IGNORED

The Second Sign of the Apocalypse

AustinBike

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

I think I'm going to start using, 'bike bike." 

"The ebike was broken so I took my bike bike."

You could follow the winding trail of woeful nomenclature Iced Tea has endured. 

I always thought that "UNsweetened Tea" was an abundance of unnecessary syllables. There is either Tea, or, there is Sweet Tea. It isn't as if the sugar has to be taken out, is it?

To follow your example to conclusion, unsweetened tea would then be "Tea Tea."

Which does actually describe what it becomes eventually and has half the syllables. Win win!

For further reference there is "unleaded gas," as if they have to remove the additive to create it. It is just gas without the lead having been put into it.

So, with this human tendency toward misnomers of excessive proportion firmly in mind I offer what is obvious and seemingly inevitable,

"the unelectric bike."

/s     (a notation to inform the sarcastically challenged)

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Saw 2 Sur-rons on the greenbelt yesterday. Not sure how far they got, in my mind these guys were definitely in over their heads. This is part of the problem that we are going to face as mountain bikers. 

Some bonewipe is gonna knock over a hiker or break their neck. And the city will crank down indiscriminately.

This risks trail access for all of us. 

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Saw 2 Sur-rons on the greenbelt yesterday. Not sure how far they got, in my mind these guys were definitely in over their heads. This is part of the problem that we are going to face as mountain bikers. 

Some bonewipe is gonna knock over a hiker or break their neck. And the city will crank down indiscriminately.

This risks trail access for all of us. 

"a guy on a bike riding in an Affliction shirt, flip–flops, and a backwards Fox cap knocked me over. ban all bikes!"

On 5/30/2023 at 2:55 PM, Ridenfool said:

So, with this human tendency toward misnomers of excessive proportion firmly in mind I offer what is obvious and seemingly inevitable,

whenever I hear bicycle components referred to as "unthreaded" or roads as "unpaved," I think, does that mean that someone removed threading/pavement from one that was previously threaded/paved? why would you go to all the trouble to cut threads into a shaft of metal and then grind it all off? why would you spend millions of dollars paving a road and then rip it all out and leave gravel?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see some real serviceability issues, primarily based in the idea that this thing is not going to be widely supported, at least initially, so who will work on it if there is an issue? One of the real challenges with electric bikes today is the servicing. At least with "conventional" e-bikes, the derailleur mechanism on the rear wheel is a "known quantity" for the servicing so that leaves only the simpler e-power drivetrain as an outlier when service issues arise. 

But this thing integrates the power drive train and transmission into a single unit. While that uncomplicates the rear end of the bike, it massively complicates the drive train. What good is a bike when it hits the shop for repair and the repair takes significantly longer or costs significantly more? In light of recent supply chain issues, you'd be hard-pressed to find a good scenario for integrating a very technical niche product into a bike. That is a recipe for more time sitting waiting on repair versus enjoying on the trails.

It's taking what's exposed to the elements and is finicky and easily damaged and puts it inside a container.  My understanding is that e-bikes are also harder on a regular drivetrain.  If I were to get a commuter e-bike, I would get one with the internal Shimano 7-speed hub and a drive belt.  Both have been proven to be reliable for people that ride long distances.  I would expect (don't know that it is, but I expect it) similar reliability from this integrated transmission.

5 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

It's taking what's exposed to the elements and is finicky and easily damaged and puts it inside a container.  My understanding is that e-bikes are also harder on a regular drivetrain.  If I were to get a commuter e-bike, I would get one with the internal Shimano 7-speed hub and a drive belt.  Both have been proven to be reliable for people that ride long distances.  I would expect (don't know that it is, but I expect it) similar reliability from this integrated transmission.

I always thought a 9 or 10 speed rohloff hub with belt was the perfect setup for a hardtail or commuter. Had a few at the handmade bike show here years ago I was drooling over but they were a bit out my price range at the time. Like AB said the issue of buying it was always servicing. Doubt there’s 2 mechanics in the whole area that have taken a rohloff apart.  The Shimano’s are pretty good if you don’t grind on it too hard. Had a few, still got some Electra’s with the 3 speed hubs.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

I always thought a 9 or 10 speed rohloff hub with belt was the perfect setup for a hardtail or commuter. Had a few at the handmade bike show here years ago I was drooling over but they were a bit out my price range at the time. Like AB said the issue of buying it was always servicing. Doubt there’s 2 mechanics in the whole area that have taken a rohloff apart.  

Back in the HH days, I'd bet we did more Rohloff builds than any other shop in TX.  We prolly had 6-7 under our belt.  The reliabilty of those things was off the charts.  They were German (over) engineered and supposably capable of running 10k miles before needing servicing of any kind.  Back then one of our best "use-cases" for building them were actually all-mtn/enduro type bikes.  These bike owners care less about weight, wanted something durable that could take a beating, and when crashed or thrashed didn't have any dangly bits to get messed up.

Anybody remember Huckleberry from Mojo?  The 2nd one we built was for him because: 1) he was an engineer that loved the geekery of the concept,  2) he often tore stuff up.  He was one of our bigger advocates.  IMHO the primary downside (besides weight and price), was that in 1  of the ratios you could sense  some friction drag in t he  drivetrain and that  would bug ME as an owner/user.

Later,
CJB

• Like 1

Would love to get one of these newer style compact emtb for the wife. She liked the trek when she saw it, so might be a good bike to demo.

https://global.pivotcycles.com/products/shuttle-sl

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/fuel-exe/fuel-exe-5/p/41476/?colorCode=teal

Edited by ATXZJ

My wife is loving hers. We’ve sone some lighter gravel rides on this trip and she can keep up with me and sometimes even pass me. She calls it mountain biking. It is better for me to not argue the point. Just wish I had brought the singlespeed, but when I ride the mountains I am happy for my meager gears.

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Would love to get one of these newer style compact emtb for the wife. She liked the trek when she saw it, so might be a good bike to demo.

https://global.pivotcycles.com/products/shuttle-sl

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/fuel-exe/fuel-exe-5/p/41476/?colorCode=teal

Here you go buddy! 

https://bikerumor.com/dangerholm-scott-lumen-eride-worlds-lightest-emtb/

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 4:35 PM, throet said:

Hah. All that dangerholm stuff is nuts in a kinda cool way.

There's so much climbing out here that e-bikes are making more sense. The closest DH park is 2.5hrs away and seems pretty mild. Lots of good freeride options in EP but those climbs are rough.

In CTX it seems like a bit of a waste to have an ebike just to ride around in some pasture or ditch. I had the most fun on gravel and light/efficient bikes there. Although I'd be down to grab that Austin energy e-bike rebate if it was applicable.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 7:49 PM, Chongo Loco said:

The original bike with the rohloff he had was an old racer-x I think. Wasn’t it him with the chain of half links…freakin apocalypse setup!

Yes, It was a first gen Titus RacerX 29er (in red).  And correct it was a chain of halflinks.  He loved that you could change(dump) gears up and down under pedlaing load.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:50 PM, AntonioGG said:

Did Huckleberry have that Tallboy with the custom carbon fork crown?

That was not Huckleberry.  I can't recall the customer's name but I bumped into Tallboy/carbon crown guy at BCGB a few years back.  The Tallboy you referenced was actually fitted with a carbon lefty and he found some eastern Eurpoean company that manufactured a carbon steerer for the lefty.  He brought it in to the shop for us to intall and we politely declined.  Scetched both me and the mechanic out a bit.  I beleve his goal was to get the bike under 22 (maybe 21??) pounds.

Cheers,
CJB

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure how Google's algorithms work, but apparently after reading a news article about how 4 people have died due to an inherent flaw in the design of OneWheels, with the manufacturer agreeing to recall all of its self-balancing units, somehow, I'm a prospective buyer? 

image.thumb.png.9b0d237c94d33e0f275b45a4be9452f6.png 

• Haha 2