IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

4 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

Tomorrow? I was out of town didnt realize it rained that much to still be soft.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tomorrow is possible. Rain gauge shows a little under 1.5”. We got a downpour that lasted awhile around 8PM then another shower sometime later in the night. 

• Like 1

Stopped 7 people riding on Peddlers last night. All were newbies (except 1) and didn't know not to ride muddy trails. They were all nice and apologized.

GET READY FOR A RANT.

But that one guy that knew better...eeeerrrrr. It's always some variation of the conversation below with experienced riders when they are busted riding muddy trails.

ME: Trails are too muddy to ride.

THEM: You think so?

ME: Yes.

THEM: I thought so too, I noticed it was a little muddy, but I wasn't sure. I was going to get off the trail in a minute cause it's to muddy. Do you really think it's that bad?

ME: Yes, it's too muddy to ride, look at your wheels they are caked in mud.

THEM: Yeah, I saw that, but didn't think it was that bad.

ME: It's bad, look at the rut under your tire. It takes hours for me to fix all the ruts.

THEM: Thanks for all your work. Ok, I'll get off the trail around the corner.

Of course they don't offer to help, they don't get off their bike and walk, they ride off creating more ruts.

Another funny thing that happens is when an experienced person sees me working and it's too muddy they will exit the trail before they get to me to avoid the conversation above.

• Like 6

On 6/4/2019 at 8:00 AM, ahornsfan said:

I really appreciate the work.  I ride Picnic almost every ride and it will be so nice to have that trimmed.

Went out on gravel bike yesterday around 3:30-4:00. Even the granite sections exposed to the sun were really soft, no standing water but noticeably soft. Also noticed muddy tire tracks and clumps of mud coming from some of the trail exit/entrances. Some people always think they know best or just don't GAF.

48 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

Stopped 7 people riding on Peddlers last night. All were newbies (except 1) and didn't know not to ride muddy trails. They were all nice and apologized.

GET READY FOR A RANT.

But that one guy that knew better...eeeerrrrr. It's always some variation of the conversation below with experienced riders when they are busted riding muddy trails.

THEM: I thought so too, I noticed it was a little muddy, but I wasn't sure. I was going to get off the trail in a minute cause it's to muddy. Do you really think it's that bad?

ME: It's bad, look at the rut under your tire. It takes hours for me to fix all the ruts.

Of course they don't offer to help, they don't get off their bike and walk, they ride off creating more ruts.

Another funny thing that happens is when an experienced person sees me working and it's too muddy they will exit the trail before they get to me to avoid the conversation above.

Went out on gravel bike yesterday around 3:30-4:00. Even the granite sections exposed to the sun were really soft, no standing water but noticeably soft. Also noticed muddy tire tracks and clumps of mud coming from some of the trail exit/entrances. Some people always think they know best or just don't GAF.

• Like 1

I was super sad to come downstairs at 6:30 AM today and see it had rained a good bit.
I needed a good ride this AM. Maybe I'll wait till tonight and ride in the dark so HB can't yell at me ... I kid.
Or I'll ride the Hike n Bike or go elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

No car last 2 weeks and last week was epic weather. Get car back yesterday. Was hoping to ride at least on Saturday. Guess I'll just have to see what NEXT week will be like...unless we suddenly dry out, get a fierce dry wind, then Saturday might be ok. But I'm guessing next week will be next chance.

Edited by jcarneytx

2 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

You realize you hit enter after you typed that, right?

LoL...

I said almost...I sometimes get jealous of their ability to ride virtually all the time. I have a brand new bike that can’t be ridden on trails, and I refuse to do concrete rides on a mtb. That’s probably why I’m super fat right now...and the voracious snacking.

MIGHT even dust off the cx rig. I gotta do something. It’s out of hand. 

• Like 1

Any opinions on what the trail status will be around 5pm today?

And one of the best ways to become a better mountain biker is to to road ride (or put some miles on pavement).   I have a lot more power on the climbs and better endurance since I started road riding regularly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

And one of the best ways to become a better mountain biker is to to road ride (or put some miles on pavement).   I have a lot more power on the climbs and better endurance since I started road riding regularly.

I agree, I tend to do rather long road/gravel rides when the trails are too wet.  

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 7:37 AM, HoneyBadger said:

GET READY FOR A RANT.

Good job. That is a very polite conversation compared to the ones I have had.

Edited by cxagent

23 minutes ago, Albert said:

I agree, I tend to do rather long road/gravel rides when the trails are too wet.  

And if I recall correctly, there was a time when you hated the thought of a dropped-bar bike.  

Most of the time when I discuss road riding with mountain bikers, I can quickly determine that (for the most part), they've never TRULY done proper road rides.  If you think road riding is hopping onto your road bike and heading down Parmer and back, then I can understand you thinking skinny wheels suck.  Thats not unlike someone coming to town, renting a MTB from BSS and then riding the dirt path along Peace Park or Shoal Creek, or even the hike bike trail.  You'd tell them that they really have not done mountain biking.  Well, until you've jumped into a group ride of 6-40 people and covered 40-60 miles through un-traffic country roads (w/multiple cattle guards), then you've really not done proper road riding.  Then taking that concept up a notch to another level would be jumping into one of the weekly "bandit races" that pop up over town.  NOW THAT IS SUPER FUN.  But I do understand thats a unique flavor of the skinny wheel world.

Peace out,

CJB

• Like 2