IGNORED

The heat is on full-blast. Are you riding?

1 hour ago, hurronnicane said:

Any cleaning issues with salt in your hydration bladder?

Not with just salt or even pure carbs (8% glucose/fructose mix), but I don't like putting anything with protein in there.  However, I had to be careful to rinse really well.  As an alternative, I'd leave some in there and just freeze it.  That way it wouldn't get spoiled.

These days I make a concentrate sport drink in a bottle on my downtube and just stick to water in the bladder.  It basically turns into a gel. I can do 4-5 hours worth in one 25oz bottle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

not my discussion, but I've not used a backpack or bladder like that in about a year. cleaning that crap out of hoses sucks. If you wear a pack, i would not recommend putting anything other than water in it. put your drink mix in a separate bottle that is easier to clean. if you can carry it in a powdered form, bring and extra serving in a separate little container and pour it in the bottle later when you need more.

I always mix powdered drinks like propel in my bladders and have never had an issue. Just rinse the bladder out with water after each ride, let the hose flush while the clean water is in it, and then stick it in the freezer for the next ride. I've never even used soap to clean them. 

• Like 1

I always keep my bladders in a drawer in the garage fridge
Ever since doing so the skank has ceased. The only times I have an issue with some nasty stuff growing in them is if and when I forget to put the bladders back in the cold. If I leave them in the heat or room temp then stuff grows.
I do run straight water in bladders. If I mix I use a water bottle

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, quixoft said:

I shut down around December when it gets cold and start back up in March. I generally don't ride when it's under 60. Too chilly.

Otherwise known in Central Texas as ‘ The Days We Live For’.

39 minutes ago, Txduc said:

Denture cleaner works well for cleaning bladders and is dirt cheap.

I tried this.  Be prepared to have a strong mint flavor in your camelback.  Do they make other flavors? I just remember buying the cheapest generic Walgreens denture cleaner I could find.  LOL!!

I mean, it's probably better than the chlorine flavor from the camelback tablets which is I don't do either unless absolutely necessary.  With the Osprey bladders it's easy to wash and scrub all the inside so I have less of a need for tabs on those than on my camelbacks.

9 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I tried this.  Be prepared to have a strong mint flavor in your camelback.  Do they make other flavors? I just remember buying the cheapest generic Walgreens denture cleaner I could find.  LOL!!

I mean, it's probably better than the chlorine flavor from the camelback tablets which is I don't do either unless absolutely necessary.  With the Osprey bladders it's easy to wash and scrub all the inside so I have less of a need for tabs on those than on my camelbacks.

I've not had that issue with the generic HEB tablets just a bit of mint smell but will make sure I stay away from the Walgreens stuff. I do like chuckt's beer idea though. LOL

16 hours ago, hurronnicane said:

Any cleaning issues with salt in your hydration bladder?

I'd say adding salt would prevent any possible bacterial buildup. Personally just use water and maybe rinse it out once or twice a year. That was general Austin tap water, so the chloramine probably prevented any issues. Will be installing an under-sink RO + 6 other filters system later this week, so might need to change that practice and actually clean it.

31 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

I'd say adding salt would prevent any possible bacterial buildup. Personally just use water and maybe rinse it out once or twice a year. That was general Austin tap water, so the chloramine probably prevented any issues. Will be installing an under-sink RO + 6 other filters system later this week, so might need to change that practice and actually clean it.

Yeah I've never cleaned mine in over a year but I just use water.  Hell I'll even leave water in it in the garage from previous rides and just top it off. Never had an issue with gunk. Same die my hockey water bottles.  I just keep refilling and topping off for each ride/game.

My wife thinks I'm gross because I'll drink my open bedside water over the course of three or four nights without emptying/refilling. 

Haven't gotten sick or died yet!

Rode last night, Mulligan, Picnic out and back and then peddlers. Definitely bonked halfway through Peddlers. Drank 100oz including one NUUN filled bottle. Felt ok until bedtime and then the familiar headache came on. I concur its from drinking straight water without any supplements, I should just have a NUUN or suck some pickle juice when I get home. 

I don't usual add anything to my water, but I do use the hell out of SaltStick Caps at a rate of about 2-3 per hour. 

image.png.33782f2b715cd96b9e58fbdf23659c14.png

I don't get headaches, even when I exacerbate the dehydration later (and often during) with whisky. I do have 2 heat related issues though. First is the heart rate spikes with big effort technical climbs. I often just have to stop and recover. And with rides of 4 or 5+ hours, even with the SaltStick Caps, cramps are hard to keep down. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I don't usual add anything to my water, but I do use the hell out of SaltStick Caps at a rate of about 2-3 per hour. 

image.png.33782f2b715cd96b9e58fbdf23659c14.png

I don't get headaches, even when I exacerbate the dehydration later (and often during) with whisky. I do have 2 heat related issues though. First is the heart rate spikes with big effort technical climbs. I often just have to stop and recover. And with rides of 4 or 5+ hours, even with the SaltStick Caps, cramps are hard to keep down. 

Have you tried Sport Legs?  It's the only product that actually makes my endurance riding muscle cramps go away (not electrolyte efficiency cramps, but rather muscular cramps). I already take in 600-800mg sodium per hour.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that @AntonioGG! No, I haven't tried SportsLegs, but 4.6/5 stars on Amazon with 950 ratings? Added to cart + delivered on Friday = I'll be trying them on Saturday. Since there are no electrolytes, it looks like it needs to be combined with SaltStick Caps. And hot weather or not, I often don't ride very hard because I don't want to stress my legs and end up sore. So maybe this will help with that as well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barry said:

Thanks for that @AntonioGG! No, I haven't tried SportsLegs, but 4.6/5 stars on Amazon with 950 ratings? Added to cart + delivered on Friday = I'll be trying them on Saturday. Since there are no electrolytes, it looks like it needs to be combined with SaltStick Caps. And hot weather or not, I often don't ride very hard because I don't want to stress my legs and end up sore. So maybe this will help with that as well. 

When I'm on a bike trip and know I'm riding as much as possible multiple days in a row, I like to pop a handful of SportLegs post ride and before bed. Usually there are about 20 beers in between those doses, so the later one is often forgotten. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barry said:

Yes, I take these only when that quad-lock feeling comes along in addition to my bottle of Inifinit per hour.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:23 PM, throet said:

I always mix powdered drinks like propel in my bladders and have never had an issue. Just rinse the bladder out with water after each ride, let the hose flush while the clean water is in it, and then stick it in the freezer for the next ride. I've never even used soap to clean them. 

Yep, freezer makes all the difference.  I use 3 nuun tabs in my 3L bladder most of the year for every ride. Used to store emptied but not rinsed in fridge and would have to clean at least 2x yearly. Been converted to freezer - emptied, not rinsed, and 1/2 inflated - and have not needed to clean for ~6 mos.  Inflation keeps bag insides from sticking/freezing together...

Edited by ssorgs
supplemental info!
  • Like 2