IGNORED

Strangest COVID-19 stuff you have witnessed

GFisher

5 minutes ago, JMR said:

I've had no symptoms for months. I work with people that live from Austin to Killeen. None of us wear masks. Went to a wedding last weekend with people from all over. Still don't have a virus. I'm sorry you're so scared. I didn't even cuss at you or call you names.

By that logic, I'm immune to lightning strikes. I haven't been struck yet. I was even out in an open field duing a lighning storm just the other day. 

It's not about living in fear. It's about having the common sense to come out of the rain. 

Edited by notyal

3 hours ago, quixoft said:

Pretty much what I'm hearing as well. Most Americans(at least the people in my circle) don't like government telling us what we can and can't do. It might look like the most common sense law to pass to require masks but many people are of the belief that "if you give them an inch, they take a mile" when it comes to the government trying to "protect" us. 

But we've lost LOTS of those liberty fights already. I was highly opposed to the seat belt mandate for your stated reasons. And the only person that LAW helps is the individual. It doesn't insure others safety. 

But requiring masks helps everyone's health. I'm good giving up some liberty for that. At least until a month or so after the infections, hospitalization, and deaths, flattens out. 

But open everything up. You want to go to a football game in the fall? Wear a required mask. Very small price to pay. But people are still going to get sick. Until they don't. The Spanish Flu just went away. No cure, no vaccine, it just stopped. 

• Like 4

When did America get a prime minister? 
If we're gonna bring European countries into this discussion, it's just going to make the US and it's handling this pandemic look even worse.
Is that possible?

Yet another post that shows you have no idea what is going on. I’m sorry that you are incapable of forming a single valid argument.

Don’t bother responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, notyal said:

By that logic, I'm immune to lightning strikes. I haven't been struck yet. I was even out in an open field duing a lighning storm just the other day. 

It's not about living in fear. It's about having the common sense to come out of the rain. 

I get what you're saying. To me, it's about people trying to shame someone into doing something they don't feel is necessary.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

Yet another post that shows you have no idea what is going on. I’m sorry that you are incapable of forming a single valid argument.

Don’t bother responding.

I think I'll respond,  Karen . 

I'll also call you out every time you make some dogshit strawman argument.

All you

Edited by ATXZJ

23 minutes ago, JMR said:

I get what you're saying. To me, it's about people trying to shame someone into doing something they don't feel is necessary.

your perception is incorrect. it's not about that. objective reality is that it's about slowing down the spread to other people. adjust your perspective to reflect that fact and it will all make sense. otherwise, you can believe whatever you want so long as it does not affect other people.  it does not affect other people if and only if you stay in your own house from a few months ago until whenever this is over.

you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Edited by mack_turtle

I think part of the problem with all of this is the numbers game and how different people perceive the gravity of the situation. It's entirely possible that when this is all said and done, 1 in every 1000 people in the US will have died from COVID-19. Maybe that's a worst case scenario or maybe we're well on our way to it - who knows at this point. Likewise we're not getting good data yet on how how many of those dying would have likely died anyway in the relative near term from other co-morbidities. In any case, even 1 in a 1000 seems like pretty good odds until you or a loved one or even a neighbor are "the 1".

Anybody else have to read the short story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson in school? It was a haunting scenario to me at the time, and in a way that's what we're living now. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

your perception is incorrect. it's not about that. objective reality is that it's about slowing down the spread to other people. adjust your perspective to reflect that fact and it will all make sense. otherwise, you can believe whatever you want so long as it does not affect other people.  it does not affect other people if and only if you stay in your own house from a few months ago until whenever this is over.

you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

What if I never get it? What if you never get it? Why should we waste away hiding at home?

I think I'll respond,  Karen . 
I'll also call you out every time you make some dogshit strawman argument.
All you

My post was sarcastic because anything you post is completely ignorant.

How embarrassing for you:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/04/07/these-34-us-lawmakers-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19/amp/

You also post no evidence of what europe has done better than what we have done vs other.

Please provide evidence. I’ll wait.

16 minutes ago, JMR said:

What if I never get it? What if you never get it? Why should we waste away hiding at home?

What if  neither get of us it, but going out in public without a mask, gleefully being "free" to breath floating death on everyone around us results in more death for other people and their families, friend, and communities?  statistically, that's exactly what happens. the alternative is that I limit my exposure to others and their exposure to me by wearing a simple mask and not going out unnecessarily, which is not much to ask for a functioning adult person.

how many times do I need to say: "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOUR HEALTH, IT'S ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE'S HEALTH"?

how selfish does one have to be to think their freedom to pee in a public pool trumps everyone else's freedom to swim in urine-free pool water?

this is not about fear. it's about expanding the range of moral concern beyond yourself and taking care for others. aka not being a giant dickhead. if you can't understand that, you're incredibly dense, or you're a sociopath.

Edited by mack_turtle

I don't think you read that whole article, because it only supports your perspective if you don't read past the headline. out of all the information that's come out of this thing, you found the one, single bit of incomplete information that almost validates your narrative. even though it doesn't, you seem to think it does, and that's all that matters in the age of post-truth factual relativism.

You also didn't read the WHO's clarification, probably because it contradicts your narrative. motivated reasoning is a powerful thing.

"The majority of transmission that we know about is that people who have symptoms transmit the virus to other people through infectious droplets -- but there are a subset of people who don't develop symptoms, and to truly understand how many people don't have symptoms, we don't actually have that answered yet," Van Kerkhove said.
"We do know that some people who are asymptomatic, or some people who don't have symptoms, can transmit the virus on," she said. "So what we need to better understand is how many of the people in the population don't have symptoms and separately how many of those individuals go on to transmit to others."
"What I was referring to yesterday in the press conference were very few studies -- some two or three studies that had been published that actually try to follow asymptomatic cases, so people who are infected, over time, and then look at all of their contacts and see how many additional people were infected," Van Kerkhove said.
"And that's a very small subset of studies. So I was responding to a question at the press conference. I wasn't stating a policy of WHO or anything like that," she said. "Because this is a major unknown, because there are so many unknowns around this, some modeling groups have tried to estimate what is the proportion of asymptomatic people that may transmit."
"There remains scientific uncertainty, but asymptomatic infection could be around 30% to 50% of cases," Smeeth said. "The best scientific studies to date suggest that up to half of cases became infected from asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic people."

Edited by mack_turtle

8 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I don't think you read that whole article, because it only supports your perspective if you don't read past the headline.

You also didn't read the WHO's clarification, probably because it contradicts your narrative. motivated reasoning is a powerful thing.

"The majority of transmission that we know about is that people who have symptoms transmit the virus to other people through infectious droplets -- but there are a subset of people who don't develop symptoms, and to truly understand how many people don't have symptoms, we don't actually have that answered yet," Van Kerkhove said.
"We do know that some people who are asymptomatic, or some people who don't have symptoms, can transmit the virus on," she said. "So what we need to better understand is how many of the people in the population don't have symptoms and separately how many of those individuals go on to transmit to others."
"What I was referring to yesterday in the press conference were very few studies -- some two or three studies that had been published that actually try to follow asymptomatic cases, so people who are infected, over time, and then look at all of their contacts and see how many additional people were infected," Van Kerkhove said.
"And that's a very small subset of studies. So I was responding to a question at the press conference. I wasn't stating a policy of WHO or anything like that," she said. "Because this is a major unknown, because there are so many unknowns around this, some modeling groups have tried to estimate what is the proportion of asymptomatic people that may transmit."

Right. And they're also saying things about presymptomatic vs. asymptomatic. I read the article. It's still pretty tough to really know what's going on based on headlines like this. Plus, a lot of the stuff within these articles is fluff. Sometimes quotes are taken out of context. Doesn't mean I'm a sociopath, an asshole, nor a dickhead.

Nor am I embarrassed.

Edited by JMR
Austinbike is late getting here

6 minutes ago, JMR said:

Doesn't mean I'm a sociopath, an asshole, nor a dickhead.

I don't know you and I am sure you're not any of those things. but your disregard for other's health in favor of not doing such a simple, humble thing sends a message to the contrary.

it's not hard to understand what's going on. you just have to read beyond the headlines, and not just the ones that absolve you of any responsibility.

the general consensus says that wearing a mask in public is one simple way that we can all help slow the spread of the virus so it does not overwhelm our systems. we've already failed that so badly as a nation that it's tragic and embarrassing.  if your input in this discussion is any indication, it's most likely attitudes and behavior like yours that have made our numbers balloon to catastrophic proportions.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy lifted the state’s stay-at-home order Tuesday afternoon, allowing indoor gatherings of up to 50 and outdoor gatherings of up to 100.

Murphy said he anticipates being able to raise the limit on outdoor gatherings not related to protests or religious services to 250 people on June 22 and 500 people on July 3, which would allow for graduations to resume the following week. He said that pools would be allowed to open June 22, as well as most outdoor recreation and entertainment businesses.

Let's look at this from the perspective of 6 months or 6 years in the future. 

When people look back on this insane time they are going to know a LOT more than we know now.  They will be able to say if wearing a mask helped the situation or if it made no difference.  In no possible scenario will they say that wearing a mask resulted in MORE deaths or an extension of this pandemic.  I completely understand that the world doesn't know everything we need to know about how to end this pandemic.  However, I don't want to be sitting around in 6 months or 6 years (or be dead or without family/friends because of this) and look back and say "All I had to do was wear a mask and it would have helped but I opted to exercise my rights to do whatever the hell I wanted and I was part of the problem."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

your disregard for other's health in favor of not doing such a simple, humble thing sends a message to the contrary.

People are unselfish up to the point to where they are not. Everyone's point of selfishness is different.

We all have probably spent quite a bit of our disposable income on bikes because it's something we enjoy. However, how much good could we have done by instead spending that money to feed folks who are starving? Do you really need a bike to play around on trails while others right here in America are starving and homeless? Are we disregarding other's basic survival needs for our own pleasure? Or in this case do we just say well it's not our job to feed them, they should take responsibility for themselves.

Life is never black and white. Shaming people and calling them names never makes anything change for the better. Never.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

reducto ad absurdum.

being too selfish to wear a mask in public is a pretty low bar. no one is being asked to give all their money to the poor or grovel on hands and knees to appease the emperor. it's just a mask. it's embarrassing to me that people can't comply with such a simple thing out of kindness to others.

1178752122_welseymask.jpg.22e509a7b03a155b8718cb6b4ca65a82.jpg

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

Just now, mack_turtle said:

being too selfish to wear a mask in public is a pretty low bar. no one is being asked to give all their money to the poor or grovel on hands and knees to appease the emperor. it's just a mask. it's embarrassing to me that people can't comply with such a simple thing out of kindness to others.

1178752122_welseymask.jpg.22e509a7b03a155b8718cb6b4ca65a82.jpg

1st of all, great movie. 

2nd, I agree with you but I'm also realistic and know that a whole lot of people just don't give a shit so I'm not going to worry or get upset about it.

9 minutes ago, quixoft said:

1st of all, great movie. 

2nd, I agree with you but I'm also realistic and know that a whole lot of people just don't give a shit so I'm not going to worry or get upset about it.

"a whole lot of people just don't give a shit" has resulted in 113,000 deaths in the US alone, in addition to a cataclysmic economic downturn and all that comes with it. there would have been deaths regardless, but the catastrophic level of death could have been avoided if Americans didn't behave like toddlers when given simple instructions for their own safety. other places in the world have managed to keep this (relatively) under control. why can't Americans?

Edited by mack_turtle

1 hour ago, FJsnoozer said:

My post was sarcastic because anything you post is completely ignorant.

How embarrassing for you:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/04/07/these-34-us-lawmakers-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19/amp/

You also post no evidence of what europe has done better than what we have done vs other.

Please provide evidence. I’ll wait.

How condescending of you Karen. Also you missed the mark and your "sarcastic" post is something similar to what my teenager would write. How old are you now?

Nobody on this forum believes for one second that politicians are immune or impervious to Covid 19. You actually thought that was my point? To lube this a bit for you, my point was most, if not all of them have GUARANTEED FREE healthcare that the rest of us pleebs do not. So someone with access to good healthcare will have a better outcome than someone without. You know, like the millions of people laid off who's insurance was attached to their jobs? We won't even get into socioeconomic issues and how that determines outcomes.

Since you've been so patient.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/23/838085670/europes-economy-was-hit-hard-too-but-jobs-didn-t-disappear-like-in-the-u-s

Germany is a great example of how to balance the pandemic, and it's effects on the economy with workers quality of life. Meanwhile, it's been a complete shitshow here where you have to be fired in order to collect the shitty unemployment thus losing your insurance and potentially your career. 

All from a country that was divided and reduced to rubble 75 years ago.

You wanna see strange? Go check out the Covid testing center on slaughter/Mopac next to the old NXNW. There was a line of cars waiting to be tested and the employees were standing around with their masks hanging around their necks. The techs at the makeshift lab out front weren't wearing masks, and neither were all the employees standing around BSing on the west side of the building. They did put their masks back on when talking to people in their cars but did not have any other PPE on. Say what you will about masks, these people should be the most buttoned down when it comes to COVID.

IMG_20200609_142409905_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

• Albert locked this topic