IGNORED

Deer Flies

TAF

The little fuckers were out on the Southies this morning, and a fellow I ran into who had just ridden the Green Belt said they were terrible down there. Does anyone recall that original Mojo thread from a few years ago, where clothing color was discussed, as well as some leaf or other which you could rub over you to dissuade the flies? A recap would come in handy.

2 hours ago, TAF said:

The little fuckers were out on the Southies this morning, and a fellow I ran into who had just ridden the Green Belt said they were terrible down there. Does anyone recall that original Mojo thread from a few years ago, where clothing color was discussed, as well as some leaf or other which you could rub over you to dissuade the flies? A recap would come in handy.

They love the color blue.  And I don't remember this on Mojo but someone just posted on Strava a week ago, American Beautyberry leaves are supposedly proven to repel them.

This is the stuff you see a lot at RHR:

image.thumb.png.1ce27b4772c46cf6c14947d78df0dc92.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

also helpful: where a shirt that says on the back "if you can smell me, you have COVID-19!" and watch the wheelsuckers scatter.

I thought that loss of smell was one of the symptoms!  Maybe it should read "...you better get tested for COVID-19!"

A relative in the extended family with a very mild case of the 'Rona lost his sense of smell completely for about 36 hours.  

My only experience with deer flies was Palo Duro Canyon, in late spring.  We had applied DEET liberally, including spraying our clothes and they were biting us on the bum through our shorts as we were riding. 

Edited by June Bug

Hit St Eds this morning. They were there too, but being able to carry more speed they didn't rape me too bad. Did see a gorgeous little Copperhead on the way out. 

St Eds - 0

Me - 1

Horse/deer flies - .25

Sorry for the crap photo.

IMG_20200723_074951462_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 4

My book: They like primary colors like red and blue. The darker, the more they like. They are the worst the 7-14 days after any significant rainfall in the months of July and August. When they are literally hunting me down, I stop pedaling and keep them off my torso and arms by waving a bit, and encourage them to land on my legs. They will. And just before they bite, they are completely vulnerable and you can rather easily slap them into oblivion. It kinda detracts from a ride , but it gets the most aggressive ones that will otherwise follow you and likely bite you as u ride. One particular ride on S16 GB i killed something like 17 of them - few years ago. Now I mostly avoid areas with water nearby after any big rain.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I believe this is a milk snake.

I emailed this and a few other pics I took to a serious reptile guy (the kind that uses vacation to go to out of state reptile shows) I work with this morning and he claims it is definitely a copperhead. There is no red or yellow. But I am no expert.

This one probably shows the color best:

IMG_20200723_075001111.jpg

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 4