXpI7amC4fEXBgLWS76vkxAxVRA4i-5EGQ7VqsnStQkNvoRojEECSlNSeSkcQRBfxq5rVIFtLZrqHslF3ktW2heNwCAErgh5wO24_sZRmb0m5uqXau84Qxa5LUGaz7=w1271-h868-no?authuser=0

Hey thanks, even a basic feature-name map would be cool and it looks like that's what you were posting but it's showing up with a circle with a minus sign in it.  Not sure why that is, but maybe a missing file attachment?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't the default way down SpongeBob just to huck it by staying right?  That's what I always do...don't remember going down the cheese grater to the left.  Definitely seems like more fun just to huck it...

Now, going up it, you have to take the cheese grater...it's one of the two things that sometimes prevents me from clearing 1/4.  But with the right speed and gear, getting up isn't that hard.  Just easy to get bounced and forced to dab.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, 2112Greg said:

Hey thanks, even a basic feature-name map would be cool and it looks like that's what you were posting but it's showing up with a circle with a minus sign in it.  Not sure why that is, but maybe a missing file attachment?

I see the image fine on my PC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 2112Greg said:

Isn't the default way down SpongeBob just to huck it by staying right?  That's what I always do...don't remember going down the cheese grater to the left.  Definitely seems like more fun just to huck it...

Now, going up it, you have to take the cheese grater...it's one of the two things that sometimes prevents me from clearing 1/4.  But with the right speed and gear, getting up isn't that hard.  Just easy to get bounced and forced to dab.  

I always just launch straight down the middle and go up the same way. I have used the cheater line up, exactly once. 

For me, the timing gets me, I tend to mash and bash vs being light and lifty. When I slow down and go lighter I tend to make it. 

Edited by rugger
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, rugger said:

For me, the timing gets me, I tend to mash and bash vs being light and lifty. When I slow down and go lighter I tend to make it. 

This is good info.

Does the bike length make a difference? I have a problem in features where my rear wheel hits a bump before my front wheel is over the big step.  This is one of several reason why I've worked at trying to get better at bunny hopping.  Between my college years and becoming an adult I forgot to bunny hop...something I never used to even think about how to do, I just did it.  Crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2021 at 3:41 PM, AntonioGG said:

I see why you compared it to Sponge Bob.  The top 3 or so feet are very much like SB, but the runout is better at Cru Jones.

BTW, watching kids do stuff does not give me confidence.  I get more confidence watching old XC weenies like me do stuff.  Even better is just following someone I trust.  That's how finally did basket drop (rolled it though).

Then come ride it with me, I'm an old guy. I drop that all the time and I am not a crazy rider. Stop listening to your brain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ronan, Greg and I(Bill) converted that fallen tree to a nice send/roll feature a couple weeks ago.  It’s pretty sweet.   Now working on a berm right after it to help out.  

That’s a cool new feature. I rolled it once and then sent it with speed and it’s fun!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got stung by something nasty this morning while coming around the 180 degree turn before crossing back over the creek at the end of PP loop. Didn’t get a good look at the aggressor/defender as it happened quick, but had to pull out a pretty large curved stinger! I’m about 2 hours post ride and it still burns as if it just happened. Not sure if there’s a nest around there but I didn’t disturb any vegetation so be careful out there.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2021 at 11:57 AM, 4fun said:

Got stung by something nasty this morning while coming around the 180 degree turn before crossing back over the creek at the end of PP loop. Didn’t get a good look at the aggressor/defender as it happened quick, but had to pull out a pretty large curved stinger! I’m about 2 hours post ride and it still burns as if it just happened. Not sure if there’s a nest around there but I didn’t disturb any vegetation so be careful out there.

Cicada killer maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Didn’t seem like we got a lot of rain last night, but trails are fairly wet this morning with lots of caking on tires. Hopefully with sun it’ll dry quickly. 

It poured quite hard in Round Rock last night for a bit, so not surprised the trails at Brushy are fairly wet this morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2021 at 9:42 PM, gotdurt said:

Don't over think it. Just do what you have to do to enjoy it, and if you don't enjoy it at all, then maybe spend your time at WC. If you walk 70% of it but still can't wait to get back for more, then that's all that matters. Obsessing about where you stand and "dab stats" will only zap the fun out of it.

Just don't do like some and modify the trail to meet your level..

This is really great advice for folks just getting into more technical riding. It took me a few solid years of riding 3-4 times per week at BC before I was able to conquer most of the features. My approach during the developmental phase was to go out with the primary objective of having fun and staying fit. Secondarily, I would focus on one or two features per ride that I thought I should be capable of tackling. Initially when I couldn't clear something the first try, I was trying 3-4 times and just getting frustrated. Eventually I adopted the approach of never trying a particular feature more than two times per ride. As my confidence grew and I started clearing more and more features each ride, I adopted the approach of never trying a particular feature more than once per ride, and if I failed, I would focus my next ride on making sure I attacked those same features that tripped me up the last ride.      

Speaking of BC features, there is one that I love that gets little attention or discussion on this thread. It is the alternate drop when coming E-W on Picnic at the point where you would otherwise turn left towards PicnicX. It's a steep, rockface that requires some finesse braking and cornering, without which you'd be slamming into the adjacent rockface. You also need to maintain enough momentum to get you up the incline at the other end of the horseshoe. Not sure if it has a name, but it's a great feature.      

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, throet said:

This is really great advice for folks just getting into more technical riding. It took me a few solid years of riding 3-4 times per week at BC before I was able to conquer most of the features. My approach during the developmental phase was to go out with the primary objective of having fun and staying fit. Secondarily, I would focus on one or two features per ride that I thought I should be capable of tackling. Initially when I couldn't clear something the first try, I was trying 3-4 times and just getting frustrated. Eventually I adopted the approach of never trying a particular feature more than two times per ride. As my confidence grew and I started clearing more and more features each ride, I adopted the approach of never trying a particular feature more than once per ride, and if I failed, I would focus my next ride on making sure I attacked those same features that tripped me up the last ride.      

Speaking of BC features, there is one that I love that gets little attention or discussion on this thread. It is the alternate drop when coming E-W on Picnic at the point where you would otherwise turn left towards PicnicX. It's a steep, rockface that requires some finesse braking and cornering, without which you'd be slamming into the adjacent rockface. You also need to maintain enough momentum to get you up the incline at the other end of the horseshoe. Not sure if it has a name, but it's a great feature.      

 

The feature on picnic you are discussing is Ravine Drop.  I still haven't done that one.   It scares the crap out of me.   I've seen it done, but man that thing is intimidating to look at.  Even if I roll down, I got to refocus to make the hard left and then carry momentum to get out.  That's a lot of things that have to go right 🙂

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, horncpa said:

The feature on picnic you are discussing is Ravine Drop.  I still haven't done that one.   It scares the crap out of me.   I've seen it done, but man that thing is intimidating to look at.  Even if I roll down, I got to refocus to make the hard left and then carry momentum to get out.  That's a lot of things that have to go right 🙂

 

Full send it Bill! I believe in you! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, horncpa said:

The feature on picnic you are discussing is Ravine Drop.  I still haven't done that one.   It scares the crap out of me.   I've seen it done, but man that thing is intimidating to look at.  Even if I roll down, I got to refocus to make the hard left and then carry momentum to get out.  That's a lot of things that have to go right 🙂

 

Haha yeah! When I first started doing it, I just focused on the drop and being able to stop before slamming into the wall on the other side. It took me quite a few tries before I could tie it all together and get back out the exit without stopping. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ravine Drop is super easy to just roll as well as drop. The day Josh and I cut it. Mar 2013, almost a year to the date from when Mike and I started building Deception. Interestingly, the guys (I think Jesse and Chad) flagged this without me...it was actually flagged to turn BEFORE the ravine. I came out and F this, we USE the ravine and so Josh and I cut it...that cedar in the ravine was a major obstacles. 

 

uy2oy7_UQlRCKvXTEIm9CpdI1tr1QXvS4eu-16npINDpGJOaxA-hQJJxA1CqWWnEqrksQQS0YdCIQ_jETWbzh4UbCLsJV6IvECO9JBXbCNJsopMWSZKvlgvCtPchud9yP9ihsRyGot9p-OFZr6O-4ZHy_6vB8XJJg4p1s_lL-Z0VPirUfWsqHnOh_fbsMIkLBBTf93-_jFt0oYHW9-4i4eri9304nDCCvLz_Qzj1YwmOLD1kT3Luymj51T7iYZuvDjLH00EEyzqgWf1dFU5xeEc56uoVJEuRRZCREhElMeWYngAbV2dCmOnpZ26xiujkSlMsNvE07zaKPYM_mq1wvIITFVMEmA_u7UCjgNrmmI_y5chqzGRJssYGMPtn-a2VEXAW5vlku2BSCua7HNwygrl3Ge8UfBStgPEuN8IT7cevTmF4h_rdD02Q_s9Xc9IZXGS-NuvSFtpACrloXJjrZR_7wtf5ztDakhhDjyUg7SzW99vg9IEtfd4x74fs7oMpAmWOKohjj70iAzv-hm_MvRFBvPLIRrDH8W-bRKUMtn5Lp4cKAnB7u8dpBL9i5TveiorxuxPJMqPznxlQ_iG2echI3kzskpLRPYQxMzOe-GD48H3x7ZyZbXtWOpgBMeJgKHr0HeyTWrSP-nSYkNWG018251b4JXHzhnsn0mlfllvOmjnGIXfCXZBQ1TpfgP1qQpDpG15g4gTtFKRZhDrscQXl=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

v9CJMHYJ_PebUluIbnFvyDAakja9h6T62RvXdphCDCptrsU4DPk8mrmGb1QdCBGeiSRwRPu1M5k9ldNjbmZ3zgOFJBV77uV36lm4F0XKXJwc2vitFwN_5bSt0dUaBGTSdpPTgMPvr_6O6Q2ZiPf_IbtnjXfQh3ELfjfr8mm-QD0VqpYcOvQAQjSxRCZgJxqdP0iV0hx6sy8rRSSl6dVRLKgQ_xYfO4b1Nb49iBG-ZLmNno0pICltae8k2-lz54THfbzJWUevEm4PBOqRNhqaqXI-2Pe5ii05nVvthSD-uXKG7D9zSFbPQynzn8bHSdpRmvFol7RLfK1saBiHUi-kJL6suWwhl23poxqABaI9Y2HhWBnrf4nVx9pD4cXORarmwxANllYXZAQMhn_nBvC89u11bdacCXDM8XTRF4uMYgAsTUEMECG5I784XfeGU94RuI5tR3v6gylilkhBiP8deexbKf0gnnAd9gkGmP3Njy16wAtgUSL-PvzJbddMsnAh1HkjAtRLyVb0AuSlOAT3JvGEhFw38w6DJ73pWPU1qkUPwnEbEd2UE3aLBR-nVIvgRRL8I7BEVMNg8DXOBKyaqlJgq_j8-2L3MqJAr_Ynb8F1dsqcLiGZyRiVbxd6rgcbP4IJ5zE9i4sii0oxdmqfQwkpSf7GHAJDx7MK6F40H51wJjtKdW5DimjIRQHbxO-UYUOFH2yvO1GQMlFkX-ho66Nc=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

dHIChBR7IdK5ZZNRPkVnPDJfUzvEPfyl9ThrDOvfEebPAbPMMz1opC3t-cOzzZS2OxIosjzjPbvdrfgRwdmhGYtUd0vFFxXtvHvGHr_hEJRKg002TuurVNVvArur9tstTq_jFYxZuqydm_vOAfDkUWKsIg0eM6CODY7BfSRDfOrih4lSN5O6_IPoNAtlpUm9cwLqrBSLXDNGcmV9iEnvJjvN0w7ruhG3gFmsGRBC6uBAkk-kT3VqJHR8SUgUaTJZTNx8DksKq3eaUhdUXgMQ04nWIT2z8w7wdL5G-P1-wrlFcJ0B1CLY2AFbyrgU4JfBUv3cQjBp_LcCxSh7xhBS17d-VdyV6s1ZsU41aq2tURn7JlMp6-XsxQGXlfoJe8Ep7JGZtr2SPfcmAw5JczUQiim_8ZMf-nJBKU6qIGowqCZXXVsZJzVklBLXIn2ZV6dbaAqQkefrSdA14nM0zNrOIXmkdYVpMVcaalol-RfoSSpdl5iG_PwyWmaF0l49nsLmrfs8zfbAHUqbcrijCsMvCZB4YldkaTRj-CQTrXS2tMRGm2iFJgHmY2DtjBLRg9wIr_xkh2aBrCerNDt6pfOjglQhe64lm2LeN41HlMAsAqyqLJHX2LdvywXxwkmrLWlOuwhbtjUAikJGGrGcKegc7p-aHVQQgAqzmP1RUa49DvtRmbIoO_liHezdRIZ1YlMvXHg9wXTBx_lTmW1O1I7yyl2s=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

A7YLZ8crux2UqfnWelinwJEdc5EAFE7kjIReRqp_7VjaUAohLLk1OUh84x1-ji35H9WK1Pzd_pYEEePwapFOzOclD0rS9_5Mb44uvf1y-mOHnsml9dmqrfsNVd5Waw9Rd8dBoTwr85dU923qgicAgX6FwjIxhtbaHlrISw1zv235vpMVWfsi2b69gOHGPw4nNEofoISg7pQMgS6t8FQmvMfPrsPN1NW9_0olScqt8xaSeepmUXNdgBu3NWIFsthtW56rRBArzRPPhxpOb5K4NziGmk6Lh2_yFKrUnrctBp68dd03uMnR2_vjASAyEdSQkISIVYwIk3Uvsfd4GonQ60eSY0KY8A5wt5CTMJpe-Ks1h8nbq7xXhzSjzWz34Z37hQ7Zn51UhAaeSCTCOVhfrSxYOB0MUDLaVKHfJ_K3E6nxitIMrPY3ZYLySM1t8jNVd8y8z6oDkalP7yj2PUSHZFNLKu0q010BQSgRbUCeJQeP_gGE35EFWSR0Ql_AZIBaEjFOsMRPHPfO3a6S5r0oBHEyANXizTn2HDHxkkFfpO_-NSpmfYeMqEP_bsvc1X7wlfMrc3yZp35KLqqElvNRwTuTwfY66KSFEX2K-YrSsZhQo9njfONAySqcmomTOG8qotphK1yjV9n1XjjWjiqbmHflkv0aPfZUFOxtA1uS2Ktq2E20YDwsI0LryJ-eguNKHTV3z2gbmHJ5rEps6MEV56fh=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

I hate people...they stole Big Bones and Little Bones 😞

KGoZEy3Nr3mZJomrihQ5ucOyK-uljUsgjKnEUMIHW8l0esL6nWlFwTe0LVjqv-Y59hIJoJseZcNK8fJT7hC8VJeVpo-6FXW9kLP8b3xfuf2Ziax99ipTdhalMSWaiY8sKs2i-7EJJ2JKE2ib25ItXs5hGoBB6gWSdHx_X86fp2ted6WFm7lxPLpqQmzbkOn4CzfPf9vp33Zy8NTIv9DVzJ2qZtgqcnF-q3GGD4n7qgJYgB8JCp_9dYd06xK3HvJgGBgdKIXQa9gUruln1AypzOMa9BtZEeUQumWniT13a69Xlvn9JbTN3PkODE_wk4I0Ex5ggKMikzL2uQ2xztG8C_kM8rNLKpJUNOrjeMcxQtxZrIdZHD2Pmtxpr1Jlq1VqwhpgrGuz2zpozdJr6dbVPCOjhPe23up6LFCsVD98YLYnd9xm_HtnlVt6lDY06UBxnNNzmR64mVqciUlyILDvZqlSUL-qk1eQ1tmNbTQqoctaRNFrpWtcVdlsoeQzemGb6xQv7pwcvOI1Io6AgqhOB2bh4WPWXpHGqRJUa8uybaY7VERgH3B8wcFRTcpSf1U1I88sRtRrXaWW1grZDWEPVlLR4tUBTwU6cW9CT9GvYshoyBUmtCAx8y9WPczpIFei97V4yuFfxV7PN0UqCO5c31oTZQp_wR9Pm-ydgoP_4d13I-oYDgRyn_ul9blvHiDr8mcxJN7JVDDj-Ld5-hz3yvuY=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

170oHH5DS7FzUoHhIFGkZBc9N4jVr6dF6UgWX5yvUnSdN6DaSaUA9b5WD38TxXb6DUbMqhoYLggNxmbLlpXzImGwP_EVMLFwRbXcYTqdEAhHxECOcaJPirbvr-LRFYiHxXFTolox9OBBARprMt-mwwb82AhjGIKRkF0bl52CNNjgeK1C3pvw_OI_pgFykx9l__T9Nu1MDq2eSA3-CRl1j8o-acAobxEtLCBLirAsHeS_cMRTTT1KdMoiq6aaqbkbgOe7cLRwJ6-AQQlqillfATnujYYvwiDMLWa3PNIOn07VfnBySwPOKm4fPxJKQ9bFve3IP-hBw3AkN-JKNkM0rnKt2V7JzYebFsWTWzLGaNPDTcn6slbXYqnHmV2nr4bVRe9bZPimn9rmUtImc2QmLwISH0BrT9T7BOfYS8KuQ3QuojlZSyuTN3x83-bQvXJT9n-dyhip0ALK8YmUmk0tR5Thb_Z7VpRmSClV-8Z4SyTLI__ldZnuMjbhLmo1LByyx-NpknKpDx6OxzLZDU6Lq6hVxZ0F5aJFSs2t3cdvuDqu1sjHX0WrdMykluedh1XUN40A_5-UPlhvnIOl_8K6RVzLNgK__15RztnJKVtybK3ojC9uKXnr1gGMzhdHwSL6wEVrjMf497STje2Bvoksatb4ag3DAOBgdMN7p7SB5NKqaeTOaDI1LlJRJmrm-2fllDHOFoKM2zvr2MkqmW4IRe5m=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got out this morning about 7:30 thinking I was going to have a glorious 2 hours on the bike, but then realized after already finishing Picnic and half of 1/4 Notch that I left my water bottle sitting in the garage. Short ride, but still beat the hell out of 30 min on the elliptical. With the cool early morning temps, I'll definitely be back out there over the weekend. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Shinerider said:

Looks like our newest park in Wilco is under construction (Lakeline Park).  That means, the Redline trail from Cypress creek road around the south side of Muir lake to the apartment complex is now destroyed and dotted with siltfences.  Sucks, but nice to see the park moving forward.  I know this is somewhat late, but just realize you can't connect them anymore.  You MIGHT be able to stay on doubletrack on the north side of the lake and cross the dam to achieve the same thing.  Funny that the southside concrete trail will pretty much mimic our original singletrak

https://www.cedarparktexas.gov/departments/engineering-and-capital-projects/city-project-updates/lakeline-park

Oh, and look at the special projects tied to that and Brushy Creek Trail:

Awesome stuff - we will have more connected H&B trail!

Barry - imagine your epic northy enchilada, but no roads!

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...