IGNORED

I want a hard tail

On 5/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, throet said:

This should be on anybody's short list who is looking for a fun, 27.5 hardtail. Just look at those short chainstays! 

I’m all for hard tails and short chain stays, but I have some doubts when head angles get too aggressive 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That Ritchey is exactly what my bike stable/life has been missing.  Shakedown ride at Walnutz was flawless. This is the 1st 29" wheeled bike I've owned and I have to say, it's almost like cheating. Was especially nice to ditch the camelbak and just return to the lot to refill a water bottle. I bet it's been 20+ years of every mountain bike ride with an extra 10-13 pounds of crap on my back.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, I have not mastered the leaving the pack behind but I need to get on that. Every ride has enough tools to fix any major issue but at WC you're never too far out (unlike the GB) so I just need to suck it up and start risking it a little more.

I find that the biggest issue with riding packless is not tools, but carrying enough water. Assuming you have only one frame-mounted cage, and assuming you don’t want to wear a waist pack, you’re down to: Revelate feed bag on the bars (can weight them down), seatpost bottle mount (won’t work with a dropper), or bottles stuffed into your jersey pockets - I use two Camelbak Quick Stows as they are more comfortable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, I have not mastered the leaving the pack behind but I need to get on that. Every ride has enough tools to fix any major issue but at WC you're never too far out (unlike the GB) so I just need to suck it up and start risking it a little more.

It's ok at WC, not sure I would ride anywhere else without  a CB. I'm definitely weighing options for waist packs, water bottles, steer tube multi-tools, seat bags, etc. I'm done carrying all that shit on my back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JRA said:

This is the 1st 29" wheeled bike I've owned and I have to say, it's almost like cheating. 

Welcome to 2007, its funny to hear the last 29er holdouts make the same statements we made back a decade ago when the "big debate" was taking pace.

Signed, "no camel backs for me", -CJB

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JRA said:

It's ok at WC, not sure I would ride anywhere else without  a CB. I'm definitely weighing options for waist packs, water bottles, steer tube multi-tools, seat bags, etc. I'm done carrying all that shit on my back.

I typically do an early (half) lap and a longer lap once everyone shows up, so having extra water and ice in the car could help out in that situation as a refueling.

47 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Welcome to 2007, its funny to hear the last 29er holdouts make the same statements we made back a decade ago when the "big debate" was taking pace.

I was a holdout for a long time because the early 29ers had crap geometry. A couple of generations of learnings and getting things dialed in made all the difference. In 2007 I was a skeptic and by 2012 I was a believer, but a lot happened in those 5 years. Geometry changed, I didn’t, they came around to me, not the other way around. 

2 hours ago, JRA said:

Fix-It Sticks attach under the cage mount: https://www.backcountry.com/fix-it-sticks-original-tool-with-bracket

This bad boy will hold your tube, tire tools, CO2, band aids and probably your phone. Mine is mounted on the top tube below the saddle.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/top-tube-pack/p/155212

At this point, it's just down to the water. I've been riding all our central Texas trails, including the Green Belt, without a pack for 2+ years now.

I also have a waist pack, and it's way better than a backpack - you really don't notice it. Cons: less water volume, and they haven't figured out how to clip the tube on properly (I tuck it through the belt strap).

Edited by TAF
  • Like 1

My setup whenever it’s less than a 2.5 hour ride, and less than 90 degrees out. 

Slam a 20oz or larger Gatorade right before heading out. 25oz camelback water bottle in the frame. Osprey Savu with wallet, phone, key(s), tire levers, pump, bacon strips, multi tool. Tube strapped to the saddle with voile strap. 

I’ve yet to have a problem. Had this setup for 16 miles at reveille yesterday and it works great. Had to use a bacon strip In the middle of nowhere on the rear tire. 

Edited by bestbike85

5 hours ago, TAF said:

Fix-It Sticks attach under the cage mount: https://www.backcountry.com/fix-it-sticks-original-tool-with-bracket

This bad boy will hold your tube, tire tools, CO2, band aids and probably your phone. Mine is mounted on the top tube below the saddle.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/top-tube-pack/p/155212

At this point, it's just down to the water. I've been riding all our central Texas trails, including the Green Belt, without a pack for 2+ years now.

I also have a waist pack, and it's way better than a backpack - you really don't notice it. Cons: less water volume, and they haven't figured out how to clip the tube on properly (I tuck it through the belt strap).

On topic: go for it - get a HT

Pack discussion: I’ll never go back to a full backpack style unless in a remote place with cool temps.  I have the camelbak palos waist pack and carry 50oz water, levers, snack, tube, pump, patches, plug kit, garage door opener. I don’t notice it any longer. 

I have a HT, just a tame one: non-boost, 27.5, 100mm of budget fork travel. Really aside from the fork I've really enjoyed the bike and even then I've been impressed with the fork for what it is. But this thread got me curious and with the help of ShineRider's spare front wheel I put my 26'r 150mm Talas from my FS on it and rode it for the PP race and a single lap on 1/4 notch to see whether I'd like to replace 1 or both of my bikes with one of the numerous bikes listed above. I rarely missed my FS on either of those trails. Mostly because I'm not what you'd call an aggressive rider, I'm happy just to clear features and stay on the pedals. I could definitely see where a 27.5+ HT could be a fun, "do-it-most" bike. 

19 hours ago, CBaron said:

@CBaron I think I've told you this story.  In 2011 I did the Cohutta 100 in Georgia.  By then 29ers were already a common bike in Austin.  But in Georgia they seemed to be rare.  I remember a pack of 26er guys watching me fly through a root garden yelling "look at those big wheels go!".   

@JRA , your first impression of 29ers is exactly my impression.  They are a big advantage in most situations.

• Like 2

Yeah, back in 06' I had a good friend who was sponsored by Orbea.  Ronnie Points (former Cen-Tex racer) was the brand manger for Orbea and convinced the company to release the aluminum Alma HT 29er (in 1 size only).  My buddy was given a pre-rproduction bike to ride/race for half the TMBRA season.  He talked about being conflicted about the situation.  Because as a sponsored rider he needed to givn accolades and talk about how great the bikes was....but he didn't really want to do that because he felt it was *that* much of an advantage over his competition.  It was shortly after that, I believe, that I bought my first 29er (Surly KM) and ended up winning the Excruciation Exam (Torture Test) that same year on it.

Good times!

-CJB

• Like 2