IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

9 hours ago, gotdurt said:

Back on topic... WTF is this nonsense? We stopped blocking the B-line, yet that's not enough? My irritation has been renewed; every time I have to replace these rocks, I'm going to add more and build it bigger...

20200430_084416.jpg

So as a B line rider, who enjoys 1/4 notch I decided to try DD about 3 weeks ago. There is so much un-rideable sections of DD (for me) and walk only stuff (for me) that I can't imagine getting to this section and trying to make that one thing easier for me. I don't understand the logic, it would be like drowning in the middle of the ocean and building a liferaft for my hand.

Seriously, if I hadn't seen 2 or 3 riders clearing some of the obstacles I wouldn't have believed it could be cleared.

Edited by RedRider3141
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

So as a B line rider, who enjoys 1/4 notch I decided to try DD about 3 weeks ago. There is so much un-rideable sections of DD (for me) and walk only stuff (for me) that I can't imagine getting to this section and trying to make that one thing easier for me. I don't understand the logic, it would be like drowning in the middle of the ocean and building a liferaft for my hand.

Seriously, if I hadn't seen 2 or 3 riders clearing some of the obstacles I wouldn't have believed it could be cleared.

It becomes easier the more you attempt it. I can consistently clear everything on double down except for 2 features. And I have cleared those 2 features a few times, but only at like a 20% success rate. A year ago I couldn’t even clear half the stuff on 1/4 notch. That side is cake now. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, quixoft said:

I do have one question, I'm on a hard tail and going up the higher steps, I have no problem getting the front wheel up and over and I have the power to get the back wheel over them; but after I get the front wheel up, the back wheel hits and knocks me off the pedals or my pedals clip the rock ledge and do the same. Any tips to correct that? It's too high for me to bunny hop up, I can only fully clear objects about 8 inches with both wheels and that's when I'm lucky. Only about 6 inches consistently(<insert joke here>) and that is on flat ground.

This video has a great explanation on how to fix your issue.  His videos in general are really good.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, quixoft said:

I do have one question, I'm on a hard tail and going up the higher steps, I have no problem getting the front wheel up and over and I have the power to get the back wheel over them; but after I get the front wheel up, the back wheel hits and knocks me off the pedals or my pedals clip the rock ledge and do the same. Any tips to correct that? It's too high for me to bunny hop up, I can only fully clear objects about 8 inches with both wheels and that's when I'm lucky. Only about 6 inches consistently(<insert joke here>) and that is on flat ground.

Here's another really good video for solving this problem. The key here is not to actually place your front wheel on top of the object but to instead glance off the top of it to propel you up and over while unweighting the back of the bike. It's called the punch. The timing can be tricky but it's a great move.

• Like 6

Here's another really good video for solving this problem. The key here is not to actually place your front wheel on top of the object but to instead glance off the top of it to propel you up and over while unweighting the back of the bike. It's called the punch. The timing can be tricky but it's a great move.

This is the method @Morealice taught me to get up EBD step.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, throet said:

That's a damn good time for 1/4 notch end-to-end - good job! 

Thanks. I realize now that I’m kind of humble bragging. My pace falls the shit once I hit DD though. Those large steps up are a bit above my pay grade. Those videos above that were just posted were helpful. I’m actually about to head out there now to practice. 

31 minutes ago, WLemke said:

Thanks. I realize now that I’m kind of humble bragging. My pace falls the shit once I hit DD though. Those large steps up are a bit above my pay grade. Those videos above that were just posted were helpful. I’m actually about to head out there now to practice. 

Hey nothing wrong with that - and trust me you'll have DD down in no time if you have the physicality to run 1/4 end-to-end in 16 min. I used to pack a full lunch and take 3 hours to go end-to-end when I first started riding Deception (1/4 Notch and DD combined). Now I can go end-to-end in well under an hour in either direction, and then turn around and go back in the opposite direction. Like others have stated, I thought many of the features were un-rideable when I first saw them. There are a couple of spots I generally don't even attempt anymore for fear of stalling on the incline and then falling backwards with nothing to stop me (like getting up Jammer). Probably more mental than anything, but at 61 I don't want to rely on brut strength that I just don't have.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, First-Blood said:

This is the method @Morealice taught me to get up EBD step.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was using it to get up the high side of Huck Finn but stopped doing it because I was still somehow banging my chainring in the process most of the time - probably just not enough thrust. Now I just take one of the easier lines on the left. 

8 minutes ago, throet said:

There are a couple of spots I generally don't even attempt anymore for fear of stalling on the incline and then falling backwards with nothing to stop me (like getting up Jammer). Probably more mental than anything, but at 61 I don't want to rely on brut strength that I just don't have.  

Same here.  For me once I got hardware to hold my ankle together, I am a lot less brave when there are rocks and rock gaps and such where I envision not making it up, putting my foot down on the wrong spot and breaking it again.  I still had one fantabulous ride about 2 months ago where I sessioned a lot of stuff on DD that I'd been walking. Some definitely deserved my respect and caution, but most stuff was fairly tame, and some stuff was tame if you can hold the right line, and scary if you can't.

• Like 2

Just got back from sessioning DD. I was able to utilize “the punch“ to clean every step up but some I had to try a few times to get it. Now just need to work on consistency. The only one I was having a hard time cleaning was the step up that has the loose climb just before it. Hard to get enough speed to punch up. Ended up having to brute force it. 

Edited by WLemke
  • Like 5

Paramedics out at the Peddlers Pass trail head. Gentleman is doing ok. But they are Wheeling him out. Cardiac related but conscious and talking.  

Mountain bikers and other good Samaritans were helping. 

Edited by biga9999
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, WLemke said:

Just got back from sessioning DD. I was able to utilize “the punch“ to clean every step up but some I had to try a few times to get it. Now just need to work on consistency. The only one I was having a hard time cleaning was the step up that has the loose climb just before it. Hard to get enough speed to punch up. Ended up having to brute force it. 

IMG_1849.MOV 26.58 MB · 1 download

That's awesome dude! By the time I make it up there I'm gassed and just go left. Have never even made a serious attempt at EBD. Good job and keep up the good work! 

13 hours ago, biga9999 said:

Paramedics out at the Peddlers Pass trail head. Gentleman is doing ok. But they are Wheeling him out. Cardiac related but conscious and talking.  

Mountain bikers and other good Samaritans were helping. 

This is like the 3rd or 4th mention that I have seen of cardiac while mountain biking recently.

I wonder if this is because we have an influx of new riders because of the lockdown and these are people not used to that level of activity?

I would hate to think that this is all experienced riders.

On 4/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, quixoft said:

You will find that different features will require different techniques, based on your speed/momentum at the approach, if there are compound obstacles (ie: multiple ledges in a row), etc. The videos above are a good start, and after you get the hang of different methods, you'll find yourself mixing them up a bit as-needed...

To relate it specifically to Brushy, here are a few features you'll recognize (I didn't do any slow-mo's, but the speed adjustment in YT's settings works well):

This is "Sponge Bob" and "the rock with no name" (seriously, it doesn't have a name, that I'm aware of) on a single speed. This is pretty much "Punching", albeit less exaggerated movement compared to the how-tos...

On "Squeeze Play" I start like a punch, then I let the back tire bump it's way up with a pedal stroke:

This is "EBD" (at the beginning); I pedal all the way through it, and I tend to use a little bigger gear than most would expect:

This "Huck Finn" back in 2013... note that it is a bit smaller and doesn't have the smaller ledge above it yet... it takes more effort now. (it's at 0:45 if the video doesn't jump straight there)

As for bunny hopping, it's really only useful if you have something to clear at speed, like a big log or something.

When I was a kid, my buddies and I noticed that no matter what we were bunny hopping over, whether it was 6" or 24", we always only cleared it by "just enough" (maybe an inch or 2), no matter how hard we tried... it's like our brain and body were tuned only for the obstacle at hand; no more, no less.  It was a strange phenomenon that still holds up for me to this day.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

You will find that different features will require different techniques, based on your speed/momentum at the approach, if there are compound obstacles (ie: multiple ledges in a row), etc. The videos above are a good start, and after you get the hang of different methods, you'll find yourself mixing them up a bit as-needed...

To relate it specifically to Brushy, here are a few features you'll recognize (I didn't do any slow-mo's, but the speed adjustment in YT's settings works well):

This is "Sponge Bob" and "the rock with no name" (seriously, it doesn't have a name, that I'm aware of) on a single speed. This is pretty much "Punching", albeit less exaggerated movement compared to the how-tos...

On "Squeeze Play" I start like a punch, then I let the back tire bump it's way up with a pedal stroke:

This is "EBD" (at the beginning); I pedal all the way through it, and I tend to use a little bigger gear than most would expect:

This "Huck Finn" back in 2013... note that it is a bit smaller and doesn't have the smaller ledge above it yet... it takes more effort now. (it's at 0:45 if the video doesn't jump straight there)if it doesn't

As for bunny hopping, it's really only useful if you have something to clear at speed, like a big log or something.

When I was a kid, my buddies and I noticed that no matter what we were bunny hopping over, whether it was 6" or 24", we always only cleared it by "just enough" (maybe an inch or 2), no matter how hard we tried... it's like our brain and body were tuned only for the obstacle at hand.  It was a strange phenomenon that still holds up for me to this day.

Great videos! Thanks!

Got a notification from Guerrilla Gravity yesterday. New bike day should be this Wednesday if FedEx tracker is actually correct!

• Like 4

Rode for 3 hours today starting at around 10am and never even hit my usual route of Snail, Rim, and DD. It's been a long time since I've been over to Candyland. Rode most of that twice in both directions just because whenever I've been away from it for a while I need two trips through to eliminate any dabs. Always nice getting back over there though. Rode Peddlers too for the first time in a while and it was mucho fun as usual. By the time I hit 1/4 E-W heading home, the heat was getting to me. It's funny how you know it's too hot to be riding when you smell the cedar heating up. Took it easy on 1/4 and even had to stop and stretch at one point as I was cramping up. Going to need to start getting out earlier in the AM to avoid this heat.  

• Like 2

Well, I TRIED to string together a 50 miler from my house (other end of Little Elm - the road YMCA is on) thru Brushy and points beyond without repeating too much and without too much gravel/pavement.  Failed.  Brushy itself only has ~30 miles if you don't repeat too much.  So, in order:

From my house

YMCA trail at top->Snail->Dave's ditch->Rimjob->Deception backwards->over the damn and down backside->gumdrop->Walshtrail to Suburban->Christchurch section->Boat->Apartments section of Suburban to Redhorn->East side of Suburban (including offshoot loop trail->back thru Walshtrail->gumdrop->white rabbit->up and over the dam->Peddlers->mulligan->Picnic->rimjob->dave's ditch.  That totaled ~30.  I tacked on some rogue trails that have popped up on the other side of 183 around the lake back there beside the apartment complex then back to the house.  Grand total=43.6.  Heat was getting bad at 2pm, so I pulled the plug.

Oh well, on a suggestion, will have to roll in Wilco park trails north of 1431, so that should total 50.  Next time.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Shinerider said:

Well, I TRIED to string together a 50 miler from my house (other end of Little Elm - the road YMCA is on) thru Brushy and points beyond without repeating too much and without too much gravel/pavement.  Failed.  Brushy itself only has ~30 miles if you don't repeat too much.  So, in order:

From my house

YMCA trail at top->Snail->Dave's ditch->Rimjob->Deception backwards->over the damn and down backside->gumdrop->Walshtrail to Suburban->Christchurch section->Boat->Apartments section of Suburban to Redhorn->East side of Suburban (including offshoot loop trail->back thru Walshtrail->gumdrop->white rabbit->up and over the dam->Peddlers->mulligan->Picnic->rimjob->dave's ditch.  That totaled ~30.  I tacked on some rogue trails that have popped up on the other side of 183 around the lake back there beside the apartment complex then back to the house.  Grand total=43.6.  Heat was getting bad at 2pm, so I pulled the plug.

Oh well, on a suggestion, will have to roll in Wilco park trails north of 1431, so that should total 50.  Next time.

Damn. And here I thought I was doing well on 15 mile days.

• Like 1

I tried to ride all the Deception and Suburban Ninja trails I could find.  About 30 miles total plus 4 extra miles for a restroom detour at ymca. 

https://strava.app.link/yu7jBmCqc6

Rode Deception east to west from Mulligan to YMCA, back east on Picnic, then to Suburban Ninja.  I'm not too familiar with SN so I'm sure I missed some trails there.  Then back to the trails near Champion Park and finishing off at Peddlers Pass.

Was tempted to try Wilco park as well...Next time.

• Like 4