IGNORED

shame this riders on muddy trails?

3 hours ago, cody said:

Wow, thanks for sharing. That's inexcusable.

I've volunteered with ARR to help with drainage improvements at Walnut Creek a few times and it was really eye opening how small grade changes can make a huge impact on trail sustainability.

Thanks for your help.  If only every person who ever had mud on their tires came out and did trail maintenance.

5 hours ago, throet said:

Wish there was an easy way to make Peddlers strictly off limits under these conditions.

Land managers have that technology. Its called a fence. And they decide when, or if, it opens.

People riding muddy trail will always be a problem. We can try all we want to educate people. And we need to try. But new people start riding. Or people move to the area. And some people don't care about the damage they cause. Some people think trails "just appear". They also think trails don't need to be maintained. My experience is those are the people that think it is "their right to ride anywhere and anytime they want".

That said, anybody that rides much will end up riding muddy trails sometime. I rode St Ed's & Thumper in a downpour during the EB one year. I have ridden places where most of the trail was fine but one area was a mud pit. You do what you can to avoid trouble. My point is we should educate - not shame.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Chief said:

My whole purpose for riding is to disconnect from all the crap we get subjected to everyday. Why would I want to bring some electronic device with me that keeps me connected to "the real world". I enjoy the peacefulness of just riding the trails.

music enhances my peacefulness

• Like 1

The one time I attempted to ride MTB with earbuds was at Slaughter Creek maybe a few months back.  I got about 1/2 mile in and took them out and pocketed them.  I felt so DISCONNECTED from the trail that it unnerved me.  Hearing my tires crunch over gravel and dirt and hearing my bike squeak, rattle and move around is a bigger part of the MTB experience that I realized.  I'll probably never use earbuds while MTB again.  Funny enough, I think one of those speaker things may be OK, as long as it is at low volume.  But it probably couldn't be made low enough to not bug others *shrug*.

I *have* successfully enjoyed earbuds while road biking, but I only do it on "closed courses" where there are no cars - like the Southern Walnut Creek Sidew^H^H^H^H^HTrail.  I'd never even attempt it in traffic.

-cls

• Like 2

I agree with you on this one cls. But others have their opinion on where / what / how to ride. I think everybody should be free to make their own mistakes^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H decisions.

I tried earbuds once and only once. On a road bike on the sidewalk / urban trail. I doubt I made 1/4 mile before I took them out. I was getting ready for the MS150 where I thought I could listen to music or an audio book 'while the miles rolled by'. It just didn't work for me.

It's wet out there. While working on Peddlers Pass today...guess what...here comes two riders. They were clearly newbies, but still, the BCRT is flooded, use some common sense. The water in the 1st pic is over a foot deep. FirstBlood fixed the drainage so now it's only a few inches deep. We did alot of work to fix drainage problems today, but it's so wet there is nowhere for the water to go. A section of the trail still had flowing water on it.

Flooded Berms 1.jpg

Flooded Berms 2.jpg

Under Parmer.jpg

Edited by HoneyBadger
  • Thanks 1

Honeybadger, I have some drainage stuff my wife keeps asking me to get rid of.  It's I think 3 of those instant french drain tubes and I also have a dry well as well as some drains.  I bought them for the pump track in my backyard but I ended up doing something completely different.  Let me know if you can use them.

15 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Honeybadger, I have some drainage stuff my wife keeps asking me to get rid of.  It's I think 3 of those instant french drain tubes and I also have a dry well as well as some drains.  I bought them for the pump track in my backyard but I ended up doing something completely different.  Let me know if you can use them.

French drains have been tried before on Deception and they always clog. The place we need them is in the bottom of berms so they get clogged quickly and if the inlet got broken they could cause a rider to wreck. I would love to be able to use them, but for now, we just keep adjusting the trail as problems arise.

• Like 2

Went to WC this morning to do some touch ups on drainage and berms and close off social paths that are trampling down plant life along the creek bottoms.  A older woman who walks two dogs every day at WC, who simply complains every time I see her, verbally assaulted me for working to keep park users on established/official trails.  Her tirade continued with all manner of nonsensical complaints.  I won't get in to all of them as none of them had the least bit of merit.  When she started hurling profanities at me I finally said I am done and walked away saying "Have a nice day".

Other than that one interaction with an obviously irrational person, feedback from park users has been overwhelmingly positive.  People regularly say "Thank You" and genuinely appreciate the volunteers who maintain our trails.  Sometimes certain things need to be explained, such as why trees (invasive) are being killed, but they typically get it and appreciate the explanation.

Edited by Chardog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1