IGNORED

AirBNB, Turo, Spinlister? Anyone ever use this?

Hmm, might also help if you are close to a trailhead here in town. Someone living near Barton Springs or Brushy Creek might have more customers than someone living in Pflugerville.

I’m pretty close to Walnut and my Scott Scale is mostly hanging on the wall. Maybe I should look in to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, notyal said:

Too lazy to actually search this myself, so I'll just pose the question. Are MTB destination areas like Moab or Whistler a little more active on such an app?

I searched SpinLister when I went to Hawaii last year and I did find a bunch of options, not all great, but that was *right* around the time they DeListed.

An aspect of this is just how complex setup can be on many of our bikes. Do you really want to help setup a full suspension bike for each renter, or, worse yet, get a bike back that has the setup jacked up badly? What if they adjust the seat angle, bars, controls, and dial in the suspension to suit them? Even if they know what they are doing and do it right it will no longer be right for you.

For cruisers and even hardtails with suspension forks it could be a way to make a buck or two. Renting out nice full-squishy bikes may be more trouble than it is worth.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, notyal said:

Too lazy to actually search this myself, so I'll just pose the question. Are MTB destination areas like Moab or Whistler a little more active on such an app?

I'm "listening" to a conference call, so I had a chance to answer my own question.

Moab - 1 road bike

Bentonville - 1 "old school" trek early 90's single speed MTB and a pretty nice Salsa El Mariachi for $50/day

Whistler - no listings

Bend, OR had a bunch, but most of them were one guy. Everything from retro cruisers to road bikes and fat bikes - even just wheelsets, but not a single full suspension trail bike. 

Just now, Ridenfool said:

An aspect of this is just how complex setup can be on many of our bikes. Do you really want to help setup a full suspension bike for each renter, or, worse yet, get a bike back that has the setup jacked up badly? What if they adjust the seat angle, bars, controls, to suit them? Even if they know what they are doing and do it right, it will no longer be right for you.

For cruisers and even hardtails with suspension forks it could be a way to make a buck or two. Renting out nice full-squishy bikes may be more trouble than it is worth.

I was thinking the same thing.  Your competition is a shop that rents at close the same price, sets it up for your in the shop, and you know there is at least a minimum expectation of basic maintenance on the bike. 

I've toyed around with the idea of putting a Spinlister fleet together but I barely have room for my storage needs now. I also can't wrap my head around dropping off and picking up. If I lived more central or closer to the touristy parts of town it would be worth a try.