Jump to content
Chief

Tech/Maintenance

Recommended Posts

My understanding with the hydra free hub is only one pawl is engaged at a time at first and as the torque is applied all six pawls engage. This reduces drag while coasting, but is stronger than their torch freehub when fully engaged. I haven’t seen many reports of them failing, but I’m sure like any other design their are some cases. I’ve heard from a few people in this forum (or mojo) that had their CK and DT hubs fail on them. Nothing’s perfect. I don’t know anything about the Sprague clutch longevity.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shanerpvt said:

Thanks for this.  Any idea how the Onyx Vesper hub compare in durability?  In principle the “cams” seem to operate like pawls?

 

Thanks for your thoughts,

Shaner

Onyx hubs use a sprag clutch design. It's essentially a roller bearing that engages in one direction and when not engaged there is no contact with the hub shell allowing it to freewheel with no friction from the drive mechanism. Here's a good video of how it operates.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience with Sprague clutches (RC world) is that they are very sensitive to contamination rendering them useless.  I did get a chance to ride on an Onyx equipped bike, and it's pretty cool and feels solid with instant engagement.

I believe the CK failures are related to the retainer/tensioner nut.  At least the 2 I've seen/heard about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

DT350/DT240 and the CK hubs have different drive mechanisms but I think they still experience extreme pressure.

Extreme pressure?

My advice is if you have King hubs, get the steel freehub, not the aluminum freehub. My reason? Here:

IMG_0132.thumb.jpeg.b03a07762273e10aecc5202b5bf61565.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cheif & AntonioGG, thanks for the input on the Onyx.  Recently started running a wheel set w/ them and wasn’t sure of the durability.  The feel of them is different from any other wheel I have ever ridden.

Cheers,

Shaner

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

@Cheif & AntonioGG, thanks for the input on the Onyx.  Recently started running a wheel set w/ them and wasn’t sure of the durability.  The feel of them is different from any other wheel I have ever ridden.

Cheers,

Shaner

You'll definitely need a bell on your bike if you didn't have one already. 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

You'll definitely need a bell on your bike if you didn't have one already. 🙂

I have to have one on both bikes.

image.png.6461a3a835a96af481c94e6cb6645b4d.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 5:39 PM, AntonioGG said:

The helical gear wear I don’t understand at all.  

I would not call it wear. I think I was breaking the teeth. I was on a ride and the rear hub started slipping. I tried to make it back to the trail head but one crank turn later the freehub spun freely. This was part of the year where I was focused on climbing. Clearly I torqued it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I would not call it wear. I think I was breaking the teeth. I was on a ride and the rear hub started slipping. I tried to make it back to the trail head but one crank turn later the freehub spun freely. This was part of the year where I was focused on climbing. Clearly I torqued it.

Clearly you don't know your own power.

image.png.3571d816b85cd3888de9fb965e163a11.png

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to replace my rear brake caliper, it was a Shimano XT 8020 and couldn’t find a deal on one since they are discontinued. Ended up picking up a Deore 6120 caliper. The lower end Shimano brakes take a cotter pin which I hate. I prefer the screw in pin found on the higher tier brakes. I was able to tap in threads to the caliper to fit the screw in pin and also Saint/Zee finned pads fit in these brakes! They feel almost exactly like the XT’s!
3aff535f744a411c1cd00564c5997575.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've called a few shops and I can't find a local source for 6803 bearings. need a pair for my front hub. anyone have a reliable source for things like that? Peddler in Cedar Park has one such bearing and it sounds like a lot of bike distros are out of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I had to replace my rear brake caliper, it was a Shimano XT 8020 and couldn’t find a deal on one since they are discontinued. Ended up picking up a Deore 6120 caliper. The lower end Shimano brakes take a cotter pin which I hate. I prefer the screw in pin found on the higher tier brakes. I was able to tap in threads to the caliper to fit the screw in pin and also Saint/Zee finned pads fit in these brakes! They feel almost exactly like the XT’s!
3aff535f744a411c1cd00564c5997575.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there an advantage of using those pads?


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I've called a few shops and I can't find a local source for 6803 bearings. need a pair for my front hub. anyone have a reliable source for things like that? Peddler in Cedar Park has one such bearing and it sounds like a lot of bike distros are out of them.

Not sure if your search included non-bike shops.  If it's a standard bearing size, did you try Purvis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Is there an advantage of using those pads?


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

I cannot tell a difference at all. Just had an extra pair from some old zee brakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Not sure if your search included non-bike shops.  If it's a standard bearing size, did you try Purvis?

that's what I was looking for, a non-bike shop. I finally called Mike at Sun and Ski and he said he has a bunch of em.

i looked up Pruvis but I think I'm missing something. they have 6803 size bearings for $99.44 each. why are they a hundred bucks? is that for a case of those bearings? I just need two.

I stopped buying from Amazon. don't want to make a big deal about that, but I was trying to find something at a local business rather than going automatically to the big A.

Edited by mack_turtle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rockshins said:

I cannot tell a difference at all. Just had an extra pair from some old zee brakes.

Looks good!

Can also say the TruckerCo metallic sintered pads for zee/saint worked every bit as good as my finned saint metallic pads. Initial bite is a bit more aggressive but you can work through it. 

Also surprised they weren't tapped from the factory like the older deore were.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Looks good!

Can also say the TruckerCo metallic sintered pads for zee/saint worked every bit as good as my finned saint metallic pads. Initial bite is a bit more aggressive but you can work through it. 

Also surprised they weren't tapped from the factory like the older deore were.

Yeah I assumed they were tapped but came with cotter pins like the zee’s. Easy enough to do though. 
 

trucker co will be my next pads, my Utah friends also recommend them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rockshins said:

trucker co will be my next pads, my Utah friends also recommend them. 

+1- I have been running them for many years, I also started running their tire sealant a couple years ago and have been pleased with both.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I've called a few shops and I can't find a local source for 6803 bearings. need a pair for my front hub. anyone have a reliable source for things like that? Peddler in Cedar Park has one such bearing and it sounds like a lot of bike distros are out of them.

Somewhat related but if you need suspension bearings, I fully recommend RWC (aka Enduro Fork Seals). They list everything by bike and individually. In fact, if your bike isn't listed and you provide all of the correct sizes, they will send you a full set. This is how I rebuild my Mission a few years back.

 

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Somewhat related but if you need suspension bearings, I fully recommend RWC (aka Enduro Fork Seals). They list everything by bike and individually. In fact, if your bike isn't listed and you provide all of the correct sizes, they will send you a full set. This is how I rebuild my Mission a few years back.

 

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/

I've never needed this, but I learned something new while looking around for bearings: they make their "max" bearings for suspension because they are made stronger to withstand impacts, not so much to spin fast. for hub bearings, you don't want the max ones.

just found some bearings at a local shop that was closed yesterday, so I'm covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...