IGNORED

The Second Sign of the Apocalypse

AustinBike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They said it could not happen here, but this video has millions of views. The e-bike zealots have declared holy war and they are armed, ready to make you swear allegiance to lithium-ion batteries with their machetes! Hug your children, kiss you spouse, grease your hub pawls—lest they hear you—and hope that they reach the end of their assisted range before they catch you.

https://www.bikemag.com/news/machete-fork-fitment

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Haha 3

Where I grew up gardeners used machetes to edge lawns and trim weeds and such.  I have a fiskars machete I got for dealing with bamboo.  My first take is this is for clearing trail.  Now get me a mount for my Ryobi battery 10” chainsaw and I’m interested!

Edited by AntonioGG

7 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

My first take is this is for clearing trail.  

Exactly. That is of course what it is for. Several people have observed what you have. The amazing thing to me is that the author of that article, that is merely reposting a viral video, is posting it in A BIKE MAGAZINE! Obviously that guy never does trail work. I give him a semi-pass though because lots more people watch "The Walking Dead" than do trail work.

• Like 1

If you’re only experienced in trail work here I guess a machete makes less sense. Used to use a machete all the time when I did trail work in swampy areas and areas with a lot of undergrowth. Nothing better to clear out brush, briars, palmetto’s. Loppers aren’t useful on thick green leafy vegetation. Larger diameter woody stuff like cedar you can use it, but loppers are less work. I had a shorter machete that fit in a camelbak.  It was thin and easy to sharpen, much easier to transport by bike than loppers.  The longer thicker standard length one I have now cuts thicker stuff better but not as easy to sharpen or carry. 

On 11/13/2023 at 11:59 PM, AntonioGG said:

Where I grew up gardeners used machetes to edge lawns and trim weeds and such.  I have a fiskars machete I got for dealing with bamboo.  My first take is this is for clearing trail.  Now get me a mount for my Ryobi battery 10” chainsaw and I’m interested!

Around where I grew up people typically used a cane knife for yard work.  It’s light, thin, can be sharpened almost razor sharp, and have the hook to drag out what you cut. Not much heft so not a full swing implement of destruction like a machete. 😬

IMG_0190.jpeg

• Like 1

Back to the coming Apocalypse, this paywalled story in Bicycling Fall 2023 is pretty chilling! It doesn't really concern eMTBs, but focuses on mass market E-Bikes and how their components tend to be cheap and way overmatched for the speeds these bikes go.  Specifically, there's often a dangerous combination of mechanical disc brakes and quick release front wheels, in particular. Couple that with casual users that don't usually do maintenance...and you can see where that's headed.  This article tells a cautionary tale about a 12-yo girl in SoCal that died after crashing a Rad Power Bike. 

I now find myself compelled to bring it up to anyone I meet with an e-bike.

• Like 2

A massive search is ongoing after a woman didn't return from going on a hike in Calaveras County on the Arnold Rim Trail in California.  

myMotherLode.com:  Sheriff’s officials noted that a total of more than 64 searchers, 3 canine teams, 2 UAVs (drones), and 9 e-bikes have been deployed in this continuing search.

• Like 1

A friend that now lives in the Bay Area does canine SAR. They recently got access to E-bikes for training.  Besides the speed / distance advantage they lug 30 lbs of radio, gear, food & water thru every kind of terrain in whatever conditions heat/cold/hills/chaparral that’s in front of them. Anything that conserves energy and keeps them out there longer is a huge plus for them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always been amazed with how universal bicycles are among different brands. For example, when I sold my Diamondback I moved almost every component from it to my Ghost and fitment was perfect and vise versa. Try that between any two brand of dirt bikes or cars or etc.? No Bueno, not going to happen. 

...but then I came across this over the weekend, I didn't realize the depth of proprietary parts that are being created for e-Bikes. Hopefully as the technology matures you'll see no more than a few different standards come up for charges, motors, batteries, etc. 

• Like 1

Having dealt in the world of OEM solutions, I can tell you that obsolescence is a real big problem. I am fighting with Lowes this week to get a stove delivered, all because the control panel unit, that is very specific to my current model, is broken. A refurbished one costs ~$350 and another $150 to get it installed. All with a 30-day warranty if you know how to chase the right people down. Or a new one can be had for $900.

I am guessing that all of these low-volume custom designs are going to start to see very expensive parts go EOL with no warning. I have an Eagle GX derailleur and cassette in my garage waiting for the inevitable failure, I only bought those because of supply chain issues 2 years ago. Who is going to stockpile an $800 bespoke motor for their specific bike?

44 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Having dealt in the world of OEM solutions, I can tell you that obsolescence is a real big problem. I am fighting with Lowes this week to get a stove delivered, all because the control panel unit, that is very specific to my current model, is broken. A refurbished one costs ~$350 and another $150 to get it installed. All with a 30-day warranty if you know how to chase the right people down. Or a new one can be had for $900.

I am guessing that all of these low-volume custom designs are going to start to see very expensive parts go EOL with no warning. I have an Eagle GX derailleur and cassette in my garage waiting for the inevitable failure, I only bought those because of supply chain issues 2 years ago. Who is going to stockpile an $800 bespoke motor for their specific bike?

Have you considered the cost of a replacement motor for an Amish/Acoustic bike?

Could price out at more than an arm and a leg. 😏 (and don't even try to make a warranty claim...)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

...but then I came across this over the weekend, I didn't realize the depth of proprietary parts that are being created for e-Bikes. Hopefully as the technology matures you'll see no more than a few different standards come up for charges, motors, batteries, etc. 

this is the kind of thing that makes me want to go full old man shaking fist at cloud rant. all these companies know exactly what they are doing, and they don't care. they will trot out a yearly sustainability report full of greenwashed nonsense. most of those batteries will end up in a landfill. a few of them will get tossed in municipal recycling bins, where they will start fires that injure workers and damage facilities (yes, this happens all time). I'd be curious to know how many of them are properly recycled. recycling is one of the least impactful ways to reduce waste, but for things like this, the damage has already been done and it's the best way.

• Like 2