IGNORED

New bike: What travel do you use for Austin trails?

3 hours ago, DBehrens said:

So many things in these last 5 or 6 comments hit way too close to home.  I am knocking on the door of 50, which is just a few months away.  My core and glutes are an issue but getting better, but my back issues are caused by overly tight hamstrings and quads which pull the pelvis out of alignment with lower spine and strain the muscles in my lower back.  I have been fighting this issue since EB 2012 when I was training on a geared bike, although I had completed in 2010 on an SS.  Just have to make myself not be a lazy bastard on the Izzo and ride it like my other bikes, which are full rigid Niner and Stache HT single speeds.

I can definitely relate. I'll be 62 in a couple of weeks and have had low-back issues since my early forties. The biggest thing for me was giving up racquetball and squash, which involve a lot of simultaneous bending and twisting. Ever since I ruptured a disc in 2012, I've adhered to the core strengthening and stretching regiments that I picked up in PT. Shit has gotten a lot tougher for me though since last year when I ruptured my conjoined hamstring tendon. Had that surgically repaired but now I'm suffering from arthritis in my hip, which I assume could be related to that injury. To your point, keeping the hammies, glutes, hip flexors and core all working harmoniously is a big key I think. One of the things that helps me a lot is riding out of the saddle for as long as possible on my rides. Also, I'm really ready to go back to my office where I have a stand-up desk. I had made a habit of standing for at least half of my work day, but since the pandemic with working at home, I'm sitting way too many hours each day, which I believe weakens the glutes and hip flexors.   

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Santa Cruz has a great warranty. For biking in Austin that is always a plug, our trails chew up bikes. 

I keep trying and failing to take advantage of their wheels unlimited  warranty. I just can't break them! 

...yet!

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, throet said:

That's a really nice looking bike and the numbers look great. Which color did you order?  

I got the Blue comp Eagle (NX) build  with the DVO Diamond D1 fork and Topaz T3 shock. I plan on swapping out the NX drivetrain for a GX with carbon cranks. I have a decent wheelset already so I will likely sell the WTBs that come with it... a little over 4K and I should have all the bike I need for years to come. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cafeend said:

GTK.. i need to check but if I recall a large too big.
He is just selling the frame and fork?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have a RockShox Pike (currently spaced for 130 or so, can go longer), 100mm, 15mm thru axle. I was planning to sell it but have not researched what it is worth yet. If you are interested, let me know.

16 hours ago, throet said:

I can definitely relate. I'll be 62 in a couple of weeks and have had low-back issues since my early forties. The biggest thing for me was giving up racquetball and squash, which involve a lot of simultaneous bending and twisting. Ever since I ruptured a disc in 2012, I've adhered to the core strengthening and stretching regiments that I picked up in PT. Shit has gotten a lot tougher for me though since last year when I ruptured my conjoined hamstring tendon. Had that surgically repaired but now I'm suffering from arthritis in my hip, which I assume could be related to that injury. To your point, keeping the hammies, glutes, hip flexors and core all working harmoniously is a big key I think. One of the things that helps me a lot is riding out of the saddle for as long as possible on my rides. Also, I'm really ready to go back to my office where I have a stand-up desk. I had made a habit of standing for at least half of my work day, but since the pandemic with working at home, I'm sitting way too many hours each day, which I believe weakens the glutes and hip flexors.   

The arthritis was there the whole time. That's probably why your tendon separated from the bone cleanly. The tendon was stronger than the bone. The arthritis in your hip is most likely from playing racquetball. If it's one side more than the other you probably had an injury on that side. My wife has severe arthritis in her knees and hips so I've learned a bit about it. Overuse and injuries are typically the cause of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis is systemic. The only thing you can do is keep moving. Don't worry you're not alone, my wife's doctor said that everyone will get arthritis if they live long enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief said:

The arthritis was there the whole time. That's probably why your tendon separated from the bone cleanly. The tendon was stronger than the bone. The arthritis in your hip is most likely from playing racquetball. If it's one side more than the other you probably had an injury on that side. My wife has severe arthritis in her knees and hips so I've learned a bit about it. Overuse and injuries are typically the cause of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis is systemic. The only thing you can do is keep moving. Don't worry you're not alone, my wife's doctor said that everyone will get arthritis if they live long enough. 

I have issues with my fingers after 50 years of playing classical guitar, started as a kid (parents both played, not given an option).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheX said:

I have issues with my fingers after 50 years of playing classical guitar, started as a kid (parents both played, not given an option).

Fingers from working with my hands for the last 40 years also left hip and left shoulder. Getting old sucks!

Edited by Chief
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, throet said:

Sorry for contributing to the detour on this thread. Seriously though, let's get back to bikes built for CenTex riding. Based on my spreadsheet and the reviews I've looked at, this should be my next bike. 

image.thumb.png.141590fa9a46c8933a5bed8c4d39804e.png

I have yet to see someone who has one of these complain that they made a bad purchase. Hoss has one. He did the Leadville 100 so he is a good gauge for me on a bike that can endure. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

@Thoet...you're not wrong (except for my own personal bias against press fit BBs).

Revel Bikes came out with their "Brunch Ride" edition of their Ranger (130f/115r) and it looks pretty awesome for Austin riding as well. Definitely in the "down country" realm of bikes.

20200924-DSC_701002.jpg?resize=1920,1080

Revel makes some nice stuff. The rascal is a perfect bike for most and I'll also throw in for the transition spur. Either is a killer CTX rig!

Pivot T429 is a no-go for me since no frame only option.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, throet said:

Sorry for contributing to the detour on this thread. Seriously though, let's get back to bikes built for CenTex riding. Based on my spreadsheet and the reviews I've looked at, this should be my next bike. 

image.thumb.png.141590fa9a46c8933a5bed8c4d39804e.png

This was number 2 on my list. Just couldn't pass on the $$ saving with the YT Jeffsy (140mm front/rear)