IGNORED

Icy Trees

GFisher

A big branch on a red oak in the backyard was bending way down.  I tried using the propane heater under it, it was a waste of time and propane.  So I took a long 1x1 and just bashed it (this oak doesn't drop all its leaves until the spring when the new ones pop out), and it made a huge difference.  I'll try the same with the live oak out front.

Lots of Ash trees split in half in my hood. One fell into the street one car in front of me as I was driving to get some food during the outage Thursday. Spent couple hours trimming my neighbors ash tree that was sagging onto both of our roofs. Couple of huge live oaks split along our park and greenbelt. [emoji853]

Cracked up that all these people are scouring the neighborhood picking up the cut trees for firewood. They’re knocking on doors to ask if the can cut up all the downed trees! Good luck getting wet green live oak started. One plus to a gas fireplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I do have several 10k lbs rated ones from my racing days, and some trees I could attach them too, but I fear for this one to actually pull the other tree down.

Can you snatch them close to the ground the and use something that won't dig into them? I've used some pretty small trees to winch 5-6k lb jeeps out. 

• Thanks 1

In ‘97 we had a bad ice storm that did a number on our trees.  And with 10 wooded acres there were a lot at risk.  The sound was the spookiest thing - it sounded like somebody hitting a baseball with an aluminum bat, followed by what sounded like breaking glass.  It sounded like we were in a war zone.  We probably lost 15 medium to large Live Oaks, and major limbs from another 70 or so.  The junipers mostly leaned over and sprang back up once the ice melted but six or eight of them laid over and their root balls just popped out of the ground.  It took me two years to clean up the mess, particularly farther from the house.   We’ve lost a dozen limbs so far this year and are hoping we don’t get any more freezing rain.  Heck, we lost four or five limbs to the big snow in January.  

1 hour ago, WLemke said:

Our oak tree in the backyard didn’t fair too well during Thursday’s storm. I’m really impressed with the 40V Ryobi chainsaw I bought. Got everything cut up with one 5ah battery. ef79e13071571484013b37d1382b9555.jpg

ef96f671105bc9afe73af2d13eddc250.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you'll have firewood for next year!

Just now, Barry said:

"Wintry mix."  It must be warmer up high. At these Temps, it should just be fluffy white.

Yeah where we live (roughly Old Spicewood Springs tees into Spicewood Springs)  we seem to have a micro climate.  We get extra rain and fog when other areas don't. But I can't explain the sleet since that's well above the area where I would have thought the hills made a difference. 

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Our trees recovered somewhat even if it was never above freezing.  Not sure if sublimation or the stronger wind knocked some ice off but the branches are visibly sitting a couple of feet higher.  Did anyone else experience the same thing?

Definitely, not sure how but it got a lot better. Now we have snow everywhere.